Chrome icon lights up on task bar, but doesn't respond to clicking and no pages open
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2021

This is with Windows 10. It's never happened before, and I can use Edge meanwhile, like now, but I have to put in all the URLs for various sites, with codes and all, and had to code in here too.

The antimalware reports nothing, and everything else works. It also means I have to use g-mail from Edge too, or my backup non gmail.

The icon just sits there lit, but that's all it does, lights up.

A customer's just told me her office is having Chrome problems too
... See more
This is with Windows 10. It's never happened before, and I can use Edge meanwhile, like now, but I have to put in all the URLs for various sites, with codes and all, and had to code in here too.

The antimalware reports nothing, and everything else works. It also means I have to use g-mail from Edge too, or my backup non gmail.

The icon just sits there lit, but that's all it does, lights up.

A customer's just told me her office is having Chrome problems too, a tiny relief.

[Edited at 2021-06-17 11:22 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:31
Danish to English
+ ...
Hmm Jun 17, 2021

Traditional support would ask you to check that your computer is powered on and connected to a mains outlet, but I think we can skip that.

The first thing to try is to restart your computer.

Try to end any lingering Chrome tasks from the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open) in case some corrupted Chrome task is blocking it.

Can the Chrome icon be unpinned from the taskbar?

Can Chrome be started from the Start menu?

Can you
... See more
Traditional support would ask you to check that your computer is powered on and connected to a mains outlet, but I think we can skip that.

The first thing to try is to restart your computer.

Try to end any lingering Chrome tasks from the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open) in case some corrupted Chrome task is blocking it.

Can the Chrome icon be unpinned from the taskbar?

Can Chrome be started from the Start menu?

Can you start Chrome from Windows Explorer by navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application?

More questions than answers, I know.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried a few ... Jun 17, 2021

... of those, but rushed right now. Have to try and fix this later. Thanks, Thomas!

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Can't help too... Jun 17, 2021

... because I get today my first Astra shot (very surprisingly)!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 17:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Me too Jun 17, 2021

I seldom use Chrome but when I tried recently, I got a message that I should re-install it.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Be Brave Jun 18, 2021

If you can't get it to work try Brave.

Been using it for a while now and it's OK after turning the ads off (toggle in settings), for a mobile too.

Takes about 5 mins to set up and import everything.

Doesn't work for some of those pesky agency portals, which is when I go back to Firefox or Chrome.

expressisverbis

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Chrome fix Jun 18, 2021

From the Help Desk that I have been interpreting for. See if this helps:

The best way is to create a desktop shortcut for it but they can also type the command in after clicking on Start or search.

Right-click on the desktop, go to new and shortcut.

In the location box put taskkill /f /t /im chrome.exe and click next. (Note the spaces before each / and between IM and chrome.exe)

Give it a more useful name like Chrome Killer,
... See more
From the Help Desk that I have been interpreting for. See if this helps:

The best way is to create a desktop shortcut for it but they can also type the command in after clicking on Start or search.

Right-click on the desktop, go to new and shortcut.

In the location box put taskkill /f /t /im chrome.exe and click next. (Note the spaces before each / and between IM and chrome.exe)

Give it a more useful name like Chrome Killer, Kill Chrome etc. and click Finish.

For the other part of the fix:

Start by running the shortcut we just created OR log off the computer and log back on.

Click Start or search and type %localappdata%\google\chrome\ and it will show it as a file folder, press ENTER.

It will open a window with a User Data folder inside. Click on the User Data folder and delete it.

Chrome should now open.
Collapse

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chrome icon lights up on task bar, but doesn't respond to clicking and no pages open

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »