Thread poster: lingo_montreal
maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:40
English
+ ...
Totally agree with Lesley Mar 9, 2011

Lesley Clarke wrote:

As many others have already commented, in all my years translating I have never been asked to identify myself. In the end, if your translation is good, what concern is it of the agency what your identity is?

In any case, if you were not who you claimed to be, how could you be paid in that name and access the cash?

No, makes no sense however you look at it.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:10
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Traditions and cultures vary Mar 15, 2011

Daniel Grau wrote:

In Argentina, having your personal documentation photocopied whenever you enter a business transaction is very common. Perhaps this company has just started outsourcing internationally and they are not aware that in other countries even your zodiac sign is considered sensitive information.

I've experienced a similar cultural clash with a couple of clients in Spain. Their accountants have asked me for my tax ID number (i.e., Social Security Number), which is frankly none of their business unless they have dealings with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. But, of course, Spaniards are used to writing their DIN numbers all over the place and don't realize that in some countries we're advised not to give out our tax ID numbers unless absolutely necessary.

Gunnar Sommerfeldt
Gunnar Sommerfeldt
Norway
Local time: 21:10
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Not unless you're physically there... Mar 15, 2011

If they want to see your passport, they should come see you, and you can show them in person. That's the only way your passport should be communicated to them, if that, even.

ID theft is a huge problem, and even if someone doesn't steal your ID per se, someone might use the passport scan in online fraud schemes (such as gaining a victim's trust with a real ID document, etc).

In Norway, the NATID/DIN/SSN or whatever you choose to call it is also sensitive, and no one c
... See more
If they want to see your passport, they should come see you, and you can show them in person. That's the only way your passport should be communicated to them, if that, even.

ID theft is a huge problem, and even if someone doesn't steal your ID per se, someone might use the passport scan in online fraud schemes (such as gaining a victim's trust with a real ID document, etc).

In Norway, the NATID/DIN/SSN or whatever you choose to call it is also sensitive, and no one could pry that from me over the internet. Anyway... I'll just echo what most others have said; Send passport scan? Nope.

P.S. Consider checking out 419eater.com for massive info about online scams, ID theft, etc. (No affiliation, it's just a good site.)
Collapse

lingo_montreal
lingo_montreal  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:10
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again for the input! Mar 16, 2011

The employer who asked me for this type of i.d. is affiliated with the website called ICANLOCALIZE.COM. Have any of you heard of them? The website mentions a Las Vegas (Nevada, USA) address, though the contact for a particular Norwegian-English project I had responded to said she was actually based in Argentina... In the end, I DID NOT supply my passport. Opted instead to show her/them just a portion of my Quebec (Canada) driver's license (which, at any rate, is in French only). Similar to what ... See more
The employer who asked me for this type of i.d. is affiliated with the website called ICANLOCALIZE.COM. Have any of you heard of them? The website mentions a Las Vegas (Nevada, USA) address, though the contact for a particular Norwegian-English project I had responded to said she was actually based in Argentina... In the end, I DID NOT supply my passport. Opted instead to show her/them just a portion of my Quebec (Canada) driver's license (which, at any rate, is in French only). Similar to what some of you already commented, I've been working freelance for nearly 19 years, and have never been asked by companies (here or abroad) to supply such personal i.d. before. Thank you all for having taken the time to share your opinions with me on this topic.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Supplying passport info to agency?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »