How do I deactivate plugins that are not displayed in the list Activate or deactivate plug-ins?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 11:58
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 16, 2022

How do I deactivate plugins that are not displayed in the list Activate or deactivate plug-ins?

The plug-ins in question are these ones:

IotaLS.Filters.XLIFF.plugin.xml
IotaLS.Filters.XLIFFCoreUI.plugin.xml
IotaLS.Filters.XLIFFNames.plugin.xml
TradosStudioDictionaryPlugin.plugin.xml

Is there any other place to look for above plugins?

The main problem is that I can't create a new local project because once I try to create a new
... See more

The plug-ins in question are these ones:

IotaLS.Filters.XLIFF.plugin.xml
IotaLS.Filters.XLIFFCoreUI.plugin.xml
IotaLS.Filters.XLIFFNames.plugin.xml
TradosStudioDictionaryPlugin.plugin.xml

Is there any other place to look for above plugins?

The main problem is that I can't create a new local project because once I try to create a new local TM, Studio hangs and I need to kill the process using Task manager and restart Studio.

When I try to create a new local TM, I get this message displayed (even though I click on "No" for each of the four pop-ups, that are exactly the same as below, that are displayed upon launching SDL Trados Studio):

"Unsigned Trados Studio plug-in found
Trados Studio has detected an unsigned plug-in that wants to load. 'IotaLS.Filters.XLIFF.plugin.xml' has been created by a third party and has not been validated. Plug-ins may contain viruses or other harmful code. Do not load this plug-in unless you trust the source of the plug-in. Do you want to load this plug-in?"

I could try clicking on "Yes" to load each plug-in to get them displayed in the list Activate or deactivate plug-ins, then deactivate each of them from the list by unchecking the box.
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 10:58
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Have you tried this? May 16, 2022

Go to "SDL Plugin Management" in Windows Start, and you can open the app to uninstall the plugin you want to deactivate.
I hope it helps!

Stepan Konev

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uninstalling from SDL Plugin Management didn't work either May 16, 2022

I tried your suggestion now and uninstalled the four plugins using SDL Plugin Management. But I still get the same error message when trying to create a new, local translation memory in the Create project wizard and have to restart Studio.

[Edited at 2022-05-16 17:11 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That worked for me in the past May 16, 2022

Have you also checked this?

The other more manual way is to remove the plugins from these two locations. Remove the sdlplugin file from here:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\15\Plugins\Packages\

And remove the unpacked folder with the same name as the plugin from here:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados S
... See more
Have you also checked this?

The other more manual way is to remove the plugins from these two locations. Remove the sdlplugin file from here:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\15\Plugins\Packages\

And remove the unpacked folder with the same name as the plugin from here:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\15\Plugins\Unpacked\

https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/rws-appstore/f/rws-appstore/19156/how-do-i-delete-plugins-that-do-not-properly-load-and-are-therefore-not-in-the-list-of-plugins

(P.S.: I don't know what Trados Studio version you are using, but if you can't solve it with these 2 solutions, I really don't know what else can help. In case this doesn't work, try to contact support).
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:58
English to Russian
Trados Plugin Manager May 16, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
Go to "SDL Plugin Management" in Windows Start, and you can open the app to uninstall the plugin you want to deactivate.
It's here by default: C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL plugin installer\Sdl.Community.SdlPluginInstaller.exe
Sdl.Community.SdlPluginInstaller.exe is an executable file. If you don't want it to run immediately, don't include this portion of the above path when pasting it into your Windows explorer. You can create a shortcut to that file and send it to your desktop to avoid searching for it every time you need it.

When you download and install an app from the appstore, the program creates a pair of folders for its plugins: 'Packages' for zipped apps (*.sdlplugin = *.zip) and 'Unpacked' for the zipped app contents. I.e., when you download an app, you basically copy and paste it into the Packages folder. And when you install the app, you simply unzip what you just pasted into the Packages folder and put it unzipped into the Unpacked folder. This is how the downloading/installation process actually works. Therefore, the simplest way to remove a plugin is to remove it from those two folders. In case of Studio 2021, the above-mentioned two folders may be here:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Packages\
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Unpacked\

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Packages\
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Unpacked\

C:\ProgramData\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Packages\
C:\ProgramData\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\16\Plugins\Unpacked\

Most plugins that you can reach using Trados Plugin Manager are stored at location 1.
On the other hand, ApSIC.Xbench.Agent.sdlplugin for example, can be found at location 3.
If you can't see your plugin in the list created by Trados Plugin Manager, check the above-mentioned folders.

[Edited at 2022-05-16 18:50 GMT]

expressisverbis
Silvia Pellacani

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem plugins were not under the user folder May 17, 2022

I located that folder you pasted here, but in there were only four plugins under the Packages folder and two plugins under the Unpacked folder. None of the plugins were my problem plugins.

Stepan, under the folder you pasted there were other plugins, but none of my problem plugins; three plugins in each of the folders (none of them the same as under the folder that expressisverbis pasted the path for).

I logged a support case yesterday at SDL, let's see what they reply.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:58
English to Russian
Plugins are not duplicated in different folders by design May 17, 2022

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
Stepan, under the folder you pasted there were other plugins, but none of my problem plugins; three plugins in each of the folders (none of them the same as under the folder that expressisverbis pasted the path for).
That’s right, every single plugin can only be in one location. Plugins are not duplicated.
Am I right in my understanding that you have checked all three locations and couldn’t find your problem plugins?

expressisverbis

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, none of my problem plugins is in any of the three locations May 17, 2022

Yes Stepan, my problem plugins are not in any of the three locations.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Support couldn't solve the problem May 17, 2022

I had a remote session with SDL Support this morning and gave control of my Desktop to the support technician. She spent quite some time trying to figure out what's the problem but in the end gave up and said she couldn't solve the problem and that they will discuss it in their team and get back to me if they manage to solve it.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To what extent can I complete all Studio project in MemoQ? May 17, 2022

I really want to put Studio aside now, slowly let her fall into oblivion and use MemoQ also for all my Studio projects. Can I complete practically any type of Studio project in MemoQ (I have a license for MemoQ Translator Pro)? Including project packages, server-based projects, connection to my customer's Studio Server TM, ordinary Studio project files, and ordinary .sdlxliff files?

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, you can complete it... May 17, 2022

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

I really want to put Studio aside now, slowly let her fall into oblivion and use MemoQ also for all my Studio projects. Can I complete practically any type of Studio project in MemoQ (I have a license for MemoQ Translator Pro)? Including project packages, server-based projects, connection to my customer's Studio Server TM, ordinary Studio project files, and ordinary .sdlxliff files?

You can create your project from scratch in memoQ and convert your sdltm into tmx format and add it to your memoQ project, or you can transfer your Trados local project to memoQ.

You can find more information here on how memoQ imports a sdlxliff file:

https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/sdlxliff-files.html

I hope it helps!

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks expressisverbis, then I will make the move now May 18, 2022

Thanks expressisverbis, then I will make the move now. No reasons to use SDL Trados Studio anymore.

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »