simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:34
Italian to English
+ ...
definitely doable Dec 24, 2009

Williamson wrote:

With Dragon Dictate (120 wpm), Trados or other CAT and MT combined, it should be feasible.

I agree. I use Dragon with either Trados or MemoQ and this is pretty much my daily limit. As far as I'm concerned, it's also a question of mental burnout. My brain pretty much stops responding after about 5,000-6,000 words, especially if I have to do it day after day. If I translated at my best rate for a full working day, I could do up to 8000 words a day, but in practice I hardly ever do, and even then only when dealing with highly repetitive texts. 5000 words a day for two weeks is doable, and I have done it on numerous occasions. My normal, comfortable rate is about 3000 words a day, but then again I also teach, so I expect that this is not representative of translators' daily output across the profession.

On another issue, the type of text will make a big difference. Something with little terminology, where I can just use Dragon, and where CAT tools are not required, will obviously take less time than something highly technical with various termbases to manage. On the plus side, of course, technical texts are more likely to give you TM leverage.

Having said that, 75,000 words over Christmas? Forget it. I'm taking a well-earned rest with the family! All the best,
Simon

Jacqueline Sieben
Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
I saw another 75,000 word job Dec 25, 2009

... posted here on 24 December (financial/business), which needs to be completed by 28 December. The post is closed now, the outsourcer - an Indian translation agency - found 4 people who are willing to take on part of this job for € 0.03 per non-matching word! Moreover, the agency requires those people to work with Trados. Who in the h*** is willing to take on such an urgent job during the holidays at such an incredibly insulting rate?? And are those people really capable of providing top-not... See more
... posted here on 24 December (financial/business), which needs to be completed by 28 December. The post is closed now, the outsourcer - an Indian translation agency - found 4 people who are willing to take on part of this job for € 0.03 per non-matching word! Moreover, the agency requires those people to work with Trados. Who in the h*** is willing to take on such an urgent job during the holidays at such an incredibly insulting rate?? And are those people really capable of providing top-notch translations? It really makes me angry... I also wonder how these project managers manage to deliver a quality translation to their client with such low rates.

[Edited at 2009-12-25 03:19 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What you earn Dec 25, 2009

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:
Posted here on 24 December, which needs to be completed by 28 December. The outsourcer - a translation agency [from the Northern Hemisphere] - found 4 people who are willing to take on part of this job for € 0.03 per non-matching word!

That's EUR 560 for four days' work, or EUR 140 per day, or EUR 20 per hour, or... as you say, EUR 0.03 per word. But if you look at it from the 4-day perspective, it is a sizeable amount of money for very few days' work. You can live from that amount of money for a whole week (in Europe) or two weeks (in my country) or perhaps even four weeks (in some other country). For four days' work.

And are those people really capable of providing top-notch translations? It really makes me angry... I also wonder how these project managers manage to deliver a quality translation to their client with such low rates.

Don't forget that it is the client who sets the deadline. If one agency refuses to take on the job because of a too tight deadline, some other agency will eventually accept it. As for the price, you can't say that the client is innocent in that respect either -- ultimately the client gets what he pays for with the limitations he himself places on the agency and its translators.

[Edited at 2009-12-25 08:05 GMT]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 17:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
What holidays? Dec 25, 2009

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:
... Who in the h*** is willing to take on such an urgent job during the holidays ...

Considering that this is a holiday weekend for only a minority of the world population, I see no problem on that score.

We work in a global economy - everyone doesn't share the same festivities and most countries don't shut down all business for two full weeks (or more) as from from 23rd December, as is now the norm in much of Europe.

MediaMatrix

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Minus charges... Dec 25, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
That's EUR 560 for four days' work, or EUR 140 per day, or EUR 20 per hour, or... as you say, EUR 0.03 per word. But if you look at it from the 4-day perspective, it is a sizeable amount of money for very few days' work. You can live from that amount of money for a whole week (in Europe) or two weeks (in my country) or perhaps even four weeks (in some other country). For four days' work.

Minus social charges and income tax, this would amount to less than some 365 € net income (some 13 € net income per hour and remember, you still have not paid your gas, electricity, food etc...). :-S Not such a great deal...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Minus charges... Dec 25, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
That's EUR 560 for four days' work.

Minus social charges and income tax, this would amount to less than some 365 € net income (some 13 € net income per hour and remember, you still have not paid your gas, electricity, food etc...).

Yes, but gas, electricity, food etc are what you're getting the income for anyway. Don't forget housing, entertainment etc. And after you've taken off the amount that you sent aside for savings, there is almost nothing left!

Can't freelancers deduct various expenses from their income tax in your country? A freelancer's income tax should be much, much less than a salaried worker's.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Depending... Dec 25, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Can't freelancers deduct various expenses from their income tax in your country? A freelancer's income tax should be much, much less than a salaried worker's.

Yes, but only if it is justified and documented. You can only deduct a part of e.g. the gas, electricity etc. costs - these are limited to the room you use for your work... Furthermore, it has been said (and refuted too) that the French state and the social institutions will eat up some 50% of your income - which appears to be true for those working with a wage portage company. Would it be interesting to work for 0.015 € per word? I leave the question open, as the answer is left to each of us.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Count me in :) Dec 25, 2009

mediamatrix wrote:
Considering that this is a holiday weekend for only a minority of the world population, I see no problem on that score.

We work in a global economy - everyone doesn't share the same festivities and most countries don't shut down all business for two full weeks (or more) as from from 23rd December, as is now the norm in much of Europe.

MediaMatrix

I do indeed think (no offence to anyone) that most of the Western world, starting with France, does not work enough to justify its living standards. It begins with (and in) school: 2 full months summer vacations (July and August) in France - it more and more becomes a luxury! And needless to say, a really unaffordable luxury for businesses: who can be expected to run on low throttle for 2 full months because of school vacations?

[Edited at 2009-12-25 13:56 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This thread makes me laugh... Dec 25, 2009

Are some colleages aware of the consequenses of what they write?
Not very clever from a Marketing point of view...

Merry Christmas!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
my guess Dec 25, 2009

who can be expected to run on low throttle for 2 full months because of school vacations?

May be teachers?

Yet I also think that business before pleasure... Probably *most* people will have real holidays only after death. So, let's go to work))

Cheers

[Edited at 2009-12-25 15:18 GMT]

Jacqueline Sieben
Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
It concerned an English-Dutch Dec 25, 2009

translation job, so it is most likely that the people working in this language pair will be enjoying the holidays. Anyway, 75,000 words in 4 days is impossible in my opinion, with or without Trados. Anyway, you will not get paid all 75,000 words, you will only get paid for the non-matching words...

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
My best guess Dec 26, 2009

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

It concerned an English-Dutch translation job, so it is most likely that the people working in this language pair will be enjoying the holidays. Anyway, 75,000 words in 4 days is impossible in my opinion, with or without Trados. Anyway, you will not get paid all 75,000 words, you will only get paid for the non-matching words...

My best guess: client who hastily had the source text finalised (I would be curious to see its readability), agency having bought the cat in the bag (just cannot resist the temptation of saying "Sir, yes, Sir!", ya' know) - two assumptions which would lead me to run away as fast as possible.

Michael Zapuskalov
Michael Zapuskalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:34
English to Russian
+ ...
Please, be more specific Dec 26, 2009

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro wrote:
I just received a job notification for 75,000 words in 15 working days (including Saturdays).
Bea

Speaking of numbers... 6 days and >2 pages later... Can you disclose the secret of its statistics (repetitions, 100%, Fuzzy 75%-99%) and subject?

Otherwise this is like saying out loud What is the cost of a car? and others responding I took it for 20K (GBP, USD or CZK no matter) in 2007 and there was a discount ... I inherited grandpa's trophy motorbike, runs on the cheapest fuel, etc.

It is very interesting but you can turn it useful. Not only for yourself.

P.S. Do you always work on Saturdays?

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No deal Dec 26, 2009

Hello Michael,
I didn't accept the job.
Cheers,
Bea

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:34
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Doable? Yes. If you don't have any other clients and not much else to do. Dec 27, 2009

If you never find any other inquiries from regular clients in your mailbox that need to be answered, and if nobody else ever calls you up anyway. Also, if you have a generator in your backyard that will prevent you from power failures. Also if you happen to work in a language pair that doesn't expand the target text by 15-20%.

Also, if you are some kind of bionic person or android who is immune to the common cold, headaches and upset stomachs. Oh, that's right - there is no time fo
... See more
If you never find any other inquiries from regular clients in your mailbox that need to be answered, and if nobody else ever calls you up anyway. Also, if you have a generator in your backyard that will prevent you from power failures. Also if you happen to work in a language pair that doesn't expand the target text by 15-20%.

Also, if you are some kind of bionic person or android who is immune to the common cold, headaches and upset stomachs. Oh, that's right - there is no time for meals.

Even if it might be "doable", I would never take the risk of breach of contract by delivering late. Murphy's Law...

If I really get the urge to prove myself, I might go skydiving or something but I don't put my client's deadlines and the quality of my work at risk.

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

75,000 words in 15 working days?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »