Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:11
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
DNS... for some people probably Dec 16, 2008

ICL wrote:
This is already happening, Tomás, and you often read in these forums about translators who are successfully using this kind of voice-based software, maybe not for ALL translations, but at least for some, so I would not be the least surprised if, in the long run, Trados and CAT tools start incorporating this kind of technology in their interface.

Yes, I have seriously considered that technology and have seen some people using it. However, I still haven't made up my mind about it. I translate so much tag-based stuff that I get lazy about having to speak around the tags all the time. As I work with 2 more people in the office and with several computers, I would have to A) disturb my colleagues; B) pay several licenses.

But I haven't forgotten about the technology. I might give it a serious try in the medium run.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
philips keyboard May 16, 2009

I tried every keyboard at a shop including the very expensive ones and finally bought a basic philips keyboard with less than 10USD. It is not perfect but it is already the most comfortable the quiet keyboard I ever used. I already have 5 or 6 keyboards!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Flexible waterproof keyboard May 16, 2009

Rie Matsuda wrote:
One of my wish list items is a QUIET keyboard - it doesn't matter whether it is wired or wireless, ergonomic or not.

After I spilled coffee onto my keyboard for the tenth time (and it tends to deteriorate when you rinse it too often), my wife bought me a flexible waterproof keyboard. However, I did not like this new keyboard because (a) it is too flat, (b) it is too quiet and (c) it is too soft. I like my keyboards loud, hard en slightly raised.

Example:
http://www.alibaba.com/product/ecotod-167772-0/Rollable_Waterproof_Keyboard.html

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Virtual keyboard (nailclipper included?) May 16, 2009

ViktoriaG wrote:
You may want to check out this neat virtual keyboard: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

I don't have one, but I can imagine you must have either very, very short nails or the working surface must be soft enough, otherwise you might suffer from nail fatigue long before wrist fatigue gets you.

[Edited at 2009-05-16 15:22 GMT]

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 16, 2009

Samuel and Dallas,

It's been a while since I started this thread... I bought a couple of keyboards from newegg.com (I love the site!), and now I enjoy Saitek and Lite-ON. Lite-on is great for the price (only us $7.00)!

I figured out what I want - low noise is a must, but also I want keys not so "deep" that I don't have to press all the way. Saitek has the backlight, which is an added bonus!

Regards
Rie

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quiet keyboard

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »