What's the etiquette for posting volunteer jobs?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 25, 2008

G'day everyone

I lead a volunteer translation project in which we want to translate a number of opensource computer programs into various languages. The more languages, the merrier. The more "minority" languages, the better.

I would like to post each project as a "job" on ProZ.com, and it seems as if I could do that, but I want to make sure about the proper etiquette.

Would it be acceptable to post it as a "potential" job? Can I really specify "Any langu
... See more
G'day everyone

I lead a volunteer translation project in which we want to translate a number of opensource computer programs into various languages. The more languages, the merrier. The more "minority" languages, the better.

I would like to post each project as a "job" on ProZ.com, and it seems as if I could do that, but I want to make sure about the proper etiquette.

Would it be acceptable to post it as a "potential" job? Can I really specify "Any language", and the post will go to all users (that seems a bit extreme, doesn't it?)? Or is there a limit to the number of languages I should choose?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Site rules Feb 25, 2008

Hi Samuel,
Thanks for asking. Please see the relevant site rules, in particular, job posting rule 1.2:

Postings must involve paid work.
Jobs postd must involve payment from poster to prospective service providers. (Exception: Registered non-profit organizations (link required) may post non-paying jobs.) ...

Best regards,
Ralf

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We are, thanks Feb 25, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:
(Exception: Registered non-profit organizations (link required) may post non-paying jobs.)

Cool. I would be posting on behalf of a registered non-profit organisation (we are also tax-exempt in our country, and donations to us are tax deductible). Still, I thought that I should just make sure. I mean, I don't want to end up being banned from ProZ.com because I misinterpreted the rules.

Now... may I post on behalf of this organisation (because I'm employed by them and I'm the guy responsible for this particular translation project), or must I register a separate ProZ.com profile for the organisation?

[Edited at 2008-02-25 13:54]

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:50
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Post the job from your own profile Feb 25, 2008

Hello Samuel,

There's no problem with posting the job from your own profile so long as you clearly identify the organization and state your association with it--along with providing that link to the Website.

Aside from the written rules, a good, clear description of the organization and the task, and, in the case of requests for volunteer help, a mention of the specific use to which the translations will be put, will be much appreciated and should attract more volunteer
... See more
Hello Samuel,

There's no problem with posting the job from your own profile so long as you clearly identify the organization and state your association with it--along with providing that link to the Website.

Aside from the written rules, a good, clear description of the organization and the task, and, in the case of requests for volunteer help, a mention of the specific use to which the translations will be put, will be much appreciated and should attract more volunteers.

And, for the sake of not occupying the whole of the ProZ.com home page job listings--and to save your fingers (!)--please use the multiple language option rather than selecting single language pairs.

Yolanda Stern Broad
ProZ.com Moderator
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, and... Feb 25, 2008

Yolanda Broad wrote:
And, for the sake of not occupying the whole of the ProZ.com home page job listings--and to save your fingers (!)--please use the multiple language option rather than selecting single language pairs.

In fact, I was thinking of just posting once per project, and selecting "Any language". Or is that generally a bad idea?

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:50
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

"Any language" is perfect! Feb 25, 2008

Yes, that's the right way to go.

Yolanda

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any language excludes me! Mar 7, 2008

Right, I posted a job and made the language "English -> Any" and "Any -> Any". I got a warning that the job notification will be sent to 0 translators, but I just assumed that that is because it is a non-profit organisation.

However, when I visit the job myself, I'm told that I'm not eligible to quote, because I don't meet the requirements! How can that be?

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Explanation Mar 7, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Right, I posted a job and made the language "English -> Any" and "Any -> Any". I got a warning that the job notification will be sent to 0 translators, but I just assumed that that is because it is a non-profit organisation.

However, when I visit the job myself, I'm told that I'm not eligible to quote, because I don't meet the requirements! How can that be?

Hi Sam,
It was send to 0 translators as nobody lists in his/her profile "any language" among working pairs. For the same reason the restriction message appears.

However, nothing prevents interested translators to contact you via email (as you selected this method of contact).

Magda

[Edited at 2008-03-07 14:25]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the etiquette for posting volunteer jobs?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »