How to manipulate smart quotes in Word 2010?
Thread poster: Mary Ann Kenned
Mary Ann Kenned
Mary Ann Kenned
United Kingdom
Dec 18, 2013

Hello,

I work principally in Scottish Gaelic translation where there is a frequent use of an apostrophe to indicate a dropped letter at the beginning of the word. e.g. ’S e for Is e.

Word defaults to using an 'open' single smart quote mark if it's at the beginning of a word, rather than a 'close' one which is what I need - is there a way of being able to change this setting?

I'd like to continue using the smart quotes rather than the standard ones, but
... See more
Hello,

I work principally in Scottish Gaelic translation where there is a frequent use of an apostrophe to indicate a dropped letter at the beginning of the word. e.g. ’S e for Is e.

Word defaults to using an 'open' single smart quote mark if it's at the beginning of a word, rather than a 'close' one which is what I need - is there a way of being able to change this setting?

I'd like to continue using the smart quotes rather than the standard ones, but I realise I might be wanting my cake and eat it on this one, as I suspect a change to default will then impact on other usage such as standard quotations.

Many thanks in advance.

MA
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
German to English
+ ...
Alt and numeric keypad Dec 19, 2013

‘ ’ Are these the "smart quotes" you want? I inserted them by typing Alt+0145 and Alt+0146 (the appearance was the same when I did it in a Word2000 document).
While pressing the Alt key, type the 4-digit number on the numeric keypad (including the leading zero, and make sure 'num lock' is on). In the Word doc, in Times New Roman font, they look a bit like superscript 6 and superscript 9.

Oliver

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Use Ilya Birman’s layout Dec 20, 2013

What Micro$oft calls “smart quotes” is quite a stupid thing, since conventional character input should be left to the OS rather than to an application program. Try Ilya Birman’s layout to type exactly what you need.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 15:33
English to German
Autocorrect feature Dec 20, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

What Micro$oft calls “smart quotes” is quite a stupid thing, since conventional character input should be left to the OS rather than to an application program.

Right.

In MS Word I (mis)use the Autocorrect feature for such things.
E. g. Replace (ccc) by © or Replace (>>>) by ». The "Replace while typing" box must be checked.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Insert Symbol Dec 21, 2013

This will give you an easy key combination to put it in any time you want.

Mary Ann Kenned
Mary Ann Kenned
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Moran taing! Dec 21, 2013

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will go and play about to find the most user-friendly one for me. Great resource, your forum - moran taing!

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:33
Portuguese to English
Welcome! Dec 21, 2013

Hello Mary Ann,

Welcome to ProZ.com, and to the forum.

The other users are always very helpful, and I'm sure you'll enjoy helping and being helped by the ProZ.coom community.

As one of the moderators of this forum, if I can do anything to help with your use of the site, please don't hesitate to ask.

You work with a very interesting language, and I'm sure our collective experience will be enhanced by your participation here.

All the
... See more
Hello Mary Ann,

Welcome to ProZ.com, and to the forum.

The other users are always very helpful, and I'm sure you'll enjoy helping and being helped by the ProZ.coom community.

As one of the moderators of this forum, if I can do anything to help with your use of the site, please don't hesitate to ask.

You work with a very interesting language, and I'm sure our collective experience will be enhanced by your participation here.

All the best for now,

Mark
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to manipulate smart quotes in Word 2010?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »