Spellcheckers and UK vs US English (Office 2003)
Thread poster: n/a (X)
n/a (X)
n/a (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2004

I wonder if anyone can help me out. I am using 'Stedman's plus' medical spellchecker in Office 2003 and as a result seem to be unable to set texts to UK English. As I understand it, Stedman's installs in the US English dictionary (it is a US spellchecker). This is fine, but now, even if my text is set UK English, Word keeps flagging non-medical UK spellings as wrong (and suggesting US spellings). I'm not sure if this is a Word glitch or it depends on the spellchecker.

Does anyone o
... See more
I wonder if anyone can help me out. I am using 'Stedman's plus' medical spellchecker in Office 2003 and as a result seem to be unable to set texts to UK English. As I understand it, Stedman's installs in the US English dictionary (it is a US spellchecker). This is fine, but now, even if my text is set UK English, Word keeps flagging non-medical UK spellings as wrong (and suggesting US spellings). I'm not sure if this is a Word glitch or it depends on the spellchecker.

Does anyone out there know if there is a way to resolve this? What I would like to be able to do is only use Stedman's plus when the text is set to US English. Alternatively, does anyone know of a medical spellchecker that can be adapted to both UK and US texts, or at least doesn't prevent the other settings from being used?

Many thanks in advance

Iain
Collapse

n/a (X)
n/a (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not with Stedman's plus Nov 25, 2004

With Stedman's plus installed, UK and US English doesn't seem to work perfectly. Even if you start a new document and set UK English as default, the dictionary works from US English.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spellcheckers and UK vs US English (Office 2003)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »