Is there a "best" Vietnamese font?
Thread poster: Dr. Francisco Guerrero
Dr. Francisco Guerrero
Dr. Francisco Guerrero  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 20, 2011

At the school district were I work, I have to handle some translations in Vietnamese. I even had to install the VIN font so I can, at lest, compare translations; (I do not speak or write Vietnamese).
Is there any better font than another? Is there one that is being used more than others? Any difference, and if there is, is it very important? Can someone read in Vietnamese better with one font than with another?

Thank you,

Francisco

Phong Le
Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 13:12
Vietnamese
+ ...
Vietnamese language May 21, 2011

There are basically below Vietnamese font types (Each Vietnamese font type have many fonts.):

1) Unicode, e.g. Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma, etc
2) VNI for Windows, e.g. VNI-Times, VNI-Help, etc
3) TCVN3 (ABC), e.g. .VNI
4) Vietware
5) BK HCM
6) some others

There are basically below typing style (input keystroke):

1) VNI (more popular in south of Vietnam, e.g. Ho chi minh city)
2) Telex (more popular in middle of Vietna
... See more
There are basically below Vietnamese font types (Each Vietnamese font type have many fonts.):

1) Unicode, e.g. Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma, etc
2) VNI for Windows, e.g. VNI-Times, VNI-Help, etc
3) TCVN3 (ABC), e.g. .VNI
4) Vietware
5) BK HCM
6) some others

There are basically below typing style (input keystroke):

1) VNI (more popular in south of Vietnam, e.g. Ho chi minh city)
2) Telex (more popular in middle of Vietnam, e.g. Da Nang)
3) Some others

Any typing style can be used to type any Vietnamese font.

It is required to have a software to type any Vietnamese font.
It is required to install Vietnamese fonts to read Vietnamese in word format, text, etc, but not required to read text on a photo or pdf file.
Only text with Unicode font, you don't need to install addtional font to read since Unicode font is available in Windows.

One of the most popular software (free) is Unikey.

Is there any better font than another?
A: Not really, up to you.
Is there one that is being used more than others?
A: Not really, depends on the users and the city.
Any difference, and if there is, is it very important?
A: No difference, but if you google the same word by diferent font, you have different results, same in word file or pdf file. If the text is in Unicode font and you search by VNI font, no result.
Can someone read in Vietnamese better with one font than with another?
A: No, can not. All read the same. Only typing could be differrent but the result is same.

Any thing unclear, just let me know
Collapse

Dr. Francisco Guerrero
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there a "best" Vietnamese font? May 23, 2011

Thank you Phong Le, for such an enlightening lecture on fonts!

Yes, I do have another question, what about the VPS font? Is it just "another" font, or is it one that would really make a difference when reading? Someone asked me if we could present our bulletins using the VPS font; would that make a difference?

Thank you again,

Francisco

Phong Le
Vietnam
Vietnamese
+ ...
VPS font May 24, 2011

Thanks for the question. I know one more style of font. They are actually the same font but similar to hand written and sometimes hard to read since each person write differently. They use a, b, c ..... same with all other fonts. Like you are familiar with a dog with short tail and short fur (Unicode font), and first time you see a dog with very long tail and very long fur (VPS font).

Like a pen. People can design many outlook of the pen but most of the pens you can define it at the
... See more
Thanks for the question. I know one more style of font. They are actually the same font but similar to hand written and sometimes hard to read since each person write differently. They use a, b, c ..... same with all other fonts. Like you are familiar with a dog with short tail and short fur (Unicode font), and first time you see a dog with very long tail and very long fur (VPS font).

Like a pen. People can design many outlook of the pen but most of the pens you can define it at the first glance. A very few other pen, you must look at them carefully to know that it is a pen.

In my understanding, Unicode and VNI font are the most popular. If you google for the same text in unicode font, you will find more results, then less in VNI font and then less in other.

Example: If I google "city" in Vietnamese:

1) by unicode: 128.000.000 results
2) by VNI: 195.000 results
3) TCVN ABC: 148.000 results
Collapse

Dr. Francisco Guerrero
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there a "best" Vietnamese font? May 24, 2011

Thank you Phong Le; that helped me a lot.

Francisco

Phong Le
Vietnam
Vietnamese
+ ...
My pleasure May 27, 2011

My pleasure

Van225 (X)
Van225 (X)
Most popular font used for Vietnamese language Apr 25, 2012

Hi,

Arial and Times New Romance (used with Unicode) are the 2 most used fonts for Vietnamese language documents, both in Vietnam and in the U.S.

Most popular typing style is VNI (vs Telex and some others)

Hope it helps.
Van.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a "best" Vietnamese font?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »