How do I edit the text of a page reference?
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 00:51
German to Romanian
+ ...
Sep 10, 2004

I have had page references before, but they were always numbers.
Now I have one (working with Trados) that looks like this:
Das Füllvolumen entnehmen Sie den „TECHNISCHEN DATEN“, {PAGEREF}.

In the document, it appears as:
Das Füllvolumen entnehmen Sie den „TECHNISCHEN DATEN“, unten.

How can I edit the text to retain the page reference and change only the text?
Thank you.

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
via right-click? Sep 10, 2004

Have you tried right-clicking the link and select "edit" or "properties", something like that? There should be a box where you can change the display text of the link.

HTH
Stefan

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
or... Sep 10, 2004

if it's pulled in from the target page? Have you tried changing the actual heading/title (or whatever) on the page being referred to?

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
shift +F9 Sep 10, 2004

Looks like you're seeing the field codes rather than the contents of the fields. Try Shift+F9 in Word, that should display the numbers again.

I find it helpful to set field shading to "always" (under Tools>Options, and I think it's on the View tab) - that way I can see fields in the source text and copy them as placeables.

From the Word 2003 help:
To show or hide the field code (field code: Placeholder text that shows where specified information from your data so
... See more
Looks like you're seeing the field codes rather than the contents of the fields. Try Shift+F9 in Word, that should display the numbers again.

I find it helpful to set field shading to "always" (under Tools>Options, and I think it's on the View tab) - that way I can see fields in the source text and copy them as placeables.

From the Word 2003 help:
To show or hide the field code (field code: Placeholder text that shows where specified information from your data source will appear; the elements in a field that generate a field's result. The field code includes the field characters, field type, and instructions.) for a specific field, click the field or the field results (field results: Text or graphics inserted in a document when Microsoft Word carries out a field's instructions. When you print the document or hide field codes, the field results replace the field codes.), and then press SHIFT+F9.
To show or hide field codes for all fields in the document, press ALT+F9.

HTH
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Response Sep 10, 2004

To Ulrike:
Thanks, but it's not that. I am seeing the text, but instead of having something like "see page 3" (where 3 is a reference field), I have "see on the page below" where below is a reference field referring to a page.

I have tried the righ-click, but I have seen no field for editing the text of the reference field.

It's not a title either, which I could update, but a page number reference. (If I click on the link, it takes me to the page with the technica
... See more
To Ulrike:
Thanks, but it's not that. I am seeing the text, but instead of having something like "see page 3" (where 3 is a reference field), I have "see on the page below" where below is a reference field referring to a page.

I have tried the righ-click, but I have seen no field for editing the text of the reference field.

It's not a title either, which I could update, but a page number reference. (If I click on the link, it takes me to the page with the technical data.)

[Edited at 2004-09-10 16:26]
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I think it is a Word default, dependent on the language version Sep 11, 2004

I can tell you how I reproduced the same, but not how to edit it... It comes from Word and the text depends on the language version you are using. You could maybe edit it to show the page number:

I placed a Cross Reference (Place > Reference > Cross Reference - I'm translating these commands from my Italian Word, so actual command names may be different from what I'm quoting here)
In the Cross Reference dialog box, I selected Title in the top left pop-up box, and the title of
... See more
I can tell you how I reproduced the same, but not how to edit it... It comes from Word and the text depends on the language version you are using. You could maybe edit it to show the page number:

I placed a Cross Reference (Place > Reference > Cross Reference - I'm translating these commands from my Italian Word, so actual command names may be different from what I'm quoting here)
In the Cross Reference dialog box, I selected Title in the top left pop-up box, and the title of the section that I want to refer to in the large box below this pop-up menu.
In the top right pop-up menu (Place Reference to, or similar), I selected "Above/Below", at the bottom of the list.
The result is that my cross reference text now appears as "più sotto" (Italian for below). I fiddled around with various options, but could not find any way of changing this default text.

What you could do is select the "unten" bit, then in Place > Reference > Cross Reference you could change to display the page number instead.

HtH,
Roberta
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I edit the text of a page reference?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »