Naomi Rodgers
Naomi Rodgers  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:57
English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2022

Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience translating a presentation on the online whiteboard Miro with Trados? (https://miro.com/online-whiteboard/)

I have a request from a customer and I am trying to figure out the best way to do it. I think there is the possibility of downloading the presentation as a PDF and then putting it into Trados this way, but this seems to bring u
... See more
Hi there,

Does anyone have any experience translating a presentation on the online whiteboard Miro with Trados? (https://miro.com/online-whiteboard/)

I have a request from a customer and I am trying to figure out the best way to do it. I think there is the possibility of downloading the presentation as a PDF and then putting it into Trados this way, but this seems to bring up issues with formatting.

Anyone have any experience with this?

[Edited at 2022-02-09 13:49 GMT]
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
What's next? Feb 8, 2022

Translating a street banner?

This is rather embarrassing ...

Naomi Rodgers
Germany
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not sure I'm following...? Feb 9, 2022

?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Naomi Feb 9, 2022

Naomi Rodgers wrote:
Does anyone have any experience translating a presentation on the online whiteboard Miro with Trados?

I have no experience with Miro, so I'm just speculating, but I'm not sure if this would be possible.

Obviously you can export the whiteboard to PDF and then convert the PDF to Word using Trados, but as you have discovered, this brings up formatting issues, because, well, that is what happens when you try to convert a PDF to Word for translation (-:

What needs to be done, I believe, is that you should somehow get the text to translate, translate it, and then copy/paste the translation back into the whiteboard using Miro itself. I can think of no other way to do this.

Mihai Badea wrote:
What's next? Translating a street banner? This is rather embarrassing ...

Perhaps Mihai missed the "online" part. Miro is not a physical whiteboard system. It is a graphics design canvas with text and image elements floating around on it.

[Edited at 2022-02-09 15:23 GMT]

Naomi Rodgers
Stepan Konev

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
My apologies Feb 9, 2022

So you were serious...

Please don't forget to charge your client for the additional service.

Is using Trados a requirement for this job?

Anyone who has such a requirement should provide a file in one of the supported formats (see list at the below link, downlo
... See more
So you were serious...

Please don't forget to charge your client for the additional service.

Is using Trados a requirement for this job?

Anyone who has such a requirement should provide a file in one of the supported formats (see list at the below link, downloadable file):
https://www.trados.com/products/trados-studio/supported-files-and-languages.html
Collapse

Naomi Rodgers
Germany
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree @Samuel Feb 9, 2022

Thanks for responding! I looked into it a little bit more and I think you're right. It's a shame as it was something the client was specifically asking for, but never mind!

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Oh, boy Feb 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Perhaps Mihai missed the "online" part. Miro is not a physical whiteboard system. It is a graphics design canvas with text and image elements floating around on it.

[Edited at 2022-02-09 15:23 GMT]

It was an irony ... I will apologize again, if necessary.

Ethics might be a factor, too, you know ...

Then, in order to create that canvas, you would normally have a text file first, and you would copy & paste from there.

Woudn't you agree?

Where is the text file, that is the question ...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mihai Feb 9, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:
Then, in order to create that canvas, you would normally have a text file first, and you would copy & paste from there. ... Where is the text file, that is the question ...

You should be able to copy/paste the translated text directly from Trados.

So, the procedure would be: in Miro, export to PDF. Then import the PDF into Trados. Then translate the project in Trados. Then copy/paste the translated segments back into Miro again.

Mihai Badea wrote:

In what way? If the whiteboard is owned by the client, and if all participants who contributed content to the whiteboard agree that it may be translated, then it should be fine, right?

[Edited at 2022-02-09 15:53 GMT]

Naomi Rodgers

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:57
English to Russian
Even if it was a real whiteboard or a street banner, so what? Feb 9, 2022

The most popular modern text editors were invented only 30 years ago. Before that time translators worked without them but with many other types of media, from ancient stone tablets to street banners. And so they still do nowadays. Can't see a reason for irony.
What regards the subject of this topic, in addition to what was already suggested by Samuel, I can suggest a special PDF editing tool like Infix PDF Editor by Iceni or Foxit PDF Editor. Those programs are not for free, but you can u
... See more
The most popular modern text editors were invented only 30 years ago. Before that time translators worked without them but with many other types of media, from ancient stone tablets to street banners. And so they still do nowadays. Can't see a reason for irony.
What regards the subject of this topic, in addition to what was already suggested by Samuel, I can suggest a special PDF editing tool like Infix PDF Editor by Iceni or Foxit PDF Editor. Those programs are not for free, but you can use them to export your PDF contents into an xml file, translate it with Trados and then import your translation back into PDF. However, you need time to learn the program, and I suggest that you try it first. If you feel like it pays off for you, you may consider to purchase it.

[Edited at 2022-02-09 16:10 GMT]
Collapse

Naomi Rodgers

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Taking unecessary risks Feb 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Mihai Badea wrote:

In what way?

Let's assume Naomi carried out some due dilligence, and there are no ethical considerations to worry about.

However, when you agree to translate an online document, you take some risks. Unnecessarily, I would argue.

Naomi, good luck with carrying out this rather tricky job!

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Translating street banners is expensive Feb 9, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Even if it was a real whiteboard or a street banner, so what?

Go for it!

But if you only get the banner (no brief file, no other relevant information etc.), it might be a joke.

I might have indeed misunderstood Naomi's posting, and I appologise for that.

Samuel's suggestion might work, if the online file is editable and that is a duplicate of the original file.

Stepan, did you try any of the tools you mentioned?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Sure Feb 9, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:
Stepan, did you try any of the tools you mentioned?
Not only I tried it. I use it on a routine basis. This is a PDF file that I never ocr'ed into Word.
2022-02-09_194006

Mihai Badea (X)

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
And this one Feb 9, 2022

2022-02-09_195256
An this one too
2022-02-09_195453

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Re: Infix and XLIFF Feb 9, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
I can suggest a special PDF editing tool like Infix PDF Editor by Iceni...

Infix also has an online service that converts the PDF content to XLIFF for you to translate (and then it puts your translation back into the PDF). Obviously how well this works depends on the PDF file itself. I believe it costs about $10 per 20 pages, and you don't necessarily need to buy the Infix editor. I just tried it with a simple one page PDF.

[Edited at 2022-02-09 17:14 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I know Feb 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
I believe it costs about...
I know it costs $99 per year. Over one year after your pay, the program still works fine but is not updated until you pay again. I never tried their TransPDF service though. I don't believe a program can convert PDF to XLIFF and backwards without the need to post-edit the file.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a presentation on the online whiteboard 'miro', using Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »