How can I convert a Transit file (PXF) for use with TRADOS or Deja Vu?
Thread poster: Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:40
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Jan 21, 2003

I\'ve got a job to be translated in Star Transit (PXF file). I have got Transit Satelit PE, but I would prefer to translate it in another TM. Is it possible to convert it somehow for to do this job, say in Deja Vu (v3.02) or Trados 5.0 freelance or in Wordfast?

Would be grateful for any comments.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 13:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
DV probably Jan 21, 2003

I used to be able to convert Transit 2.7 files into DV recognizeable format (and later re-convert them into Transit). Now, with Transit XV, I have no clue.

You should check out the DV mailing list (see www.atril.com / support / mailing list for the URL).

In any case, you will need to install an SGML filter (available from Atril) to do this.

Myron Netchypor
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Can you share your experience Jan 21, 2003

Dear Csaba,

can you share your experience on converting, i.e. how you did it?

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 13:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Can't remember exactly Jan 21, 2003

All I remember is that it was not easy (but eventually it was possible).

Really, check out the mailing list I mentioned. You can search the database of previous postings. Try searching for \"Transit\" or \"pxf\" and you will see the relevant messages.

Myron Netchypor
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 21, 2003

Thank you

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
English to French
Infos and explanations. Wordfast Jan 29, 2003

This WILL take some testing, but here are some informations you should have :

1. a pxf file is a compressed file. Right click on it, select \"open with\", and open with winzip. Winzip will open it like any other archive, and you will have different files including always at least 2 language files. In my case, \"*.eng\" and \"*.fra\"

You can open the target language file in Word. You will see each line finishing by

\"-#\" where # is the number
... See more
This WILL take some testing, but here are some informations you should have :

1. a pxf file is a compressed file. Right click on it, select \"open with\", and open with winzip. Winzip will open it like any other archive, and you will have different files including always at least 2 language files. In my case, \"*.eng\" and \"*.fra\"

You can open the target language file in Word. You will see each line finishing by

\"-#\" where # is the number of the segment

Now, you will have to protect the segment markers - with wordfast, apply the external tag style (using a search and replace with options). You have to study the files you have to see how they are made, so that you can tag properly and restore that exact format.

Once tagged, use wordfast and translate only the target file. When your translation is completed and reviewed, don\'t forget to add an \"*\" after each segment number to tell transit the segment was approuved. Otherwise, you will have to go through the whole file in transit

The same applies for the other files, terminology, ...that you find in the decompressed archive. Open in Word, recognize paterns of information, and convert in the format you want, while remembering that if you are expected to update, you will have to know how to convert it back as well. (or take note of the corrections/additions separately, so that you can enter them in transit. That\'s easy enough.)

Before you try anything, make a copy of the original PXF file with an other name, and work on that. When you think you have made it to prepare your target file, (note that you don\'t have to touch the \"source\" file at all) translate about 10 segments, make a copy, clean that copy and reconstruct the original archive. Then, receive the reconstructed archive with transit satellite PE as a usual project, and see what happens. try to \"send\" that project to see if the project does compile. When everything works fine (be ultra careful that nothing is missing.), you have found how to do it and you will be able to handle transit format with wordfast, DV, or even antics such as trados.

Don\'t forget that your project may include several files to translate, and some files already translated, that Transit use as a TM for fuzzy matching. If you have already translated files, you must convert those into a TM and use that TM in wordfast.

It all sound very complicated, but it may pay off once you know how to do it, because, between us, transit satellite is a real pain, where you can\'t configure anything, can\'t spell check unless you bought the addition, can\'t search context, can\'t use other ressources, and if your PM forgot to put references INSIDE the pxf. gee, what a pain!

Hope this helps. You need to take time and experiment. Since I only worked on tight projects with transit, I never had the time to do it all the way, but with testing I\'m pretty sure it can be done.

You can contact me at [email protected]. I\'m quite interested by the results, and I can help debug the problems you meet.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I convert a Transit file (PXF) for use with TRADOS or Deja Vu?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »