Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:09
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados 2017 does the job pretty well Apr 22, 2022

I just checked it in Trados 2017... it works with XLZ files no problem.

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:09
English to Czech
+ ...
A tool to convert XLZ to XLF and then back to XLZ automatically Apr 23, 2022

Yes, exactly. I actually took the extra step and created an automated tool that does just that: Drag&drop your XLZs, let them be unpacked to XLFs and source files ... then translate your XLFx and drag&drop them back once translated. Bohemicus will then automatically upload your newly translated XLFs into the original XLZs. You can see it in action here:
https://youtu.be/a9m3ymjQJjE

Marc-André Séguin wrote:

Hello!

If your client is limited to sending Idiom Workbench packages (for a product that is no longer supported, it sure is getting a long shelf life!), but you absolutely want to use Studio (you could have your own TMs you want to reuse, or simply prefer an more powerful and flexible tool), here is the solution:

1) Open your .xlz package with WinRAR or any zip utility capable of opening different compressed files. OR rename the extension to .zip.

2) Extract the .xlf file and place it in your project folder.

3) Either right click on the .xlf file and open it with Studio, or create a project in Studio and import it then.

4) Translate your file and save the .sdlxliff in your folder.

5) In Studio, select File - Save Target As, and overwrite the .xlf file.

6) Reopen your .xlz file, and drag the new .xlf file in it using your zip utility. Then close it. (If you had renamed it, make sure to change the extension back to .xlz).

7) Double-click the .xlz file and open it in Workbench.

8) Confirm your segments, either one by one or in batch, en export back to .xlz.

9) Deliver to you client.

I have been using this method for two clients and it works wonderfully.

Let me know if you would like more details, I'd be happy to help.

Marc-André

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work on a .xlz file?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »