Does Vista Home Premium have text-to-speech?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:51
Spanish
+ ...
Apr 23, 2009

Is the Vista Narrator the only text-to-speech available in English? I'd like to highlight a text in Word and have the computer read it out loud just like Dragon does. I think XP could do that but I can't find a way to do the same thing in Vista. What I found was 'Narrator' under Ease of Access Center but it reads everything out loud, I just want to highlight parts of a document in Word and hear the computer read them.

I already have Dragon but since I can't use two languages at once
... See more
Is the Vista Narrator the only text-to-speech available in English? I'd like to highlight a text in Word and have the computer read it out loud just like Dragon does. I think XP could do that but I can't find a way to do the same thing in Vista. What I found was 'Narrator' under Ease of Access Center but it reads everything out loud, I just want to highlight parts of a document in Word and hear the computer read them.

I already have Dragon but since I can't use two languages at once, I'm looking for an English text-to-speech alternative while I'm dictating in Spanish.

Thanks.

Claudia
Collapse

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:51
English
+ ...
Dragon claim bilingual versions are available Apr 23, 2009

I wrote to Dragon asking if there were multilingual versions available. I was told there were no plans to produce a Catalan version, but that you could use the Spanish and Engish ones on the same machine (or a bilingual version) - I don't remember the details now.

I once tried XP's in-built speech recognition engine, but it was a joke compared with Dragon. I don't know if they've improved it much with the Vista package. I haven't touched Vista and hope I never have to. (Though, once
... See more
I wrote to Dragon asking if there were multilingual versions available. I was told there were no plans to produce a Catalan version, but that you could use the Spanish and Engish ones on the same machine (or a bilingual version) - I don't remember the details now.

I once tried XP's in-built speech recognition engine, but it was a joke compared with Dragon. I don't know if they've improved it much with the Vista package. I haven't touched Vista and hope I never have to. (Though, once you are used to it, the latest version of Office is a great improvement over the version designed for XP).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Vista Home Premium have text-to-speech?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »