E-mail filtering: do you know a good software for this?
Auteur du fil: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italie
Membre (2002)
anglais vers italien
+ ...
Nov 10, 2006

I miss a lot of options in the Filtering feature of Outlook, namely:

- Search within the rules: calling up certain rules based on search criteria like "contains" or "type of action" etc.
- Sort function: changing the display order for the sake of editing, without changing the actual order of application of the rules.
- Larger display panels: right now I can only see 8 rules and I have to scroll to see more. No option to enlarge the panel. This is inconvenient!
- Mo
... See more
I miss a lot of options in the Filtering feature of Outlook, namely:

- Search within the rules: calling up certain rules based on search criteria like "contains" or "type of action" etc.
- Sort function: changing the display order for the sake of editing, without changing the actual order of application of the rules.
- Larger display panels: right now I can only see 8 rules and I have to scroll to see more. No option to enlarge the panel. This is inconvenient!
- More flexible forwarding: I would like to be able to edit parts of the hading before forwarding. This is actually a more general feature, but for me the point would be to be able to do it through the filter.

I currently have a set-up with quite a few e-mail accounts and about 150 filtering rules to filter out spam, sort out different types of messages, forward to other computer, send notices on desktop etc. The above missing features are becoming more and more essential.

Do you know of any software capable of the above (or at least part of it)?
Collapse

Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga
Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 22:56
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
Thunderbird/gmail Nov 10, 2006

Maybe you want to try Mozilla Thunderbird, it offers quite a range of filters. It also allows you to edit the forwards.

I forward all my thunderbird messages to a gmail account which has an impecable system to avoid spam.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Allemagne
Membre (2004)
anglais vers slovène
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
double.proof defence Nov 10, 2006

I use a gmx.net account and there's scarcely any spam getting through - well, 1 to 100 -. You can get a free mail address, just login at www.gmx.de

second level of defence is Thunderbird, where you can send questionable mails into the tarpit, automatically.

HIH

smo

[Edited at 2006-11-10 21:43]

Luca Tutino
Italie
Membre (2002)
anglais vers italien
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
I am not so much interested in antispam Nov 11, 2006

My point is not so much how to hide/delete spam - that I can manage quite well already. I am interested in being able to classify my messages, sort them out in different folders, displaying alerts and notices, forwarding to other accounts, playing differents sounds etc. etc.

Outlook does all this very well. Only the rules/filters interface is not efficient.

I have the impression that with Thunderbird or GMX I might win a better rules editor but would loose most of the i
... See more
My point is not so much how to hide/delete spam - that I can manage quite well already. I am interested in being able to classify my messages, sort them out in different folders, displaying alerts and notices, forwarding to other accounts, playing differents sounds etc. etc.

Outlook does all this very well. Only the rules/filters interface is not efficient.

I have the impression that with Thunderbird or GMX I might win a better rules editor but would loose most of the important features.

[Edited at 2006-11-11 00:09]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Membre (2005)
anglais vers tchèque
+ ...
The Bat! Nov 11, 2006

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

It is probably the best e-mail client out there, especially for the purposes you point out. I only prefer Thunderbird to The Bat! for managing imap accounts. But unlike Thunderbird, it is not for free.

Youcan give it a try and see if it meets your requirements.

HYH

Antonin

Luca Tutino
Italie
Membre (2002)
anglais vers italien
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
Great! Nov 11, 2006

Thank you Antoní­n, according to the description on the website the Bat is exactely what I was looking for! I will just go for it, hoping it lives up to those claims.

Best regards,
Luca

Pristav (X)
Pristav (X)
Local time: 00:56
anglais vers russe
The Bat! Nov 13, 2006

The Bat!

INHO!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-mail filtering: do you know a good software for this?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »