Robert Kleemaier
Robert Kleemaier  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:15
Membro (2004)
Da Olandese a Inglese
May 20, 2009

Hi folks,

On the assumption they interface, is anybody out there working with Trados and Dragon Naturally Speaking? What are the drawbacks/sources of frustration?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm investigating ways to raise my productivity levels. RSVP.

Cheers,
R.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Perú
Local time: 03:15
Membro
Spagnolo
+ ...
Forum May 20, 2009

Hi Robert,

Trados and DNS are indeed compatible. There's a speech recognition forum where you can find several discussions about Trados and DNS.

http://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition-238.html

Robert Kleemaier
Canada
Membro (2004)
Da Olandese a Inglese
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Merci! May 20, 2009

Thx, Claudia!

Cheers,
R.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portogallo
Local time: 09:15
Da Olandese a Inglese
+ ...
I second that May 21, 2009

I work with both Trados and DNS, Robert -- no problems, they work together quite seamlessly, and once you get going, you can realistically expect your productivity to increase by at least 30% (my experience anyhow).

Just be prepared to spend time at the beginning training DNS. You can be up and running in less than an hour, sure, but be prepared to patiently repeat some things, especially during the first couple of weeks. Learn the shortcuts, etc. Everything is explained in the tuto
... See more
I work with both Trados and DNS, Robert -- no problems, they work together quite seamlessly, and once you get going, you can realistically expect your productivity to increase by at least 30% (my experience anyhow).

Just be prepared to spend time at the beginning training DNS. You can be up and running in less than an hour, sure, but be prepared to patiently repeat some things, especially during the first couple of weeks. Learn the shortcuts, etc. Everything is explained in the tutorials and it's quite user-friendly.

Also, factor in more proofreading time than normal -- DNS can easily fail to distinguish between "legal" and "illegal", for example, which in our line of work can prove rather problematic

All in all, I'd say DNS is well worth the investment.

Good luck
Debs
Collapse

Robert Kleemaier
Canada
Membro (2004)
Da Olandese a Inglese
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
increase in productivity levels May 21, 2009

Hi Debs!

A 30-40% increase in productivity levels is something I have read about in the past; hence my further research.

Cheers,
R.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portogallo
Local time: 09:15
Da Olandese a Inglese
+ ...
In concrete terms May 21, 2009

Robert Kleemaier wrote:

Hi Debs!

A 30-40% increase in productivity levels is something I have read about in the past; hence my further research.

Cheers,
R.

You know the type of texts I translate. Previously, when typing, I could count on a average rate of 600 words an hour, whilst when dictating I have no problem producing 1,000 words an hour (raw translation).

However, factoring in the fact that I spend slightly longer proofreading afterwards if I dictate, I'd say it's safe to work on an 30% increase in productivity.

It's also better for longer texts, I often find it easier to just type shorter ones and sections with a lot of names. I also get a bit fed up of listening to myself sometimes, and then I swap back to typing for a bit, but it's nice to have the choice, especially when the old wrists start aching

Have a good day
Debs

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados & Dragon

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »