Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:49
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
May 28, 2022

Hi,
I'm evaluating if I should go for Studio 2022 and was asking myself if Multiterm is still part of the terminology management system of Studio.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:49
English to Russian
Unless you are a terminologist May 28, 2022

you don’t need MultiTerm for terminology management in Studio. Can you name a single unique task that can be only done with use of MultiTerm?

Jorge Payan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Sure May 28, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

you don’t need MultiTerm for terminology management in Studio. Can you name a single unique task that can be only done with use of MultiTerm?

Rename a termbase.

Stepan Konev
Jorge Payan

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right, Stepan, May 28, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

...but you need Multiterm to create and use termbases in Studio ... or did I miss something?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Use Glossary Converter May 28, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

...but you need Multiterm to create and use termbases in Studio ... or did I miss something?

Not Stepan here but nevertheless replying:

Use Glossary Converter to create termbases: much simpler!

And Trados Studio itself has a nice template to create Bilingual Glossaries (yup, that's what they are called ... in Trados Studio):

showmetheway

Jorge Payan

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hans May 28, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

Not Stepan here but nevertheless replying:

Use Glossary Converter to create termbases: much simpler!

And Trados Studio itself has a nice template to create Bilingual Glossaries (yup, that's what they are called ... in Trados Studio):

So I did actually miss something. But then, Studio is not my everyday workhorse.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
No, you don’t need it May 28, 2022

I uninstalled MultiTerm three or more years ago when Paul Filkin told me that termbases can still be created and used with Studio alone. I don’t experience any issues with my termbases, but when other fellow translators do, RWS experts always begin their support procedure with a recommendation to update MultiTerm. I can’t explain how they manage to keep these two conditions existing simultaneously (no need to have MultiTerm installed and the need to update MultiTerm), but my guess is that th... See more
I uninstalled MultiTerm three or more years ago when Paul Filkin told me that termbases can still be created and used with Studio alone. I don’t experience any issues with my termbases, but when other fellow translators do, RWS experts always begin their support procedure with a recommendation to update MultiTerm. I can’t explain how they manage to keep these two conditions existing simultaneously (no need to have MultiTerm installed and the need to update MultiTerm), but my guess is that their recommendation is sort of habit or ritual: when something is wrong with terminology, update MultiTerm first/restart Studio/reboot your computer/etc.Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wasn't aware of this May 28, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

I uninstalled MultiTerm three or more years ago when Paul Filkin told me that termbases can still be created and used with Studio alone. I don’t experience any issues with my termbases, but when other fellow translators do, RWS experts always begin their support procedure with a recommendation to update MultiTerm. I can’t explain how they manage to keep these two conditions existing simultaneously (no need to have MultiTerm installed and the need to update MultiTerm), but my guess is that their recommendation is sort of habit or ritual: when something is wrong with terminology, update MultiTerm first/restart Studio/reboot your computer/etc.

So how and to what format shall I convert my SDLTDs if I don't want to have Multiterm on my system?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Even GC is not required May 28, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
Use Glossary Converter to create termbases
GC is a useful app, but even so you don’t need neither MultiTerm nor GC to create and use termbases. You can create them from Studio directly.

Jorge Payan

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again May 28, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:
GC is a useful app, but even so you don’t need neither MultiTerm nor GC to create and use termbases. You can create them from Studio directly.

I will take a look into that when I have some spare time.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Use or Create May 28, 2022

If you want to use an existing termbase (from your client or your own), go to Project Settings.....Termbases, click 'Use' and select your existing termbase.
If you want to create a blank termabse for you to add new terms on the go, go to Project Settings.....Termbases, click 'Create' and follow the termbase creation master.2022-05-28_115718
When I need maintenance, like conversion to Excel, etc., I use Glossary Converter.

Jorge Payan
Sebastian Witte

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Yup May 28, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

That's why I wrote:

And Trados Studio itself has a nice template to create Bilingual Glossaries

Stepan Konev
Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »