Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
スウェーデン
Local time: 18:07
英語 から スウェーデン語
+ ...
Nov 7, 2006

Hi all,

I'm bringing up the subject about embedded Excel tables in Powerpoint files.

When I click the table, it opens in Excel, and I can translate it. But when I close it, the background grid is visible. Before manipulation, the text was just on plain white background.

From this posting I understand that TagEditor in Trados 6.5 doesn't open the Excel data at
... See more
Hi all,

I'm bringing up the subject about embedded Excel tables in Powerpoint files.

When I click the table, it opens in Excel, and I can translate it. But when I close it, the background grid is visible. Before manipulation, the text was just on plain white background.

From this posting I understand that TagEditor in Trados 6.5 doesn't open the Excel data at all:
http://www.proz.com/post/302906#302906

Has the support in improved since 6.5, or is it still unavailable in TE?

I also read about WordFast:
http://www.proz.com/post/302906#302906

I don't have WordFast, but I fear that this method of translating would also make the grid show afterwards. Any experience?

TIA;

Jan
Collapse

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
スペイン
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Embedded Excel in PPT shows grid after translation Nov 7, 2006

Hi,

Excel grid always shows after translation. What you can do is open the ppt file and press F5 to show the presentation.

The grid should not be visible at all.

Regards,

Oscar

Jan Sundström
スウェーデン
英語 から スウェーデン語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still wondering Nov 8, 2006

Thanks Oscar!

Your solution didn't help me, but I found the answer in the PPT Help (the old RTFM axiom still applies)

---(rough translation from Swedish Office)---
Deactivate support lines in an Excel sheet

Doubleclick on the Excel sheet.
Go to Tools>Options>the View tab
Under Window options, uncheck the box Support lines
--------------

But I still wonder
... See more
Thanks Oscar!

Your solution didn't help me, but I found the answer in the PPT Help (the old RTFM axiom still applies)

---(rough translation from Swedish Office)---
Deactivate support lines in an Excel sheet

Doubleclick on the Excel sheet.
Go to Tools>Options>the View tab
Under Window options, uncheck the box Support lines
--------------

But I still wonder: TagEditor doesn't handle embedded Excel data in PPT files at all?!

The only CAT tool that can take care of it natively is Transit?

TIA;

Jan
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
2005に入会
英語 から チェコ語
+ ...
Excel embedded in PPT Nov 8, 2006

But I still wonder: TagEditor doesn't handle embedded Excel data in PPT files at all?!

The only CAT tool that can take care of it natively is Transit?

AFAIK, you are right. I had to translate quite a few PPT presentations with embedded Excel tables, and Transit was the only workable solution I was able to find.

Antonin

Jan Sundström
スウェーデン
英語 から スウェーデン語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Antonin! Nov 10, 2006

It's a shame that Transit is so expensive.

Is it still true that you can't create new projects with the Satellite, only with the full version?

/Jan

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
2005に入会
英語 から チェコ語
+ ...
you are right again - PE Satellite will not import projects Nov 10, 2006

After all, it is up to the Star company what they are willing to give out for free... I hear that they are going to replace the Satellite with a free "client" version, in which you will work online on a translation stored on a remote server, by the way.

Regarding the price, the lowest level which is able to import projects is XV Smart - its price is comparable to Trados and it is, IMHO, a much better piece of software than Trados. But to be frank, I do own Trados and I am not sure w
... See more
After all, it is up to the Star company what they are willing to give out for free... I hear that they are going to replace the Satellite with a free "client" version, in which you will work online on a translation stored on a remote server, by the way.

Regarding the price, the lowest level which is able to import projects is XV Smart - its price is comparable to Trados and it is, IMHO, a much better piece of software than Trados. But to be frank, I do own Trados and I am not sure whether I could survive on today's market without it, even though I do most actual work in Transit.

The investment into the Trados/Transit combination was quite expensive, but I did not pay all that money at one moment; and using them both makes a translator's life easier.

Antonin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Embedded Excel in PPT shows grid after translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »