Thread poster: bello82 (X)
bello82 (X)
bello82 (X)
Local time: 23:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 11, 2021

Hello all,

I'd like to apply for the translator postion at the EU Parliament. I have seen that there will be translation tests after the candidates have passed all the numerical and verbal reasoning tests.

Does anynone know whether it is allowed to use dictionaries during the tests? The website shows that the time limit is 90 minutes, so I was wondering!

Anyone who took the tests or is already working there as a translator wants to share their experience?
... See more
Hello all,

I'd like to apply for the translator postion at the EU Parliament. I have seen that there will be translation tests after the candidates have passed all the numerical and verbal reasoning tests.

Does anynone know whether it is allowed to use dictionaries during the tests? The website shows that the time limit is 90 minutes, so I was wondering!

Anyone who took the tests or is already working there as a translator wants to share their experience?

How difficult are the tests? What is the level required? Do you need to be a genius?

I look forward to reading your answers

Thank you
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
French to English
This should help Jun 13, 2021

https://epso.europa.eu/help/faq/2855_en

However, in order to obtain up-to-date and precise information regarding the tests, I would not recommend not relying on anything I say, nor on any source provide a link to. Rely only on information provided to you from your official source.

[Edited at 2021-06-13 14:12 GMT]

Dalia Nour
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Nikki Jun 13, 2021

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

https://epso.europa.eu/help/faq/2855_en

However, in order to obtain up-to-date and precise information regarding the tests, I would not recommend not relying on anything I say, nor on any source provide a link to. Rely only on information provided to you from your official source.

[Edited at 2021-06-13 14:12 GMT]

As I told the poster in another thread (https://www.proz.com/forum/italian/351419-prove_test_di_traduzione_per_il_parlamento_europeo.html) all needed details are in the Notice of Competition. The first stage of the competition consists of verbal, numerical and abstract reasoning tests. As these are usually quite difficult EPSO sells a series of helpful packages with examples and solutions (https://eutraining.eu/products/linguist#lawyer-linguist-2021). In my opinion these are worth every cent…

Dalia Nour

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
By the way Jun 13, 2021

You’re applying to what position exactly? Intercultural and language professional?

bello82 (X)
bello82 (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EU competitions Jun 21, 2021

Thank you Nikki and Teresa for replying and for providing the links.

No, not for the Intercultural professional but for the Translator position. To be honest, I wouldn't to want to live in Luxembourg

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation tests for the European Parliament

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »