my DVD drive is giving me nothing but attitude...
Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 25, 2006

Basically, it is picking and choosing which DVDs it feels like playing, and when. Yesterday I took a break while watching a movie on DVD, and when I came back my PC refused to acknowledge there was a disk in the drive (this was the very disk I had been watching). The same thing happened the day before. Other disks, it will play with no problem. I have been having some other major problems with my ... See more
Basically, it is picking and choosing which DVDs it feels like playing, and when. Yesterday I took a break while watching a movie on DVD, and when I came back my PC refused to acknowledge there was a disk in the drive (this was the very disk I had been watching). The same thing happened the day before. Other disks, it will play with no problem. I have been having some other major problems with my PC (see recent posting http://www.proz.com/topic/48155 ) and I am aware I need to re-install Windows XP. Any ideas as to whether this could be a related problem?

Many thanks,

Susana

[Edited at 2006-05-26 06:22]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:23
Flemish to English
+ ...
Drivers. May 26, 2006

Seems to me that the drivers for your DVD are not found or that the .dll which refers to your DVD is damaged/lost.
Go to Start>Control Panel>Add Hardware>DoubleClick Add Hardware and follow the instructions of the wizard.
Insert the Cd with the drivers of your DVD or choose the appropriate driver from the drivers you find in the list proposed by the hardware-driver wizard.
If you don't have too much software on your P.C., I would advise you to save your work and reinstall Windo
... See more
Seems to me that the drivers for your DVD are not found or that the .dll which refers to your DVD is damaged/lost.
Go to Start>Control Panel>Add Hardware>DoubleClick Add Hardware and follow the instructions of the wizard.
Insert the Cd with the drivers of your DVD or choose the appropriate driver from the drivers you find in the list proposed by the hardware-driver wizard.
If you don't have too much software on your P.C., I would advise you to save your work and reinstall Windows XP.
After a couple of years, some .dlls will be scattered or will not be recognized causing system failures.
Collapse

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:23
Polish to English
+ ...
Possibly unrelated to your connectivity problems May 26, 2006

Hi Susana,

Arbitrary playing/not playing DVDs may signify a dirty DVD lens, de-calibrated drive, or a drive that is somewhere near the end of its lifespan. How long have you been using it?

Most PC DVD drives are made of cheap hardware these days, and, if used daily, often can't make it far beyond the warranty period. If a cleaning disk (available in any computer store) doesn't help, I don't believe OS reinstallation will - unless you have some faulty drive management so
... See more
Hi Susana,

Arbitrary playing/not playing DVDs may signify a dirty DVD lens, de-calibrated drive, or a drive that is somewhere near the end of its lifespan. How long have you been using it?

Most PC DVD drives are made of cheap hardware these days, and, if used daily, often can't make it far beyond the warranty period. If a cleaning disk (available in any computer store) doesn't help, I don't believe OS reinstallation will - unless you have some faulty drive management software installed of which you are not aware.

The only thing I can think of apart from cleaning, is checking if the drive's firmware is up to date. Somewhere at www.nero.com there should be freely downloadable "drive info" or similar software (I can't remember the exact name at the moment) which will show you all the information about your drive. Check the firmware version, and update from the manufacturer's site if necessary.

If the problem persists after all this, I suggest handing the component in for a replacement (if still covered by warranty), or buying a new one.

[Edited at 2006-05-26 07:22]
Collapse

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already tried that May 26, 2006

Williamson wrote:

The wizard is telling me this device is working properly.

Thanks for your help, anyway

Susana

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
here's a conundrum May 26, 2006

Williamson wrote:
If you don't have too much software on your P.C., I would advise you to save your work and reinstall Windows XP.

I need to reinstall Windows XP no matter what, since I am having connectivity issues. The question is, if I save my work in DVD disks, as usual, before reinstalling the OS and then it turns out my DVD drive is not working...I should definitely take care of the drive first, right?

Susana

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dirty lens sounds right May 26, 2006

Adam Podstawczynski wrote:

A dirty DVD lens is what I was suspecting, as sometimes it will refuse to play a disk and then all of a sudden "something clicks" and the disk will play with no problem. The drive is about 3 years old, but since I don't have a TV I often use it to watch movies on DVD. And yes, those rentals and library disks are often not the cleanest... I will definitely try a cleaning disk first (he, I did not even know those existed...) and take it from there.

Thank you for all your valuable suggestions

Susana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

my DVD drive is giving me nothing but attitude...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »