What exactly is it, that makes term pair entry slow?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Mar 8, 2012

I'm still looking for the reason why exactly adding a new term pair is sloooooow (even on a very fast computer) and gets slower after having added a couple of thousands of new term pairs on the fly to a newly created MDB.

I now have the Access MDB in RAM. Changing an existing term pair is very fast, so is compacting. This might lead to the conclusion that it is not the DB per se that causes the delay.

Via MultiUserBGS=1 I've made sure that only the active and the follow
... See more
I'm still looking for the reason why exactly adding a new term pair is sloooooow (even on a very fast computer) and gets slower after having added a couple of thousands of new term pairs on the fly to a newly created MDB.

I now have the Access MDB in RAM. Changing an existing term pair is very fast, so is compacting. This might lead to the conclusion that it is not the DB per se that causes the delay.

Via MultiUserBGS=1 I've made sure that only the active and the following segments are taken into account. (Term search only works in the active segment.)

After I've added a new term pair, I have to wait several seconds before I can continue. This might not seem a long pause, but since I add new term pairs in nearly every segment ... I'm faster than my computer (newest iMac with 16 GB RAM, SSD and Core i7).

In which direction should I be looking?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What exactly is it, that makes term pair entry slow?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »