Adrien Lambert
Adrien Lambert  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:03
English to French
+ ...
Apr 4, 2014

Hello,

A client made some updates in a Word document (with Track changes enabled). In order to charge them for this job (translating the updates), I would like to know if there is a way to quantify the updates. I am using Word 2010.

Does anyone know how?

Many thanks.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Roughly… Apr 4, 2014

I think, as follows. Backup your document (it’s always wise to do). Accept all changes. Analyze against the translation memory used and populated with translation of your previous document.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Word macros Apr 4, 2014

There's a Word macro that will count insertions in tracked changes, as I mentioned in my blog post here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/08/03/track-changes/

and there's one that counts insertions and deletions, as mentioned by Shai Nave in
... See more
There's a Word macro that will count insertions in tracked changes, as I mentioned in my blog post here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/08/03/track-changes/

and there's one that counts insertions and deletions, as mentioned by Shai Nave in his blog post here:
http://translationtherapy.com/counting-inserted-and-deleted-words-in-track-changes/

As Esperantisto says, make sure you back up your file first, just in case.
Collapse

Adrien Lambert
Adrien Lambert  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 8, 2014

Unfortunately esperantisto, a TM is not available this time. Thank you for your suggestion nonetheless.

Emma Goldsmith, I haven't managed to create a macro using the code you kindly linked (first time I open Visual Basic). This project is not big, and the estimate from the client seems realistic, so I will use it. However, I will dig into the creation of macros for forthcoming projects.

Many thanks to you both!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How to install a macro Apr 8, 2014

Adrien Lambert wrote:

I haven't managed to create a macro using the code you kindly linked (first time I open Visual Basic)

It's basically a question of copying the macro, using Visual Basic, as you say. More details here:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:03
Member (2009)
French to English
Charge an hourly rate Apr 8, 2014

Adrien Lambert wrote:

Hello,

A client made some updates in a Word document (with Track changes enabled). In order to charge them for this job (translating the updates), I would like to know if there is a way to quantify the updates. I am using Word 2010.

Does anyone know how?

Many thanks.

I have a client who makes similar requests from time to time and we settled on using my hourly rate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting updates (words) made in a Word document

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »