Yuko Kubo
Japan
Local time: 08:06
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 30, 2010

It's may be an old story but still happening.

Almost a year ago, one client I worked through an outsourcer (who are new to me so I confirmed they had no bad record with Blue Board ) refused to pay saying that the entire translation of 5,000 words (no reference provided in advance) was unusable. The outsourcer forwarded a few lines of "comments" made by the client's internal staff - I cannot identify who this "authority" is but must be native of target language with some knowledge
... See more
It's may be an old story but still happening.

Almost a year ago, one client I worked through an outsourcer (who are new to me so I confirmed they had no bad record with Blue Board ) refused to pay saying that the entire translation of 5,000 words (no reference provided in advance) was unusable. The outsourcer forwarded a few lines of "comments" made by the client's internal staff - I cannot identify who this "authority" is but must be native of target language with some knowledge of the source language. One of comments is like this: the translator must add corporate profile (which is not in the source, though) when a company name appears - it's quite weird and unreasonable. I wondered if this staff knew how to handle translation project, or did they just try "eat & run"? I can tell, from the contents, that the client is one of the internationally well-known brands.

I understand there is no such thing as "perfect translation" so I'm happy to make changes based on the feedback from client without extra charges. I offered the same to this client but they refused to further communicate and decided not to pay, then gone!

I had already issued my invoice based on the PO from the outsourcer but the outsourcer forwarded the e-mail from the client to me (including the person's name and email address!) as a proof to show they were not able to chase the client because they were not happy with the translation. In addition, the outsourcer told me that they decided not to work with this client anymore because they were "rude" - no news from them since. The project remains unpaid on my side.

Any good remedies to make me feel better?

scallions
Collapse

Riadh Muslih (X)
Riadh Muslih (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:06
Arabic to English
+ ...
No remedy Nov 30, 2010

... unless the outsourcer is within reach of the laws of your location. Unfortunately this is the realty of work over the internet. It's a sword of two edges, as the saying goes. It allows for more exposure and work, but it also gives rise to situations like yours.

Medium and big jobs need some kind of downpayment. We also need to insist on an outsourcer that in fact our position is that of a sub-contractor and its position being the main contractor. We deal with the outsourcer
... See more
... unless the outsourcer is within reach of the laws of your location. Unfortunately this is the realty of work over the internet. It's a sword of two edges, as the saying goes. It allows for more exposure and work, but it also gives rise to situations like yours.

Medium and big jobs need some kind of downpayment. We also need to insist on an outsourcer that in fact our position is that of a sub-contractor and its position being the main contractor. We deal with the outsourcer, and submit completed work (and invoice) to the outsourcer who is in a position of being our client. If the outsourcer did not get paid, or having trouble with its client, that's not our concern. We may help a little out of keeping the good business relation, but it is the contractor's responsibility to know the clients it deals with. It's not our responsibility being the subcontractors.

In turn, our responsibility to ourselves and our own business is to make sure, as much as feasibly possible, that we deal and accept work from someone we are confident of.

I will not contact, argue or bargain with the main client, as I technically have no contractual relationship with, or responsibility to, that client. That's the role of the outsourcer who is taking a cut of my work, or adding its own fees to it, and should bare the sole responsibility of getting paid or not.

This is how it is done in all other professions.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:06
English to Thai
+ ...
Our professional practice Nov 30, 2010

Riadh Muslih wrote:

I will not contact, argue or bargain with the main client, as I technically have no contractual relationship with, or responsibility to, that client. That's the role of the outsourcer who is taking a cut of my work, or adding its own fees to it, and should bare the sole responsibility of getting paid or not.

This is how it is done in all other professions.

I support this idea. Internet makes us work better but sometimes we met with extraordinary events!

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Yuko Kubo
Yuko Kubo
Japan
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Reality Nov 30, 2010

Riadh and Soonthon, thank you for your postings.

I'm supposed to know how the world works.
This experience makes me a better translator, I hope.

R.C. (X)
R.C. (X)
Local time: 01:06
English to Italian
+ ...
see also my forum post Nov 30, 2010

these things happen, I was just wondering what I posted a few minutes ago, it might help.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Deal it with the outsurcer Nov 30, 2010

Your have to deal it with the outsurcer, since you issued the PO to him/her and not to the final client.
What's the point of being an agency/outsurcer if you don't have any associated risk?
The outsurcer takes part of the money, and what do they give you in exchange?

Then it's the outsurcer that has to deal with the final client to get paid, but the final client is none of your business.
It's the outsurcer that has to provide proof of the correctness of your job t
... See more
Your have to deal it with the outsurcer, since you issued the PO to him/her and not to the final client.
What's the point of being an agency/outsurcer if you don't have any associated risk?
The outsurcer takes part of the money, and what do they give you in exchange?

Then it's the outsurcer that has to deal with the final client to get paid, but the final client is none of your business.
It's the outsurcer that has to provide proof of the correctness of your job to the client in order to get paid. To me, the outsurcer should suggest the client to name another translator to check you work, since nor the final client nor the outsurcer know the meaning of "translation".
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Make sure your translation is not used Nov 30, 2010

As long as you are not paid the rights for the translation are yours. So I would remind the end-client (if you know them) that your translation may not be used in any form, not even edited.

Yuko Kubo
Yuko Kubo
Japan
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Next time, if any Nov 30, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

As long as you are not paid the rights for the translation are yours. So I would remind the end-client (if you know them) that your translation may not be used in any form, not even edited.

They have already used the translation for sure.
I shall do so next time (hoping not it happens again, but...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with an "amateur" client & outsourcer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »