Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 21:19
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 20, 2005

context: word 2003 and a file I'm translating from English to Slovenian with Trados.

As you probably know, Slovenian language uses čžš characters (thank Henry and proZ for Unicode, the characters here come through alright).

Except they don't in that darn file. Actually it is just the č character that word (or Trados or whoever) turns stubbornly into an è. I do global replace back to č and oops, with the next refresh, here's è all over again.
<
... See more
context: word 2003 and a file I'm translating from English to Slovenian with Trados.

As you probably know, Slovenian language uses čžš characters (thank Henry and proZ for Unicode, the characters here come through alright).

Except they don't in that darn file. Actually it is just the č character that word (or Trados or whoever) turns stubbornly into an è. I do global replace back to č and oops, with the next refresh, here's è all over again.

I know it has something to do with 8bit ISO Latin vs 8bit ISO latin east or something, but I dont know where and how to poke the file to start behaving.

TiA

vito
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you tried to search this forum for "corrupt characters" or "changed characters" Feb 20, 2005

or "garbaged characters"?

You have an eglish file. Did you set the styles in the file to match the formatting in the file? Did you set the language of the styles and of the whole document do Slovenian? Did you check, if your document possibly uses unavaillable fonts?
Does your document come from Far East (ie the language is set to Chinese or there is something about western and asiatic text in the styles)?

All this issues has been very often discussed here and on
... See more
or "garbaged characters"?

You have an eglish file. Did you set the styles in the file to match the formatting in the file? Did you set the language of the styles and of the whole document do Slovenian? Did you check, if your document possibly uses unavaillable fonts?
Does your document come from Far East (ie the language is set to Chinese or there is something about western and asiatic text in the styles)?

All this issues has been very often discussed here and on TW_Users group on Yahoo.
The reason for such behaviour is mostly badly formatted Word.
When Word document is properly formatted and you use Trados 6.5.5, no changes occur anymore.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for suggestions ... Feb 20, 2005

but I ... have an inkling, my problem is the source of these files - they're originally from Lotus WordPro 97 and I just pulled them out of the SAM format. So they're essentially state of art Windows 95 plus a year or two.

I probably would have to pass them all through the RTF form, convert them one way or another to unicode and then I would not have any problem anymore.

Except the RTF versions of these files are no fun. Anyhow, it is not exactly a high priority - it
... See more
but I ... have an inkling, my problem is the source of these files - they're originally from Lotus WordPro 97 and I just pulled them out of the SAM format. So they're essentially state of art Windows 95 plus a year or two.

I probably would have to pass them all through the RTF form, convert them one way or another to unicode and then I would not have any problem anymore.

Except the RTF versions of these files are no fun. Anyhow, it is not exactly a high priority - it just riled me I could not figure out what's going on.

Regards and thanks Jerzy

smo
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How did you extract them? Feb 20, 2005

By copying and pasting?
Or did you use some filter?
If this is the case, then save it in a very old version of Word (ie this is Word 2.0 AFAIR). Close the document, open it again, set the compatibility again to Word 2003, adapt the formatting and save again as Word 2003. One possible way, which may help.
The other way to translate SAM files is ... to use T-Window for Clipboard. You are then working with Lotus software and thus not damage the file structure. This is the way I wo
... See more
By copying and pasting?
Or did you use some filter?
If this is the case, then save it in a very old version of Word (ie this is Word 2.0 AFAIR). Close the document, open it again, set the compatibility again to Word 2003, adapt the formatting and save again as Word 2003. One possible way, which may help.
The other way to translate SAM files is ... to use T-Window for Clipboard. You are then working with Lotus software and thus not damage the file structure. This is the way I would choose in your case.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I used the export in WordPro to get word 97 files ... Feb 21, 2005

and then worked through the files one by one - there's 10+ of them -.

I have a demo problem now actually: the problem is gone;)! Maybe it was the TM that played tricks on me I honestly don't know anymore (I updated TM after each correction and final spellchecking).

Fact is now I have a decent and complete TM and I can work as you suggested in WordPro if necessary. I hope though it will not be necessary though.

That should mean the end of this subject.... See more
and then worked through the files one by one - there's 10+ of them -.

I have a demo problem now actually: the problem is gone;)! Maybe it was the TM that played tricks on me I honestly don't know anymore (I updated TM after each correction and final spellchecking).

Fact is now I have a decent and complete TM and I can work as you suggested in WordPro if necessary. I hope though it will not be necessary though.

That should mean the end of this subject.

Regards

smo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just can't get the special characters right in this file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »