Anette Jakobsen
Anette Jakobsen
Denmark
Local time: 11:05
Danish to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2008

Hi everyone

I've been testing MemoQ and also looking at Trados - though no demo was available for testing Trados and they weren't about to let me have one. Fortunately I've used Trados before, several years ago so I do know most of what is good to know. I started testing MemoQ after a friend told me about it and said she thought it was far better than Trados.

So far I've tried setting up a project with the wizard and this was easy enough. I created a translation memory
... See more
Hi everyone

I've been testing MemoQ and also looking at Trados - though no demo was available for testing Trados and they weren't about to let me have one. Fortunately I've used Trados before, several years ago so I do know most of what is good to know. I started testing MemoQ after a friend told me about it and said she thought it was far better than Trados.

So far I've tried setting up a project with the wizard and this was easy enough. I created a translation memory and I tried aligning some documents. So far so good. Now, I don't know if it's just one of the limitations of using the demo but I have doubts about some issues that I was hoping someone could help me with:

First: I wanted to see how the auto-propogation function works in MemoQ, but even though I aligned two documents so that MemoQ should be able to give me 100 percent matches, MemoQ does not find a 100 percent match and it doesn't insert anything automatically. This I know that TWB does, and it's one the features I'm missing at the moment where I'm working with a programme called Multitrans.
So my question is: is it because I'm using a demo or doesn't MemoQ have the ability to automatically insert 100 percent matches?

Second: Is it correct that MemoQ doesn't have a separate termbase where you can look up terms and see the terms in a list (like Multiterm or Multitrans)?

Third: When I try exporting the document back to word I get an error message and if I still press export it looks like it exports but nothing really happens. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to solve it?

Other than that I would greatly appreciate your inputs regarding choice of new CAT-tool - what would you recommend - Trados or MemoQ? It is for a small translation agency with 5 full-time translators. Thanks in advance for any help in making this decision.

Regards
Anette
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
It should work Oct 29, 2008

I am not an expert on MemoQ, but the demo should be fully functional for 60 days after registration (you have registered, haven't you?). Have you fed the alignment into the TM?

As far as the termbase is concerned, this is no seperate application in MemoQ, but the terms should show up while translating and lookup is certainly possible.

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
answers from a developer Oct 31, 2008

Dear Anette,

anja98ac wrote:

First: I wanted to see how the auto-propogation function works in MemoQ, but even though I aligned two documents so that MemoQ should be able to give me 100 percent matches, MemoQ does not find a 100 percent match and it doesn't insert anything automatically.

MemoQ does not insert 100% hits automatically when you translate. You can use auto-translation though to insert all 100% hits at any time. This works pretty similar to Trados. Please check that you have attached the translation memory you created to the project and that you are receiving hits in the right hand side of your translation window. If hits are porperly displayed there, you can isert them by pressing CTRL together with the number of the hit, or use CTRL + Up or Down arrow to navigate the list of hits and insert the one you need by pressing Enter.

Auto-propagation is not the same as "auto-insertion". This is one of the things MemoQ has and Trados doesn't. Auto-propagation means that if you have several segments with the exact same source text, and you translate (confirm) the first of them, the rest get filled with the same translation. Auto-propagation has several options, all of which are explained in the help.

Second: Is it correct that MemoQ doesn't have a separate termbase where you can look up terms and see the terms in a list (like Multiterm or Multitrans)?

MemoQ has an integrated termbase, meaning you don't need to install and run a separate application. You can look up terms by pressing CTRL+P, or clicking "Look up Term" from the Translation menu. Terms are highlighted in the source text with a blue background color. You can use CTRL+E to quickly add a term. You can also edit your termbase, attach images to entries, etc. Is there any functionality you miss in the termbase?

Third: When I try exporting the document back to word I get an error message and if I still press export it looks like it exports but nothing really happens. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to solve it?

To answer this question, the exact error message is required. There might be an error in your translation that prevents export, like missing formatting tags.

Other than that I would greatly appreciate your inputs regarding choice of new CAT-tool - what would you recommend - Trados or MemoQ? It is for a small translation agency with 5 full-time translators. Thanks in advance for any help in making this decision.

I can't answer this question impartially, since I am involved in MemoQ development. Please turn to us directly with any questions. I can also recommend the excellent user community on the old mailing list:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ/

Best Regards,
Gergely Vandor

[Edited at 2008-10-31 10:08]

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
two tips that may not be obvious Nov 2, 2008

Hi Anette,

Let me just add two thoughts here that may be relevant. I've seen that when doing the alignment, not everybody realizes that there are two menu commands to click on.

anja98ac wrote:

First: I wanted to see how the auto-propogation function works in MemoQ, but even though I aligned two documents so that MemoQ should be able to give me 100 percent matches, MemoQ does not find a 100 percent match and it doesn't insert anything automatically. This I know that TWB does, and it's one the features I'm missing at the moment where I'm working with a programme called Multitrans.
So my question is: is it because I'm using a demo or doesn't MemoQ have the ability to automatically insert 100 percent matches?

Firstly, once you're done with the alignment, the number of manually confirmed (blue) segments is quite low, because you just fix whatever the program did wrong. Please go to Alignment / Confirm all auto links. This will set every link to confirmed. Only confirmed links go to the TM, so once you're done with this, click Alignment / Export to TM. The contents will be written into the primary TM, and results should be coming.

When exporting the file, I suppose there is some workflow issue with the export path. Try going back to the Project Manager's Translations pane, and click Export (Dialog). This will show you a dialog and you will be able to save it anywhere you want.

I hope this helps.

István

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A question about autopropagation Nov 2, 2008

Gergely Vandor wrote:
Auto-propagation is not the same as "auto-insertion". This is one of the things MemoQ has and Trados doesn't. Auto-propagation means that if you have several segments with the exact same source text, and you translate (confirm) the first of them, the rest get filled with the same translation. Auto-propagation has several options, all of which are explained in the help.

I don't want to read the help. Can you tell me here... is this autopropagation a limitation or a feature? I mean, can autopropagation be selectively enabled, or is it all or nothing (or just all)?

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:05
German to English
+ ...
Testing MemoQ Nov 2, 2008

Samuel: autopropagation is a feature, which is also found in some other CAT tools. It is quite useful in many ways (including assessing how much work is "really" left to do on a job), but the autopropagated content can always be overwritten, so I can't see that one could by any reasonable interpretation be "limited" by it.

In the tests I've done with the product over the course of this year (still not completed unfortunately), I have been very impressed with what I've seen, and if a
... See more
Samuel: autopropagation is a feature, which is also found in some other CAT tools. It is quite useful in many ways (including assessing how much work is "really" left to do on a job), but the autopropagated content can always be overwritten, so I can't see that one could by any reasonable interpretation be "limited" by it.

In the tests I've done with the product over the course of this year (still not completed unfortunately), I have been very impressed with what I've seen, and if asked to recommend this product or Trados, I will unhesitatingly give MemoQ my vote. I personally do not do a lot of active work with it, because my primary interest for comparison of workflow efficiency lies elsewhere, and I need to learn a lot more about the product before I can achieve the level of efficiency I want. I think it is possible, but I simply haven't had the time for a full study.

However, compared to SDL Trados there is no contest, and the compatibility that MemoQ offers with this competitive platform is very nice in most cases. Your effort to train and support translators with this product will be much less, and if you have some who wish to work with Trados for whatever reason, the ability to generate and reintegrate Trados bilingual files will make this a largely painless process. MemoQ is serious software for good productivity which offers excellent value for the price.
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Auto-propagation is fully customizable Nov 2, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
I don't want to read the help. Can you tell me here... is this autopropagation a limitation or a feature? I mean, can autopropagation be selectively enabled, or is it all or nothing (or just all)?

You can turn it on or off. You can set it to propagate only forward or both ways (including segments before the current segment). You can set it to propagate segments with any status, or only segments that you haven't yet marked as confirmed. You can also specify what status MemoQ shall assign to the segments it auto-propagates: confirmed, edited, pre-translated, or unchanged.

Bests,
Gergely

anamaria bulgariu
anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 12:05
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Testing MemoQ Jul 2, 2010

I hope I'm posting this message under the right thread.

OK. Here's my problem. I have been using Trados for some time but I'm looking for an alternative to an upgrade to 2009.

I have a TMX memory (Trados generated) which I imported successfully into MemoQ 4.2.12
However, there are no hits in the memory pane (I'm working on the initial .inx source files). There should be quite a few 100% matches as the project is almost finished.

Am I doing something w
... See more
I hope I'm posting this message under the right thread.

OK. Here's my problem. I have been using Trados for some time but I'm looking for an alternative to an upgrade to 2009.

I have a TMX memory (Trados generated) which I imported successfully into MemoQ 4.2.12
However, there are no hits in the memory pane (I'm working on the initial .inx source files). There should be quite a few 100% matches as the project is almost finished.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,
Ana
Collapse

rmackay
rmackay
Local time: 10:05
TM selected for project? Jul 2, 2010

Hi Ana

You probably will have done this, but is the TM selected under the project?

If you run pre-translate, and change the options to good matches, do the segments appear then?

hope this helps

Dùrachdan - Ruairidh

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Testing MemoQ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »