Projects with multiple source files: is it possible to view all files in one single table?
Thread poster: Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 23:49
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
May 30, 2010

Dear collegues,

I am normally a Déjà Vu user but I am currently testing MemoQ.

Can anybody tell me if it is possible, in MemoQ,
- to show the content of all imported files in a single table (in the MemoQ project file) and
- to export all files into a single table (when using the "Export bilingual" function)?

This would be very convenient in the case of a project with a large number of source files and/or with a great amount of overlap betwee
... See more
Dear collegues,

I am normally a Déjà Vu user but I am currently testing MemoQ.

- to show the content of all imported files in a single table (in the MemoQ project file) and
- to export all files into a single table (when using the "Export bilingual" function)?

This would be very convenient in the case of a project with a large number of source files and/or with a great amount of overlap between the individual files.

I would be curious to know if such a feature (which I like a lot in Déjà Vu) also exists in MemoQ.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Olaf
Collapse

T F F
T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:49
English to Italian
Yes, and it goes further! May 30, 2010

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:
I would be curious to know if such a feature (which I like a lot in Déjà Vu) also exists in MemoQ.

Yes it does, and it actually goes further the really nice feature of "Already Seen"...The only one difference is that you cannot see the track changes when you reimport a document that has been exported and modified...But Kilgray's guys never sleep, and so, who knows?! Things may always change (or at least, it's me hoping this!)

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:
- to show the content of all imported files in a single table (in the MemoQ project file)

Yes you can
From the Translation tab of the Project Home > Select all files you want to "group" (you can also decide which files to include in your selection) > Click on Create View.
Assign a name to the View you're going to create and - if you want - enjoy playing with the various criteria you may find useful to your specific need.
Click OK, and you will have a "new file" grouping all of the segment you have decided to group.

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:
and

Once created the View, you can work on it, or export it in the new Bilingual 2 (or 3) columns RTF, and translate it (or having it translated) directly in the RTF table...But you can export it in the Trados compatible format, and work in Trados Workbench+Macro MS Word (but I suppose you are not interested in working in Trados, are you?.
Obviously you can do this at whatever stage of the translation, I mean before the translation, during it or at the end, to proofread it - let's say, into a printed copy!

Edited because I forgot to say why it "goes further":
You can use MemoQ as a Starting & Final tool interoperating with any other tool you may need...The options are quite unlimited, but just to enumerate some:
  • you can export the view as XLIFF - and feed any XLIFF editor...SDL Studio Included!
  • you can export the view as "MemoQ bilingual document" - and feed any colleague working in MemoQ.
  • you can export the view in Trados-compatible Bilingual Doc - and feed any MS Word based tool
  • you can export the view in two colum RTF - and have any no-CAT equipped colleague working on it
  • ...and, yes, you can obviously work whithin your own copy of MemoQ!
  • If you have a PM addition, as for the Workgroup in DVX, you can create satellite projects
  • If you have the server edition, you can publish the view online, and translate it simultaneously with any other colleagues on MemoQ, or have it proofread while you're still translating it!
    ...In brief, whatever the "bilingual export" you will go for (and therefore the TEnT you prefer to interoperate with), the export can always be reimported, having the original files automatically updated - as if you translated them directly in the MemoQ editor!

[Edited at 2010-05-30 17:06 GMT]

• Olaf Reibedanz
    Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
    Colombia
    Local time: 23:49
    Member (2003)
    English to German
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks, Renato! May 30, 2010

Thanks a lot for the detailed info, Renato! I am really quite impressed. I will keep testing MemoQ

Kind regards,

Olaf

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
    Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Member (2005)
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    And... May 31, 2010

(I have never seen how DejaVu works, so please forgive my ignorance if these are things you can also do with DejaVu).

Indeed the view is just like a file, and you can treat it the same way as a file. For instance:

- You can pretranslate the whole project with the memory. Well, this is something you can also do without having to create a view, of course (just select "Project" as the scope of any of the items of the Operations menu), but sometimes it is clearer to do it i
    ... See more
    (I have never seen how DejaVu works, so please forgive my ignorance if these are things you can also do with DejaVu).

Indeed the view is just like a file, and you can treat it the same way as a file. For instance:

- You can pretranslate the whole project with the memory. Well, this is something you can also do without having to create a view, of course (just select "Project" as the scope of any of the items of the Operations menu), but sometimes it is clearer to do it in the view.

- You can sort all the segments by many criteria. In my case, the main two uses are:
    A) when all the files in a project contain similar items that don't get translated (i.e. you need to copy the source to the target), you can sort by the source, select all rows you need to copy to the source (it does not matter to what file they correspond) and copy the source to the target in one go.

B) When a file has heavy CAT use and only a few segments change, review of the new segments is done after sorting the whole grid by match rate. This way you only go through the actual context at translation time.

In any sense, whatever you can do with a file in MemoQ, you can do to a view as well. When you delete the view, all your little segments will be in their source files. You don't need to do anything. It happens automatically.

BTW: Views also allow you to split a big individual file among several people, by selecting what range of segments of the file go to each view.

I have been using MemoQ since September last year and now I would not replace it with anything! I love it!

[Edited at 2010-05-31 03:55 GMT]
    Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
    Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
    Poland
    Member (2004)
    English to Polish
    SITE LOCALIZER
    Lockout May 31, 2010

The only disadvantage as compared to DejaVu is that the view becomes "locked", i.e. you cannot edit a single file and a view in parallel. I did not work with DVX too long, but I still remember that it was useful, especially at the review stage.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Projects with multiple source files: is it possible to view all files in one single table?

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »