Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Finding work, fast, lost my previous client(s)
Thread poster: S_G_C
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 00:09
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Technical writing Dec 19, 2022

Maybe it's worth a try?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 02:09
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe Dec 20, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Maybe it's worth a try?

Will be looking into it, thank you.

expressisverbis

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 18:09
English to Russian
+ ...
there is something I don't understand Dec 20, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:
We do not qualify for benefits at all since my partner is working. To qualify for benefits here one has to have 0 taxable income for several months.

Sorana, you do not call your partner "a spouse", which means that formally you are a single mother with the unwell child, and your partner's income should have nothing to do with your right to the appropriate benefits, if Romania offers any at all. This is why certain "smart" people in America never marry.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 01:09
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Partner Dec 21, 2022

IrinaN wrote:
Sorana, you do not call your partner "a spouse", which means that formally you are a single mother with the unwell child, and your partner's income should have nothing to do with your right to the appropriate benefits, if Romania offers any at all.

Or she just doesn't feel like sharing any details about her relationship on a public forum towards total strangers. Ever thought about that ?

expressisverbis
Robert Rietvelt
Rachel Waddington
Michael Newton
Ester Vidal

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:09
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Balloon twisting Dec 21, 2022

You should definitely try balloon twisting! It's not a joke, for I managed to build up quite a fortune with this. You'll need balloons, a welcoming smile, and you should get along well with children

Balloons are cheap, and all the skills can be obtained by watching YouTube videos. Make some funny creatures or flowers from balloons and start selling them in places where there are lots of children. Theaters and zoos wil
... See more
You should definitely try balloon twisting! It's not a joke, for I managed to build up quite a fortune with this. You'll need balloons, a welcoming smile, and you should get along well with children

Balloons are cheap, and all the skills can be obtained by watching YouTube videos. Make some funny creatures or flowers from balloons and start selling them in places where there are lots of children. Theaters and zoos will work as well.

And it won't take much time from you because you'll mostly sell'em on weekends.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Pardners Dec 21, 2022

IrinaN wrote:]
Sorana, you do not call your partner "a spouse", which means that formally you are a single mother with the unwell child, and your partner's income should have nothing to do with your right to the appropriate benefits, if Romania offers any at all. This is why certain "smart" people in America never marry.

Most civilised societies treat unmarried couples the same as married ones.

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Kay Denney
Robert Rietvelt
Thomas T. Frost

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
USA Dec 21, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

IrinaN wrote:]

Most civilised societies treat unmarried couples the same as married ones.

The main difference between a marriage and a domestic partnership is that marriages are recognized by the federal government, while domestic partnerships are not. This means couples in domestic partnerships do not have access to federal benefits like Social Security survivor benefits or spousal immigration status.

https://www.trottolaw.com/domestic-partnership-vs-marriage-in-new-york/

I think Sorana said she did not qualify, which means she researched it for her country. Maybe she can try again or consult legal aid.

IrinaN

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 18:09
English to Russian
+ ...
Maybe so Dec 21, 2022

Most civilised societies treat unmarried couples the same as married ones. [/quote]

But, unfortunately, treatment by the civilized society differs from treatment by the tax authorities. Yet I don't think it would be ethical and fair to Sorana to turn her cry for help into this discussion and step on her nerves any further. All I'm saying is that in the US, according to federal laws and tax regulations, benefits of single (unmarried) mothers are not affected by an "unofficial" (sorry
... See more
Most civilised societies treat unmarried couples the same as married ones. [/quote]

But, unfortunately, treatment by the civilized society differs from treatment by the tax authorities. Yet I don't think it would be ethical and fair to Sorana to turn her cry for help into this discussion and step on her nerves any further. All I'm saying is that in the US, according to federal laws and tax regulations, benefits of single (unmarried) mothers are not affected by an "unofficial" (sorry, can't find a better word) partner's income.

"No. Registered domestic partners may not file a federal return using a married filing separately or jointly filing status. Registered domestic partners are not married under state law. Therefore, these taxpayers are not married for federal tax purposes." irs.gov

Speaking of my intrusion on Sorana's privacy, it's a gross and uncalled for exaggeration. Where did I demand any answers from her?

[Edited at 2022-12-21 15:47 GMT]
Collapse

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Law Dec 21, 2022

IrinaN wrote:

Sorana_M. wrote:
We do not qualify for benefits at all since my partner is working. To qualify for benefits here one has to have 0 taxable income for several months.

The Romanian law has recently redefined the concept of "family". Spouse or no spouse, as long as he is living with us (the local Social Services are running inquiries concerning this) and taking care of the common expenses, in part or in whole, his income counts.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Funny Dec 21, 2022

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:

You should definitely try balloon twisting! It's not a joke...

But it is funny!
I gave myself a welcoming smile, ha ha.

Nikolay Novitskiy
Kay Denney

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Because Dec 21, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

I think Sorana said she did not qualify, which means she researched it for her country. Maybe she can try again or consult legal aid.

I do not qualify as the Romanian law has recently redefined the concept of "family". I am not considered a single mother because my partner is my daughter's father, as stated in her birth certificate, and he is living with us, as stated in the tenancy agreement. So it is assumed he is taking care of our common expenses, in whole or in part.

I've applied for a proz.com job and will continue to apply.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Advertise Romanian INTO English Dec 21, 2022

Just touch up your profile a bit first. Your profile text has all the classical Eastern Europeanisms (quotes on names, "the" before Departments, etc.), while the English in your actual posts seems fine.

Never ever market yourself as an "English > non-rich country language" translator. Lots of unqualified random people advertise that when unemployed and no one takes them seriously.

Advertise in the opposite direction, lock in Western rates, and only THEN mention you can
... See more
Just touch up your profile a bit first. Your profile text has all the classical Eastern Europeanisms (quotes on names, "the" before Departments, etc.), while the English in your actual posts seems fine.

Never ever market yourself as an "English > non-rich country language" translator. Lots of unqualified random people advertise that when unemployed and no one takes them seriously.

Advertise in the opposite direction, lock in Western rates, and only THEN mention you can work in the opposite direction too after you have done a few jobs.

Also, delete the part about part-time and don't call the time zone Romanian. Probably say "usually available" and just mention being from the EU. You can always tell clients "no" later, there's no need to start by implying that you plan to regularly say "no" (especially since chances are you really won't).

[Edited at 2022-12-21 22:59 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
You can do this Dec 22, 2022

This is a tough spot to be in, and I sympathize with your situation.

Here are a few thoughts that are meant to be helpful, although they can come across a bit harsh.

- First, determine for yourself if this is a case of the game "Why don't you… Yes, but" that Eric Berne has described in his book "Games People Play".

In this game, the asker is not so much seeking solutions, which they dismiss one after the other as people suggest them, as they are trying (a
... See more
This is a tough spot to be in, and I sympathize with your situation.

Here are a few thoughts that are meant to be helpful, although they can come across a bit harsh.

- First, determine for yourself if this is a case of the game "Why don't you… Yes, but" that Eric Berne has described in his book "Games People Play".

In this game, the asker is not so much seeking solutions, which they dismiss one after the other as people suggest them, as they are trying (among other things) to comfort themselves in the existential position they identify with, which can be a position of helplessness or otherwise.

I don't say this is the case here, but if it is, my suggestion would be to resolve to root firmly on a problem-solving mindset rather than an existential-position-confirming mindset.

- Freelance translation differs from salaried work in fundamental ways. Especially, there is no steady income, access to some social advantages and loans is more difficult (for the latter, that is not necessarily a bad thing, as debt should be generally avoided), and feast and famine cycles are common. There is also the risk of over-relying on a limited client base, and building or re-buidling one takes time and effort, as it is not a matter of finding a "job".

The implications are:
- one should shoot for having at least a few months of funds on the side to help navigate times of lower activity, respond to emergencies, etc. Building this kind of resiliency should be non-negotiable. The risks for doing otherwise aren't worth it. It may sound rich to say that now that they are other more pressing issues, but this is a kind of strategic decision that is important to make from the outset.
- Negotiating from a position of no urgency and need is key. You are long enough in this profession to know that business relationships do not develop overnight. Even if you are in a tough spot, you are not a job seeker, but a professional looking for mutually beneficial and value-adding collaborations. Your need is irrelevant to the other party, plus neediness can be offputting or a basis for exploitation. Even in times of need, try to keep your cool and negotiate from the position of someone who can afford to say no. In the meantime, fake it until you make it. Make sure all your communications reflect that.
- Realistically, if the urgency is so great that you cannot wait for new business relationships to develop organically over time, expand your horizons (including outside of the profession) and do whatever it takes until you get back to a better position. I don't know what options you have, but I am sure you are a resourceful person, and will find a way to get around this, as you have done so in the past.
- Working under excessive stress is no good, especially in a profession relying on quality and focused mental work. Be sure to work on building an environment (internal and external) that helps in that direction.

- Adieu's post highlights an important aspect. Take some time to study how you present yourself, in marketing materials, profiles and communications. Look at this from the perspective of an agency/client and extend it to past collaborations. The art of keeping clients is arguably more lucrative and effective than constantly having to find new ones. Are you easy to work with? Do you get along well with PMs and cater to their needs? Investing some time to analyze and improve how you present yourself can have a big impact on how many collaborations you land and keep for any given effort.

You can do this!

[Edited at 2022-12-22 05:19 GMT]
Collapse

Baran Keki
Nikolay Novitskiy

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Ty Dec 22, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

In this game, the asker is not so much seeking solutions, which they dismiss one after the other as people suggest them, as they are trying (among other things) to comfort themselves in the existential position they identify with, which can be a position of helplessness or otherwise.

- Adieu's post highlights an important aspect. Take some time to study how you present yourself, in marketing materials, profiles and communications. Look at this from the perspective of an agency/client and extend it to past collaborations. The art of keeping clients is arguably more lucrative and effective than constantly having to find new ones. Are you easy to work with? Do you get along well with PMs and cater to their needs? Investing some time to analyze and improve how you present yourself can have a big impact on how many collaborations you land and keep for any given effort.

You can do this!

[Edited at 2022-12-22 05:19 GMT]

I actually hate helplessness. The truth is, I'm pretty good at various things, only those things have not been/are not lucrative, money-wise.

Thank you!

Kay Denney
Jean Dimitriadis
Rachel Waddington
Adieu

Manuela C.
Manuela C.
English to French
+ ...
Work offer Dec 22, 2022

Hi Sorana, I might have some projects for you if you contact me.
Thank you,

[Edited at 2022-12-22 19:18 GMT]

Tom in London
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding work, fast, lost my previous client(s)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »