Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 17:23
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Rule or exception? Dec 8, 2009

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:

The email you received is "standard" - they send the same email to a lot of people.

]

Do you really think this is the rule of thumb? I would be quite unhappy to learn that this was really true. I believe in "not biting the feeding hand". Agencies and translators, and if possible end clients, should have good communication and procedures in place to deal with such issues, when they emerge.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Client-Agency-Translator relationship Dec 9, 2009

sailingshoes wrote:

I'd like to raise a problem which is basic to translation for agencies, and which arises for me every so often.
Last week an agency I frequently work for forwarded a negative comment from ‘the client’ on a short job I had done. The PM accompanied the comment with a sort of ‘What do you think’ micro- message of their own. The client pointed out a pretty elementary typo in my job and stressed they thought the style of my work wasn’t up to ‘the usual standards’.
What annoyed me was the fact that the PM/agency seemed to be just stepping out of the way. There had been no negative comment about my work when I delivered. Also the work had obviously not been proof-read. There were other aggravating factors, such as the fact that the job had been assigned on the basis that I’d worked for ‘the client’ before, although I pointed out that I didn’t think this was the case and even requested some reference material, without success .
In the end I simply told the PM not to adopt this procedure in the future, and that I could not really comment on third-party criticism. I stressed that from my POV the agency was the client, and that once the PM accepted my work and passed it for quality, the problem was pretty much out of my hands. I accepted my share of responsibility but pointed out I needed to know about any perceived shortcomings in my work from the PM, or at the very least from someone else inside the agency.
I have to stress also that I have a good relationship with these people and that they often rely on me for what they see as difficult or challenging jobs.

[Modificato alle 2009-12-07 15:53 GMT]

Clear ideas: The responsibility against the agency belongs you. The responsibility against the client belongs to the agency. And we should not mix pears with apples, since to separate them may result us quite expensive.

Nevertheless, in economically turbulent times, I would ask myself: What does the client really want? Better quality? Or is it implicitly requesting a discount...?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is your responsibility Dec 9, 2009

sailingshoes wrote:
The client pointed out a pretty elementary typo in my job and stressed they thought the style of my work wasn’t up to ‘the usual standards’.

We cannot expect every agency to have people who are proficient in the language. In many cases, the end customer would not allow enough time to have your text proofread by a second person. Of course the agency is responsible towards their customer, the same way as you are responsible towards yours (the agency), but the reality of the market is that they rarely can run their own checks, for budget or time reasons.

In this situation --I will assume that they were right about the typo--, I think the worst approach is to feel hurt by the agency's attitude: a major issue was there and, as we say in Spain, you should "swallow it," offer your most sincere apologies, and carry on with a lesson learnt.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I entirely agree Dec 9, 2009

Mariela Diaz-Butler wrote:
Soooo, going back to your particular case, from what I can read, you admit to the error, and the impression you give is that you're offended by the end client pointing it out to the agency, and the agency pointing it out to you in turn and hoping that you'd help them respond to the criticism. Now, from what I can read (and I apologize in advance if I'm reading this wrong), you're acting a bit petulant. Yes, the agency should have done its job and proofread what you gave them, but YOU should have done your job and proofread what you did, and if a mistake escaped your own eyes, why are you surprised it escaped theirs too? And, even if this client is the agency's client and not yours, that does not free you from responsibility. As you said it yourself, your client is the agency, and if the agency is in hot water because of something YOU did, then it IS your problem, even if tangentially so.

I entirely agree with this...

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Will they pay? Dec 10, 2009

Did you talk to the agency if the client is willing to pay anything at all?

Mariela Diaz-Butler
Mariela Diaz-Butler
United States
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
But that is not even at stake here Dec 10, 2009

Cedomir Pusica wrote:

Did you talk to the agency if the client is willing to pay anything at all?

The thing is, that at no point has there been any questions about not paying. That's not what is bothering sailingshoes. Unless something was left out of the original posting, the agency was only looking for a response from the translator to the client's criticism. So, what's the harm then?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not yet there hasn't Dec 10, 2009

The thing is, that at no point has there been any questions about not paying.

Sailingshoes might be in for a little surprise when he or she presents the next bill.

Mariela Diaz-Butler
Mariela Diaz-Butler
United States
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're right, but... Dec 10, 2009

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

The thing is, that at no point has there been any questions about not paying.

Sailingshoes might be in for a little surprise when he or she presents the next bill.

Absolutely. Depending on the kind of agency we're talking about, and the kind of relationship they have with sailingshoes, that is always a possibility. However, that is, as of yet, pure conjecture, and at any rate, it is not what sailingshoes is complaining about. Basically, that's not what his/her beef is. His/her issue is that he/she was bothered by the agency to respond to a claim made by the end client, that he/she feels she doesn't need to address, because the job was already delivered and so it was out of his/her hands.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hmmm... Dec 13, 2009

What I especially like are posts where the original poster asks a question, twenty other people comment on it (and argue over it) and the original poster doesn't bother to reply any further. No offence, "sailingshoes".

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed Dec 14, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
What I especially like are posts where the original poster asks a question, twenty other people comment on it (and argue over it) and the original poster doesn't bother to reply any further. No offence, "sailingshoes".

Indeed. I entirely agree. But maybe we are wrong and sailingshoes does care about our sincere opinions, even if they were not quite what he/she expected.

Good luck everyone!

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I care, I care... Dec 31, 2009

...but how many posters responded to the original issue, viz.: "What annoyed me was the fact that the PM/agency seemed to be just stepping out of the way"?

Of course the agency offered to pay me in full. Of course there were no surpises. And of course I accepted no payment whatever for the work.

[Modificato alle 2009-12-31 14:08 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client-Agency-Translator relationship

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »