Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:02
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 23, 2007

Caro mio ben, credimi almen, senza di te languisce il cor,
caro mio ben, senza di te languisce il cor.
Il tuo fedel sospira ognor.
Cessa, crudel, tanto rigor!
Cessa crudel, tanto rigor, tanto rigor!
caro mio ben, credimi almen,senza di te languisce il cor.

I do apologize for asking this question in English. I wouldn't have to ask this question if I could speak Italian.

Our cho
... See more
caro mio ben, senza di te languisce il cor.
Il tuo fedel sospira ognor.
Cessa, crudel, tanto rigor!
Cessa crudel, tanto rigor, tanto rigor!
caro mio ben, credimi almen,senza di te languisce il cor.

I do apologize for asking this question in English. I wouldn't have to ask this question if I could speak Italian.

Our choir is practicing this beatiful song and I have two problems with the proper Italian pronunciation:

Il tuo fedel - we have one note for tuo. What should the soprana sing: too, tow, tvo?

Sospira ognor - I beleive it's short for sospira ognora - we have four notes. How would an Italian squash these words into these four notes: sos-pee-ro-nyor, sos-pee-ra-nor?

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Angelica Perrini
Angelica Perrini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
My 2 ceN(o)T(e)S Feb 23, 2007

Hi Gerard,

in my opinion, the soprana should sing this way:

heel-two fedel (with Two pronounced as too-oh) for "Il tuo fedel"
and
sos-pee-ro-nyor - as you suggest - for "Sospira ognor"

Here again, you're right. Sospira ognor is short for sospira ognora.

Cheers,

Angelica

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 24, 2007

Mille grazie!

Gerard

Alfredo Tutino
Alfredo Tutino  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
the web Feb 24, 2007

some useful links: at

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Caro_mio_ben_(Giuseppe_Giordani)&printable=yes

you'll find a pronunciation guide. I can't say if its good or not, because I'm not good at all at backtranslating pronunciation, but you should at least get an idea.<
... See more
some useful links: at

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Caro_mio_ben_(Giuseppe_Giordani)&printable=yes

you'll find a pronunciation guide. I can't say if its good or not, because I'm not good at all at backtranslating pronunciation, but you should at least get an idea.

at:

http://www.emusic.com/album/11003/11003234.html

you'll find a free download of the version sung by Beniamino Gigli, a very great Italian tenor of the past. I haven't tried it but it should be a pleasure to listen - and, besides being Italian, he came from a school that used to stress the importance of making words understandable even in virtuosistic singing.

Moreover...

1. The proper word is "soprano", not soprana. It is a masculine noun ("il soprano") even if it refers to a female singer (originally, the word was referred to the upper line of a four-part score for vocal music, with no reference to the singer, who might well have been a child or a "castrato"). Since nowadays sopranos are women, many Italians tend to say "la soprano" - making it a feminine noun with an unusual desinence in "-o" - but it never becames "soprana". You could find "soprana", in Italian texts, however, as the feminine form of the old and disused adjective "soprano" - that could generally be translated, more or less, as "above".

2. In Italian metrical writing, (e.g. when you count syllabes for making verses), when a word ends by a wovel and the next begins by another, the two syllabes are ordinarily perceived and counted as one, even when those wovel are not fit to form a diphtong in ordinary words (unless they are separated by the verse's caesura, I think). Thus, even in ordinary reading, "sospira ognor" should scan as so - spi - rao - gnor.

Enjoy you singing!
I think it was Auden who said something like "since our bliss in Paradise will be in singing together, we may as well just begin here"!

[Edited at 2007-02-24 10:51]

[Edited at 2007-02-24 16:23]

[Edited at 2007-02-24 19:16]
Collapse

Mirelluk
P.L.F. Persio

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:02
German to English
+ ...
mio Feb 24, 2007

Looking at a pdf of the vocal score from:

www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=320

it appears that "mio" has to be sung on one note even shorter than "tuo".

If you do not have a player for the midi file available there (it would be interesting to see Rosegarden play it but I don't currently have it installed and its installati
... See more
Looking at a pdf of the vocal score from:

www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=320

it appears that "mio" has to be sung on one note even shorter than "tuo".

If you do not have a player for the midi file available there (it would be interesting to see Rosegarden play it but I don't currently have it installed and its installation can be rather involved) there's a free .wma (rather more recent than the Gigli) on Lulu:

www.lulu.com/content/190425

[Edited at 2007-02-24 14:59]
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Alfredo Feb 24, 2007

Thanks for all the links and your extensive reply. Beniamino Gigli was my mother's favourite.

Regards,
Gerard

Stefano Lodola
Stefano Lodola  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 09:02
Korean to Italian
+ ...
Italian pronunciation for opera singers Jun 11, 2018

On this website, you find the complete audio recording of the lyrics of Caro mio ben and other arias.

http://www.italian-for-singing.com/downloads/caro-mio-ben-giordani/

P.L.F. Persio

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Such a coincidence Jun 11, 2018

Thank you for the link, Stefano,

Such a coincidence, I sang this last evening.

Cheers,
Gerard

P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Caro mio ben

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »