Word closes when I add term to custom dictionary
Thread poster: Andy Wright
Andy Wright
Andy Wright
Local time: 19:45
Spanish to English
Oct 28, 2004

I am using Word 2004 on a Mac with OSX Panther. I have updated all my software, scanned for viruses and replaced normal.dot more than once.

Problem: With random frequency, when I add a word to my custom dictionary Word just shuts down. Often, when I restart Word I can add words with no problem, but I always cross my fingers.

Has this ever happened to you?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:45
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Moving the thread Oct 28, 2004

to Office Applications forum.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:45
Polish to English
+ ...
Size? Oct 29, 2004

If I recall, the size of the custom dictionary is limited to 10 000 words.
Open the custom.dic file and see what is hiding there. Maybe you can delete some words to slim it dow a little.
If you absolutely need all the words (presumably you do), then set up another custom dictionary (call it custom2) and set it as the default, so you will be adding new words to the new dictionary and keep the culprit off to the side. You will still be able to use it, you just won't be adding any more
... See more
If I recall, the size of the custom dictionary is limited to 10 000 words.
Open the custom.dic file and see what is hiding there. Maybe you can delete some words to slim it dow a little.
If you absolutely need all the words (presumably you do), then set up another custom dictionary (call it custom2) and set it as the default, so you will be adding new words to the new dictionary and keep the culprit off to the side. You will still be able to use it, you just won't be adding any more words to it.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski
Warsaw, Poland
Collapse

Andy Wright
Andy Wright
Local time: 19:45
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
could be... Oct 31, 2004

Well, my dictionary is much smaller than 10,000 words, I'm sure. And another thing that makes me skeptical of your theory is that the problem occurs randomly; sometimes I can add words with no problem. But you have given me some ideas and I am going to do some more trouble shooting. Thank you for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word closes when I add term to custom dictionary

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »