Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Difficult situation - what can I do if the job was canceled when I had already finished it?
Thread poster: savaria (X)
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Reduction in payment? Sep 24, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
If you want, you can offer a reduction in the payment. If he accepts, then at least you get some money with the least amount of effort. Odds are you won't get a penny from him else.

This makes no sense to me. Let me see if I understood the sequence of events correctly:

1. Client orders job.
2. Translator works.
3. Translator delivers job done.
4. Client receives job.
5. Client cancels job.
6. Client doesn't want to pay, because s/he cancelled the job.
7. Translator should accept less than the amount agreed because the job was cancelled.

If this made sense, we'd have ALL our jobs cancelled after delivery. Why not?

CFK TRAD
CFK TRAD  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:32
English to French
+ ...
A cancellation after the acceptance of the offer implies that you get paid Sep 24, 2008

Hello,

If I have understood the point well, you got the text to translate, with probably an email from your client asking you to proceed.

==> Do you still have this email ?

If yes, you can prove that there was a valid and binding contract between you and the client.
Do you have other elements? (ex. : they posted an add on Proz, do you still have the add??, can you print it??)

You started your translation, you completed it and it was only
... See more
Hello,

If I have understood the point well, you got the text to translate, with probably an email from your client asking you to proceed.

==> Do you still have this email ?

If yes, you can prove that there was a valid and binding contract between you and the client.
Do you have other elements? (ex. : they posted an add on Proz, do you still have the add??, can you print it??)

You started your translation, you completed it and it was only after you sent it back that the client notified you the cancellation, am I right?
If yes, you've got to be paid, basically.

The reason why the job was cancelled is NOT your business. The fact that, for legal reasons (which are...??), they cannot use the translation is NOT the point.

They ordered you a translation, they have to pay all the job completed till the very moment when they expressed that the job was cancelled. Full stop.

I have already been through this situation. No agency has ever refused to pay the part which had been done prior the cancellation notice.

Making it clear that this situation could end up before a court has, generally, the following consequences:
- You get the money (unless they can prove an abuse: either you did a bad-quality job, or you did not check reasonably your email box, so make sure that these issues are solved before going to the battlefield) ; AND
- you lose the client.

Remember that, if you fight back for your money, or for anything, of course you may win what you're looking for, but there are always consequences. Don't ask this client to call you back again. From a personal point of view, losing a client which does not want to pay is not a problem for me, but this is subjective.

The decision is yours, I just hope this post helps you to clarify things.
Best
Coralie.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difficult situation - what can I do if the job was canceled when I had already finished it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »