Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:44
English to French
Mar 28, 2011

Hello,

When translating some document with Word 2007 and Workbench (SDL Trados 2007), the target segment is always set to English (instead of French). I have selected all document and applied French. I have French installed and selected in the Office language tools as my only input language. I have French selected as my OS language. I have an EN>FR TM active.

I created a macro to apply French every time, but it a bit cumbersome to apply it on every segment.

... See more
Hello,

When translating some document with Word 2007 and Workbench (SDL Trados 2007), the target segment is always set to English (instead of French). I have selected all document and applied French. I have French installed and selected in the Office language tools as my only input language. I have French selected as my OS language. I have an EN>FR TM active.

I created a macro to apply French every time, but it a bit cumbersome to apply it on every segment.

Any idea? Thanks.

[Edited at 2011-03-28 16:07 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Switch the automatic language recognition off Mar 28, 2011

This is one of the most annoying and translator-hostile features in Word.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I did that, at least... Mar 28, 2011

Hi Jerzy!

Well, I did that already, at least in the Revision > Language setting (from the ribbon)... It doesn't care however. And when I go back to it it's checked again.

Another thing to note is that when I apply my macro (change language to French), translate a segment, close it, open it again, it's in English again. And it doesn't happen here and there but on every single segment of the document...

Jacques

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check the styles, if those are not set to automatcially adapt the settings Mar 28, 2011

Select also the text part in question and check, if there is no auto sdelection of language. Also check, if you did not set up in Word, that keyboard shall be switched automatically according the language.

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
It's the styles indeed, apparently Mar 29, 2011

Hi Jerzy,

This came too late for this project, but I just got back to it to test your last suggestions. And indeed when I saw the Normal style had "English" forced, and when I chose French+do-not-detect instead for the Normal style, it suppressed any language information from the style (French being the default language), and now it seems to work correctly.

Thanks a lot, it'll help some other time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words 2007 keeps changing the language back to English

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »