LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:32
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Bound computer user manuals? Maybe in a museum... Jul 8, 2012

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

Sometimes, things with buttons are sold with small bound pieces of paper with some letters on them giving a clue what to do in case of unexpected discoveries like missing buttons. These pieces of paper are often referred to as User Manual.

Hm... you might be due for a new computer, Sergei - it's probably been the better part of a decade since any computer has come with a bound User Manual. They are all pdfs on the hard drive now - all you get in the box is a start-up leaflet that basically says, "This is a 'computer': to use, plug it in and press the On button."

[Edited at 2012-07-08 07:58 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:32
English to Czech
+ ...
Not quite Jul 8, 2012

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

Sometimes, things with buttons are sold with small bound pieces of paper with some letters on them giving a clue what to do in case of unexpected discoveries like missing buttons. These pieces of paper are often referred to as User Manual.

Hm... you might be due for a new computer, Sergei - it's probably been the better part of a decade since any computer has come with a bound User Manual. They are all pdfs on the hard drive now - all you get in the box is a start-up leaflet that basically says, "This is a 'computer': to use, plug it in and press the On button."

Not quite so, Rudolf. My brand-new and shiny Vaio (bought it a week ago) came with a full printed manual in my language. Other languages were in a PDF though. (OT: Unfortunately enough, it also came with a bunch of useless pre-installed software such as media galleries, Acrobat Pro trial, Office 2010 Starter containing only Word and Excel riddled with annoying ads etc. What kind of practice is this? I'd expect a clean OS with a new machine.)

Every brand seems to have a strategy of its own...

[Upraveno: 2012-07-08 17:19 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:32
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@Stanislav re. bloatware Jul 8, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
What kind of practice is this? I'd expect a clean OS with a new machine.)

Sadly, fairly typical - although Sony isn't probably isn't the worst bloatware offender (HP, I mean you!). A clean OS install often available as a (usually paid) option if you order/customize a notebook from the manufacturer's website, but generally not on off-the-shelf/in-store models. Sony does offer a "fresh start" option on 64-bit Win7 systems (at least on customized Vaio Zs, not sure about other series).

Sorry, not trying to get to far OT.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:32
English to Czech
+ ...
OT again Jul 8, 2012

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
What kind of practice is this? I'd expect a clean OS with a new machine.)

Sadly, fairly typical - although Sony isn't probably isn't the worst bloatware offender (HP, I mean you!).

Hi Rudolf,
as a matter of fact, my previous machine was an HP (ProBook 4320s). The only bloatware there was HP Tools. With Sony, this was much, much worse. I have this one from a wholesaler, so no clean installation option was available.

Thanks for the info, though!

Getting Priorities Right Sep 27, 2012

Afraid that since my PC running XP died, I've joined the ranks of those who keep asking why 'upgrades' usually deliver less than their ancestors.

Using Access to keep track of an oversize home library I often used the F2 key to edit text. Thanks to comments on this thread I used a strong light and magnifying glass and finally made out the minuscule key labeling on this Toshiba laptop (F2 is now by default for screen brightness, which I've needed to change exactly no times at all).... See more
Afraid that since my PC running XP died, I've joined the ranks of those who keep asking why 'upgrades' usually deliver less than their ancestors.

Using Access to keep track of an oversize home library I often used the F2 key to edit text. Thanks to comments on this thread I used a strong light and magnifying glass and finally made out the minuscule key labeling on this Toshiba laptop (F2 is now by default for screen brightness, which I've needed to change exactly no times at all).

Now (thanks to this thread) I've learned to press 2 keys to enable an edit, whereas one did the job before. Possibly accountants have found similar problems using Excel?

With XP I used to search for documents by their content (very often); and despite the complaints when Vista did away with this useful option, it's still missing in Windows 7. Google Desktop has now been withdrawn, so I guess I'll be looking for some similar Freeware.

Windows 7 is an improvement on Vista, but just another downgrade on XP. (Don't start me talking about the problems of recording sound with Windows 7.)

Pity Microsoft (and Toshiba) don't consult a wider range of users before making changes like these.

Apologies for rambling a bit off-topic with my first post here, but I think that puts me in good company.

[Edited at 2012-09-27 09:25 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New laptop has no F1, F2, F3 keys etc.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »