Line spacing in Word
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:06
French to English
Feb 3, 2014

I am translating an assignment using Word 2007. The document is 34 pages long. For some reason, on page 10, the spacing changed from single space to double space. I tried to have it revert by changing styles to 2003 which usually works but it did not. I then used the "paragraph" tool to change to "1" for spacing, selected it as default, but it continued to double space.

Next I went to "Paragraph", Indents and Spacing. I selected line spacing as "single", clicked "default" and closed
... See more
I am translating an assignment using Word 2007. The document is 34 pages long. For some reason, on page 10, the spacing changed from single space to double space. I tried to have it revert by changing styles to 2003 which usually works but it did not. I then used the "paragraph" tool to change to "1" for spacing, selected it as default, but it continued to double space.

Next I went to "Paragraph", Indents and Spacing. I selected line spacing as "single", clicked "default" and closed. No luck.

On the "Home" tab there is an option also where you choose the line spacing. I selected "1", but that did not work either.

I thought I would erase page 10, translate it elsewhere and re-insert it. But it seems when you remove a page it moves onto the next one, with the material from11 on 10 and so forth.

I guess this involves 2 questions.
1. How do you change the line spacing?
2. And just as serious, how do you manipulate the entire document do you can remove and re-insert a page.

Thanks for any help.
I am a good translator (if I so say so myself) but a lousy typist.
Jessie
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 18:06
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Word XP Feb 3, 2014

I don't know anything about the later versions, Jessie, but I have encountered a similar problem once in my dear old Office XP.

What I eventually found was that although the LINE spacing was correctly set, at one point in my document, for some unknown reason, somebody had set the 'line spacing' to 'exactly' or some such and entered a point value, and it was that which was messing everything up!

If you try 'select all' and then Format > Paragraph, you should be ab
... See more
I don't know anything about the later versions, Jessie, but I have encountered a similar problem once in my dear old Office XP.

What I eventually found was that although the LINE spacing was correctly set, at one point in my document, for some unknown reason, somebody had set the 'line spacing' to 'exactly' or some such and entered a point value, and it was that which was messing everything up!

If you try 'select all' and then Format > Paragraph, you should be able to see if it is ALL set to 'single' with NO 'At:' value next to it; if, however, any of that is greyed-out or blank, then somewhere in your document there must be a spurious code lurking! If nowhere in your document actually uses any special paragraph formatting (like before / after spacing,e tc.), then maybe you could try 'Select all' and set it THERE?

As for deleting a page, I never have any trouble with that, but of course, you do need to 'Show ¶' in order to make sure you don't (for example) delete a 'Section break' by mistake!

[Modifié le 2014-02-03 23:58 GMT]
Collapse

Jessie Nelson
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
When do you use "select all" Feb 4, 2014

Hi Tony,
By select all, do you mean the usual selection of text method.? Or is it something else under the spacing menu?
Thanks.
Jessie

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I presume you have the ribbon Feb 4, 2014

Select the text you have the problem with.

Click on the Home tab.

On the section "Paragraph" of the ribbon, click on the little quare on the right of the word "Paragraph" or on the line spacing button (the name of the button appears when you slowly move the mouse over it).

Indent and Spacing tab: make sure spacing = 0" everywhere (a spacing "after" or "before" of 12 pts looks like double space) and line spacing = single.

Line and page breaks t
... See more
Select the text you have the problem with.

Click on the Home tab.

On the section "Paragraph" of the ribbon, click on the little quare on the right of the word "Paragraph" or on the line spacing button (the name of the button appears when you slowly move the mouse over it).

Indent and Spacing tab: make sure spacing = 0" everywhere (a spacing "after" or "before" of 12 pts looks like double space) and line spacing = single.

Line and page breaks tab: make sure Page break before is unchecked.

Should you not solve the problem, feel free to send the document to me, adding "Double Space Problem" in the subject line.

Note that if you close the document and Word et reopen it 2 minutes later, the problem may have disasppear and it will not be an hallucination... Believe me!

P.S.: another solution would be to select the text - CTRL-X (cut), CTRL-N (open a new document), CTRL-V (insert). Check if you can solve the problem in this new document using the paragraph line spacing button. Once it's done, select, CTRL-C (copy), CTRL-F6 (previous document), CTRL-V (insert).

If all this doesn't work, there may be a hidden code at the very beginning of the problem. Usually, deleting one line before and after is enough to solve the issue.

[Edited at 2014-02-04 04:01 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 18:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Chacun a son goût... Feb 4, 2014

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but my reaction is "why is this an issue for the translator"?
When I translate texts I deal only with the words, not the spaces between the lines, nor indeed any other formatting tasks, which I consider "donkey work" that someone more expert in DTP can do. My modus operandi means I can offer a reasonable rate for my services... and none of my clients expects me to deal with formatting issues like this anyway.

Jessie Nelson
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
line spacing Feb 4, 2014

Hi Germaine,
I have carefully tried the things you suggested with no sucess.
It seems you cannot attach things to the "response" system on Proz, using the "e-mail"
from your personal page. You will need to send me your e-mail privately, if you so choose, so I can forward the document.
My e-mail is [email protected].
I can then respond attaching the document.
Regards,
Jessie Nelson

Jessie Nelson
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Taste and other issues Feb 7, 2014

Hello Neilmac,
Wanted to get back to you on your comment.
I absolutely agree with you that the formatting should not be my problem, but unfortunately the agencies I work for believe that it is.
It is easy to say find new agencies, that I have found that the majority require that I do the formatting.
I was successful in having them change it from PDF to Word, which is progress, but I have Abby Fine Reader to do that now myself.
I am glad you have a better work situat
... See more
Hello Neilmac,
Wanted to get back to you on your comment.
I absolutely agree with you that the formatting should not be my problem, but unfortunately the agencies I work for believe that it is.
It is easy to say find new agencies, that I have found that the majority require that I do the formatting.
I was successful in having them change it from PDF to Word, which is progress, but I have Abby Fine Reader to do that now myself.
I am glad you have a better work situation and wish you continued success.

Jessie Nelson RN BSN
French/English medical translator
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 19:06
English to Russian
+ ...
re Mar 15, 2014

Jessie Nelson wrote:

Next I went to "Paragraph", Indents and Spacing. I selected line spacing as "single", clicked "default" and closed. No luck.

On the "Home" tab there is an option also where you choose the line spacing. I selected "1", but that did not work either.

I thought I would erase page 10, translate it elsewhere and re-insert it. But it seems when you remove a page it moves onto the next one, with the material from11 on 10 and so forth.

I guess this involves 2 questions.
1. How do you change the line spacing?
2. And just as serious, how do you manipulate the entire document do you can remove and re-insert a page.

Thanks for any help.
I am a good translator (if I so say so myself) but a lousy typist.
Jessie

Seem to be doc was originally created in SE Asian countries and uses hieroglyphs grid

here the macro to solve problem

Sub Macro1_NOGRID()
'
ActiveDocument.Styles("Normal").ParagraphFormat.DisableLineHeightGrid = True
End Sub

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
the idiot's way Mar 16, 2014

To be honest, I find most of these knowledgeable answers quite confusing.

I have come across issues like this before and simply highlight the affected text, select "clear all formatting" under "styles". Whatever it is that causes the line spacing issue is removed. Then reset the font, justification etc. as required. I find it much easier to start from scratch than to try and fix whatever is broken.

I understand you want to keep a blank page? Then go to the "insert" tab
... See more
To be honest, I find most of these knowledgeable answers quite confusing.

I have come across issues like this before and simply highlight the affected text, select "clear all formatting" under "styles". Whatever it is that causes the line spacing issue is removed. Then reset the font, justification etc. as required. I find it much easier to start from scratch than to try and fix whatever is broken.

I understand you want to keep a blank page? Then go to the "insert" tab, and click on page break. If you are re-inserting the page anyway, I simply wouldn't do anything, as the page numbers will readjust after the insertion.
Collapse

Jessie Nelson
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Diana Mar 16, 2014

Thanks Diana,
I am going to try this soluton.
Regards,
Jessie

Jessie Nelson
United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to Mikhailo Mar 16, 2014

Thanks so much Mikhailo for taking the time to reply.

Jessie Nelson RN BSN

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Line spacing in Word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »