Is there a way to flag overuse of a word/phrase?
Thread poster: Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:42
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
May 29, 2021

I’m sure there’s a regex that shows if the same word is used more than once within a segment.

Is there a way to figure out if you’ve inadvertently used the same word too much within a text?

I’m talking more about functional words.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Studio May 29, 2021

will find repeated words during verification: you don't need to do anything additionally, just run file verification.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Um... May 29, 2021

By reading through your finished translation like you would surely do anyway?

Brent Sørensen
Germany
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course I read it through, but sometimes things still go unnoticed… May 29, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

By reading through your finished translation like you would surely do anyway?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The utility xBench may be of help. May 29, 2021

I cannot guarantee that xBench will find all occurences of duplicate words in a sentence, but you may want to try it out to see if it helps you. It will often flag problems that the Verify function in Studio does not flag.

Roy

Darius Sciuka

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:42
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
You might want to try a program like "Repetition Detector" May 30, 2021

Brent Sørensen wrote:

I’m sure there’s a regex that shows if the same word is used more than once within a segment.

Is there a way to figure out if you’ve inadvertently used the same word too much within a text?

A program I suggest is Repetition Detector: you run your exported translation through it, and it flag and list the words you used most often.

[Edited at 2021-05-30 07:24 GMT]

Brent Sørensen
Germany
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks :) This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for May 30, 2021

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Brent Sørensen wrote:

A program I suggest is Repetition Detector: you run your exported translation through it, and it flag and list the words you used most often.

[Edited at 2021-05-30 07:24 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:42
English to Russian
Odd selection May 30, 2021

I got very interested in this program. I installed a trial version. Looks nice. However, the way it selects words seems odd. It selects correctly at the beginning of a document but after a couple of pages all selections just shift away, and selection refers to wrong words in the Top-100 column. First I suspected my 150% scaling was the culprit. But then I switched to 100%, and it still behaves this way. Any idea why this happens?

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
No idea... try the previous version May 30, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

I got very interested in this program. I installed a trial version. Looks nice. However, the way it selects words seems odd. It selects correctly at the beginning of a document but after a couple of pages all selections just shift away, and selection refers to wrong words in the Top-100 column. First I suspected my 150% scaling was the culprit. But then I switched to 100%, and it still behaves this way. Any idea why this happens?

I haven't installed version 2... I have occasionally used version 1 (which is still available for download through their website), and never noticed anything like what happens to you. You could try version 1, to see if the problem was already there. Have you tried with different texts? The issue could be a one-off triggered by something in particular in the text you used.

Another suggestion: a concordance program, like Lawrence Anthony's AntConc could also be of use.

P.S. I've just tried Version 2 of RepetitionDetector 2 on a couple of long texts (one in English, the other in Italian), and the program seemed to work correctly.

Having looked at your screenshot, I was wondering if the reason for the incorrect results could be the fact that your text is written in the cyrillic alphabet in a language not listed among those mentioned by RepetitionDetector's help file: "Repetition Detector 2 is working with text in the main European languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian." or, according to their web site: "The software is available for Windows in English and French but works equally well with texts in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Icelandic."

[Edited at 2021-05-30 19:08 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:42
English to Russian
Thank you May 30, 2021

Repetition Detector 2 is working with text in the main European languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian.
The same source file in English gives the same result. Probably it somehow relates to the file structure. Those two files (Russian target on the screenshot and English source) were in MS Word. However I tried another 238-page PDF file in Russian, and the program worked correctly in the sense that it captured and highlighted all Russian words with different endings but common stem. Looks promising. Overusing same words is my soft spot. Thank you for this useful resource.

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Another free program that can flag repeated words and phrases May 30, 2021

Another program that (among other things) should be able to flag repeated words and phrases is SmartEdit Writer (free, though a more powerful version is also available for purchase).

What exactly does SmartEdit Writer help with and identify:

Word and phrase repetition
All adverbs used in your work
Words and phrases that you choose to highlight, such as common typos or characters you might want to keep an eye on

[Edited at 2021-05-30 21:01 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Word overuse May 31, 2021

Regexes can also be used for style checking, such as the overuse of a word or suffix in a sentence. I have been told that it is bad style to overuse the “mente” suffix in Portuguese. The multiple occurrence is easily validated with the following regex.

Regex: ^.*?mente\b.*?mente\b.*$

The same technique can be used for overuse of "of the" in English that often results in translating from German.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to flag overuse of a word/phrase?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »