Excel: making dictionary
Thread poster: Hikonishi (X)
Hikonishi (X)
Hikonishi (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:02
English to Japanese
Aug 12, 2006

I have a dictionary in text file in which odd rows have source language (English) and even rows have target language (Japanese). I want make an Excel file in which the first columns have source language and the second columns have target language.

I simply copied the text file and pasted it on Excel, and made a file. Odd rows have source language in the first column and target language in the second column, while even rows have target language in the first column and source languag
... See more
I have a dictionary in text file in which odd rows have source language (English) and even rows have target language (Japanese). I want make an Excel file in which the first columns have source language and the second columns have target language.

I simply copied the text file and pasted it on Excel, and made a file. Odd rows have source language in the first column and target language in the second column, while even rows have target language in the first column and source language in the second column.

Now I want to delete all even rows, and make a file in which source is in the first column and target is in the second line. How can I do this? Please advise.
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:02
English to Czech
+ ...
Excel: making dictionary Aug 12, 2006

Open the file in Word. Select all (Ctrl+A) and go to: Table - Convert - Text to table. Set 2 columns and paragraphs as the text delimiters. Click OK and you should have your table. Then you can copy it to Excel.

Hikonishi (X)
Hikonishi (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:02
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Works well Aug 12, 2006

Thank you! Now I could get a Excel file for MultiTerm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel: making dictionary

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »