Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 21, 2012

This happened to me yesterday. I had used an empty table in Word and copied and pasted some bits of text from pdf for translation with WFC. For one page I used abbyy finereader, which delivered a small table in a separate doc, which I copied and pasted into a cell of my big table. Then I started to translate in WFC the usual way.
After a few pages I exited WFC and saved the doc and took a break. When I came back Word displayed a message saying the maximum number of pages Word supports was
... See more
This happened to me yesterday. I had used an empty table in Word and copied and pasted some bits of text from pdf for translation with WFC. For one page I used abbyy finereader, which delivered a small table in a separate doc, which I copied and pasted into a cell of my big table. Then I started to translate in WFC the usual way.
After a few pages I exited WFC and saved the doc and took a break. When I came back Word displayed a message saying the maximum number of pages Word supports was reached.

What had happened? The doc had grown to more than 2000 pages, but only the first few rows of my table were repeated all over. Also the file on my hard drive was corrupted this way.

So I had to start all over with a new table. I restarted Windows first. Today I finished this file in WFC and cleaned it. When I sent it to my proofreader I opened the file again by clicking it in my attachment window. Word opened it but showed a warning, table may be corrupted! I closed the warning and the file looked ok.

So I'm eager to know if this has happened to any of you. I have used Word XP for 10 years and only switched to 2010 half a year ago. This is the first experience of this kind.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Strange way Feb 22, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
For one page I used abbyy finereader, which delivered a small table in a separate doc, which I copied and pasted into a cell of my big table. Then I started to translate in WFC the usual way.

So you are pasting a table inside the cell of another table, then translating this nested content with Wordfast Classic?! What a strange way of doing things!

I had never done that before, so I tried it, and it even worked: I could translate the few sample segments of the nested table, then clean-up the entire document.

Your corruption problem probably has something to do with the table created by FineReader. Word documents created by third-party applications (eg. PDF converters) are not equal to Word documents created from within Word.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Abbyy table was not the reason Feb 23, 2012

This glitch is not related to Abbyy Finereader or Wordfast. Even when I remove the rows with the content from Abbyy the problem remains.

What I didn't mention in my initial posting (because I thought it could not relate to the problem) was, that I had split one cell from the original table into three columns and 8 rows, which should cause no problems for Word.

But this split cell with it content represents a challenge to OpenOffice Writer and Word's pdf-creator. When I
... See more
This glitch is not related to Abbyy Finereader or Wordfast. Even when I remove the rows with the content from Abbyy the problem remains.

What I didn't mention in my initial posting (because I thought it could not relate to the problem) was, that I had split one cell from the original table into three columns and 8 rows, which should cause no problems for Word.

But this split cell with it content represents a challenge to OpenOffice Writer and Word's pdf-creator. When I open the file in OO or create a pdf from it the split cell is not shown properly and the content is lost.

The reason might be that my original file is a Word doc-file and Word 2010 worked in compatibility mode when I split the cell. Even when I save as docx the cell causes problems.

Hopefully this is a one-off glitch, in future I will work only with docx-files.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2010 corrupting tables?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »