PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
Polish to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2004

Windows 2000 + Office 2003 with all updates
printer: HP 7660 photosmart with latest drivers
scanner: HP 4470c

When a JPG file is pasted into Word 2003 (using any method - insert picture, direct copy and paste etc.) the picture in the document prints 2 or 3 compressed "copies" of the image in the space of the original image, one underneath the other.

The image in the Word window and in print preview looks normal.
It does not happen to all JPG files, but
... See more
Windows 2000 + Office 2003 with all updates
printer: HP 7660 photosmart with latest drivers
scanner: HP 4470c

When a JPG file is pasted into Word 2003 (using any method - insert picture, direct copy and paste etc.) the picture in the document prints 2 or 3 compressed "copies" of the image in the space of the original image, one underneath the other.

The image in the Word window and in print preview looks normal.
It does not happen to all JPG files, but I am unable to determine if there is any 'rule'.
Other graphics formats (BMP, TIF, EMF) are not affected. When I convert the 'bad' JPG into another format, it prints correctly.
The JPG that prints bad in Word prints correctly in other applications (e.g. IrfanView, Photo Shop Album)
The issue appears in a number of forums, e.g. here: http://www.mcse.ms/archive187-2004-3-495638.html
and also on the Microsoft newsgroups site.
This problem did not occur in Word 2000. I don't know about Word XP.
The JPG files are very slightly compressed, 200-300 dpi. Colour and grayscale scans are affected equally.
A certain Susan Barnhill of MS suggests to turn off printer spooling and turn on the 'send direct to printer' option. This fixes the problem, but causes work to be a pain.
I would prefer not to convert all my JPGs into BMPs, because I will run out of disk space...

Has anyone experienced the problem?
Is there a solution?
Is there life beyond Redmond?

TIA for any and all suggestions and/or expressions of sympathy

Pawel Skalinski
Warsaw, Poland

p.s. this should have been posted in Office Applications. sorry.

[Edited at 2004-11-04 08:31]
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:33
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Moved it... Nov 4, 2004

PAS wrote:

p.s. this should have been posted in Office Applications. sorry.

...to the Office forum.
Unfortunately, that's all I can do - don't know any remedy for this problem.

Magda

Prisma
Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
JPG problem Nov 4, 2004

I would be really interested in finding out if you can produce the same result with a different printer / printer driver.

The library handling just JPEG files in Office 2003 has been patched in service pack 1 (see MS04-028 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-028.mspx), but I've never heard of this effect.

Is there any chance
... See more
I would be really interested in finding out if you can produce the same result with a different printer / printer driver.

The library handling just JPEG files in Office 2003 has been patched in service pack 1 (see MS04-028 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-028.mspx), but I've never heard of this effect.

Is there any chance you could install another copy of your printer using an older/different driver and test?

There is a very slim chance the picturefiles have something besides picture information in them I suppose, as this is what security bulletin MS04-028 was all about.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

JPG printing problem in Word 2003

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »