Thread poster: Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
French to English
Feb 25, 2014

Hi everyone
I received an assignment to translate in the form of a RTF file.

The project manager said he was sending me a doc file, so I thought it was a Word file.
When I received it and saw it was a RTF file, I converted it to Word using Wordfast Anywhere.
The file did not behave well, moving text around and such, making it hard to translate.

I got back in touch with the Project Manager, and he then told me the client wanted an RTF file, not a doc fi
... See more
Hi everyone
I received an assignment to translate in the form of a RTF file.

The project manager said he was sending me a doc file, so I thought it was a Word file.
When I received it and saw it was a RTF file, I converted it to Word using Wordfast Anywhere.
The file did not behave well, moving text around and such, making it hard to translate.

I got back in touch with the Project Manager, and he then told me the client wanted an RTF file, not a doc file. So I tried translating into the file. It had two columns with the material in red on one side to be ignored. The material in black was to be translated. The second side of the page was for my translation.

You probably guessed by now it did not go well. The top right column on each page would not let me enter text. Is there a way around this.

Regards,
Jessie Nelson RN BSN
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 21:17
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Save .RTF as .DOC Feb 25, 2014

Normally, faced with this situation, I simply save a copy of my source .rtf file, selecting '.doc' as the format when saving; I then treat it in all ways as a normal .doc file, and usually deliver it back to the customer as such; if they really insist they MUST have an .rtf file, then I simply save my finished .doc file back out again as a .rtf — the only inconvenient being that the .rtf file can sometimes be MUCH larger than the equivalent .doc file, which can be a nuisance if you have a slow... See more
Normally, faced with this situation, I simply save a copy of my source .rtf file, selecting '.doc' as the format when saving; I then treat it in all ways as a normal .doc file, and usually deliver it back to the customer as such; if they really insist they MUST have an .rtf file, then I simply save my finished .doc file back out again as a .rtf — the only inconvenient being that the .rtf file can sometimes be MUCH larger than the equivalent .doc file, which can be a nuisance if you have a slow upload speed.

In all my years of operating like this, I have never once had any kind of formatting or stability problems, both with and without the use of a CAT tool.

I do not know exactly what was the cause of the problems you experienced, but it may be that the original document was in some way unstable.
Collapse

Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 25, 2014

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply.

I am finding that the files I am being sent from this agency have some problems.
The text sometimes moves around, and I was told the last time they did not format well.
However this does not help me.
I got rid of my Trados because I found the user service unwieldy.
The files they are sending me now, are extremely boring, long columns of similar material.
It does not even feel like translating but I could use the mon
... See more
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply.

I am finding that the files I am being sent from this agency have some problems.
The text sometimes moves around, and I was told the last time they did not format well.
However this does not help me.
I got rid of my Trados because I found the user service unwieldy.
The files they are sending me now, are extremely boring, long columns of similar material.
It does not even feel like translating but I could use the money.
Regards,
Jessie
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Feb 26, 2014

Tony M wrote:

Normally, faced with this situation, I simply save a copy of my source .rtf file, selecting '.doc' as the format when saving; I then treat it in all ways as a normal .doc file, and usually deliver it back to the customer as such; if they really insist they MUST have an .rtf file, then I simply save my finished .doc file back out again as a .rtf — the only inconvenient being that the .rtf file can sometimes be MUCH larger than the equivalent .doc file, which can be a nuisance if you have a slow upload speed.

This is what I do too and I've never had any problems doing it that way. Sometimes I convert it into simple text (.txt) to work on it if I want to get rid of all the formatting etc, then convert it back into Word or RTF.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RTF to Word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »