Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2005

I am working on a Word doc created from a PDF using a special tool, which unfortunately, hasn't worked to perfection, so I'm having a lot of problems with Trados failing to find end of segment tags.

I think the problem is missing white spaces, so I am experimenting with adding extra ones.

One area where error occurs is as follows:

The doc has sections and sub-sections, and the numbers are followed by a little black arrow (produced by the tab left and right
... See more
I am working on a Word doc created from a PDF using a special tool, which unfortunately, hasn't worked to perfection, so I'm having a lot of problems with Trados failing to find end of segment tags.

I think the problem is missing white spaces, so I am experimenting with adding extra ones.

One area where error occurs is as follows:

The doc has sections and sub-sections, and the numbers are followed by a little black arrow (produced by the tab left and right button that indents a line). To do a Find and Replace, I need to know what this tab is called, becuase in the F&R, 'tab' doesn't work.

Otherwise I will have to add a space manually:-(
Collapse

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
^t Feb 15, 2005

A tab character is represented by ^t.
You can also select special characters from a list. In the Find or Find and Replace dialogue box, select Special and then select the relevant character from the list.

Good luck!
Marianne

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
^t Feb 15, 2005

Ailish Maher wrote:
To do a Find and Replace, I need to know what this tab is called, becuase in the F&R, 'tab' doesn't work.

Hi Ailish,

The way to represent "tab" in the F/R box is ^t.
It might also be useful ^p (end of paragraph) and ^l (end of line).

Regards,
Grace.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
finding & replacing special characters Feb 16, 2005

If you look under More/Special in the F&R window, you will see a list of special characters (by name). If you select one, its code (they all start with a carat character) will be inserted in whichever text box you have selected.

PS: If anybody knows the codes for en and em spaces (if they exist), I'd be very grateful.

Hnmm, I seem to have duplicated vixen's reply. Oh well, you can't have too much of good advice...

[Edited at 2005-02-16 00:31]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody:-) Feb 16, 2005

At least now I know what it's called, unfortunately it disn't work, but it's little trouble adding the spaces manually.

Wouldn't you think Trados would be smart enough to tell you about these things BEFORE you open a segemnt, instead of allowing you to get stuck with an uncloseable segment....sigh!

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
en/em spaces Feb 16, 2005

Kenneth, there does not seem to be a code for either an en space or an em space. I also checked the character set overview in my Word manual, but this lists only normal spaces and a nonbreaking space.

If you're working in Word, you could of course create a macro to define your own shortcut.

HTH,
Marianne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Fixing' a document in Word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »