Japamerican
Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2010

Hello!

Thanks in advance. My client had emailed me that she will soon send me the PO for a project.
Would anyone care to tell me what a PO is?

Thanks!

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:58
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Purchase Order Aug 20, 2010

Hi there,

This is an important concept in any professional relationship: the purchase order (PO), where you should read:
- contact data
- name and concept of the translation project
- delivery deadline
- wordcount
- price
- payment conditions
- other special conditions
etc.

Regards,
Fabio

Japamerican
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Aug 20, 2010

Thanks Fabio for such a prompt response! I almost asked my client what it was, and you prevented me from embarrassing myself.

Thanks!

Joyce A
Joyce A  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:58
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nice timely reply to Japanese Person, Fabio. :-) Aug 20, 2010

This is why PROZ is such a great and essential site!

It's so good and comforting to always have PROZ to turn to for our language-related needs.

Japamerican
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Aug 20, 2010

Seriously! I would be lost without the support of my colleagues.

Ava Wells-Quantrell

Pascale Pluton
Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:58
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
issued before of after delivery? Aug 31, 2010

Hi there,

I regulary receive PO's after I have delivered the translation.
Which seems a bit odd to me.

Should it not make more sense to agree on terms before starting the translation?

What is you experience in that matter?

Ava Wells-Quantrell

Monica Tuduce
Monica Tuduce  Identity Verified
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
PO before Aug 31, 2010

A Purhcase Order is the commercial document that says:
"Yes, please, do this translation for me."
This is why it should always be sent BEFORE, not after the translation is done. I never start working without a PO.

Otherwise, a dishonest "client" could say, after you deliver the translation: Thank you, but I never said that you should make this translation for me. I never agreed to your price, your delivery term, etc. In fact, I had it done by somebody else and I don't s
... See more
A Purhcase Order is the commercial document that says:
"Yes, please, do this translation for me."
This is why it should always be sent BEFORE, not after the translation is done. I never start working without a PO.

Otherwise, a dishonest "client" could say, after you deliver the translation: Thank you, but I never said that you should make this translation for me. I never agreed to your price, your delivery term, etc. In fact, I had it done by somebody else and I don't see why I should pay you.

Of course, it could contain all kind of information, which may not all be mandatory. But it should always include at least the agreed unit price, the quantity and the term of delivery.
In case this basic information could change after the translaiton is done, you could ask for a Provisional Order and then, at the end, ask for the Final Order.
Collapse

Ava Wells-Quantrell

Sandrine Zérouali
Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 08:58
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It depends Aug 31, 2010

Hello,

Usually, I received the PO before sending the translation (rate and words are already fixed). But, I have one client with whom we agreed to send the PO after my proofreading job, because even I don't know exactly how much time it will take me to proofread the documents. When I finished the proofreading, I send him an email with the document and telling him that "it took me X hours with a rate X euros/hour and a total of .... euros" and he sends me back his PO.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:58
English to Thai
+ ...
Do no jobs without a valid PO Sep 2, 2010

One of major troubles among Internet based job assignment is a complicate communication. Until you are familiar with the new client, avoid starting the job without a valid PO. As a rule, a PO confirms a valid communication and transaction, and it prevents troubles legally. I have been working on accreditation audit of the quality management system e.g. ISO 9001 for many years. The purchasing process strongly demands a PO or contract verification to ensure the quality. This is clearly applicable ... See more
One of major troubles among Internet based job assignment is a complicate communication. Until you are familiar with the new client, avoid starting the job without a valid PO. As a rule, a PO confirms a valid communication and transaction, and it prevents troubles legally. I have been working on accreditation audit of the quality management system e.g. ISO 9001 for many years. The purchasing process strongly demands a PO or contract verification to ensure the quality. This is clearly applicable to translation and interpretation business.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
English to Arabic
PO Sep 2, 2010

Does it have to be signed ?

I have once received a PO with neither signature nor sealing, so

I wonder what legal significance does a PO have without a signature

or sealing ? (Of course, this should be a scanned document, or a fax)

[Edited at 2010-09-02 07:46 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
It is irrelevant Sep 2, 2010

It does not matter whether it is signed or not, if you don't have the original document itself. Scanned/faxed documents are as easily faked as regular email, so they are about as disimissible in court.

The real purpose of PO is formal committment of the client (so they cannot say: "we meant something completely else" or "actually, we did not order that"). When it comes to court, it is just a matter of credibility of each party.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:58
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Sometimes estimated PO before, final after Sep 2, 2010

Pascale Pluton wrote:

Hi there,

I regulary receive PO's after I have delivered the translation.
Which seems a bit odd to me.

Should it not make more sense to agree on terms before starting the translation?

What is you experience in that matter?

For hourly work or target-count work where the total is unknown in advance, it is common for the final PO to be issued after the job, but in that case an estimated PO is usually sent before, containing the scope of work, rates, etc., with a clear statement that it will be updated after. It may or may not have a not-to-exceed figure on it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is PO?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »