Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 8, 2010

Hi

First time using MemoQ, and I'm trying to open a Word 2003 file, 270 pages, 3.5 Mb in size. Right now it's 45 minutes, and the progress bar is only 1/3 full. Also, it's already using 250 Mb of RAM and 50% of CPU. The file is just text, no graphics or tables.

Is this normal for MemoQ?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not normal Mar 8, 2010

No, it it not normal at all. I have imported larger Word files regularly and it imports reasonably fast. No file I have imported so far, not even the big ones, takes over a minute to import.

I would try to import smaller Word files to see how long they take to import. If they take longer than 10-15 seconds to import, then there must be some problem in your setup. Personally I would write to Kilgray's support address (you can find it in their website) and ask them what things you can
... See more
No, it it not normal at all. I have imported larger Word files regularly and it imports reasonably fast. No file I have imported so far, not even the big ones, takes over a minute to import.

I would try to import smaller Word files to see how long they take to import. If they take longer than 10-15 seconds to import, then there must be some problem in your setup. Personally I would write to Kilgray's support address (you can find it in their website) and ask them what things you can check in your computer.
Collapse

TSDM
TSDM
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:39
Russian to English
Try importing as a 2007 Word file Mar 8, 2010

Hi Edwal,
Try using the 'Add document as' feature and use the MS Word 2007 filter (import as docx — you can re-save the source file as docx if you like but this shouldn't be necessary).
Hope that helps!

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Imported at the 2nd try Mar 8, 2010

And only after 20 minutes. Definitely something wrong with it.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Text vs binary Mar 9, 2010

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

And only after 20 minutes. Definitely something wrong with it.

Generally, for most CAT tools, the binary formats (as MS Word DOC) are far slower to process than the text ones.
I.e. the DOCX file iz a zip file containing, among others, a text (XML) file which may be parsed directly (MS Word is not invoked) which speed up the processing.
So, if you need more speed, the Office 2007 files are more suitable.

Nevertheless, it seems MQ has a data exchange optimization problem here.

PS.
Can you download a trial version of Wordfast Pro and import the DOC file?

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word file import is slooow....

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »