Vishing – a new kind of spam
Thread poster: Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jul 14, 2006

It seems it will not take too long until we’ll have to hide the phone numbers from our profile pages and websites. The e-mail spam is bad, but the phone spam is going to be even worse. You can check your spam marked messages whenever you want, but you can hardly ignore a phone call.

Although I found no mention about any software able to collect phone numbers from the websites, I’m afraid that day is not too far off.

An interesting article about vishing can be found
... See more
It seems it will not take too long until we’ll have to hide the phone numbers from our profile pages and websites. The e-mail spam is bad, but the phone spam is going to be even worse. You can check your spam marked messages whenever you want, but you can hardly ignore a phone call.

Although I found no mention about any software able to collect phone numbers from the websites, I’m afraid that day is not too far off.

An interesting article about vishing can be found on the PC World site.

[Edited at 2006-07-14 21:17]
Collapse

Eva T
Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
Thanks for the info Jul 15, 2006

It is scary, but technogy comes with the good parts and its bad parts. I think that day is coming sooner, rather than later,
Eva

Mihai Badea wrote:

An interesting article about vishing can be found on the PC World site.

[Edited at 2006-07-14 21:17]

[Edited at 2006-07-15 03:04]

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 14:29
English to German
a possible solution Jul 16, 2006

When I went freelance, a buddy advised me to put my cell-phone number on my web site but not the landline. It has kept away phone spam so far - the cost of calling a cell phone is prohibitive to spammers. Bona fide callers end up on the mobile and we can exchange landline numbers / e-mail addresses straight away.

I was banned from using one private yellow-pages website because they would not list me without a publicly displayed landline number, which I refused. I don't think that lo
... See more
When I went freelance, a buddy advised me to put my cell-phone number on my web site but not the landline. It has kept away phone spam so far - the cost of calling a cell phone is prohibitive to spammers. Bona fide callers end up on the mobile and we can exchange landline numbers / e-mail addresses straight away.

I was banned from using one private yellow-pages website because they would not list me without a publicly displayed landline number, which I refused. I don't think that lost me anything of interest.

With technological advances, who knows if phone flatrates will include mobiles in the future. But in that case, we could still encode part of our phone numbers by spelling them out (just as some people do the "at" in their e-mail addresses).
Collapse

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:29
Czech to German
+ ...
Another link Jul 26, 2006

Here's another link in connection with Vishing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5187518.stm

As someone puts it in this article: "Common sense is the first line of protection" - there is nothing to add to this statement but IMHO it is really sad that we are going to have to defend ourselves everywhere and everytime...

Charlotte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vishing – a new kind of spam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »