Hakan Kiyici
Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:53
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
my experience with MemoQ Apr 6, 2011

I had used MemoQ 3.x as trial. Actually, I started using CAT with MemoQ. Then, at the very early stage, seeing mostly Trados as requirement in the translation ads, I purchased it.

I must admit their support was great. They actually try their best to help. And, best of all you don't have to buy a support package like in Trados. With Trados, you have find your way from proz forum and google search.

Today, I have learned that one of my client has installed MemoQ and I will
... See more
I had used MemoQ 3.x as trial. Actually, I started using CAT with MemoQ. Then, at the very early stage, seeing mostly Trados as requirement in the translation ads, I purchased it.

I must admit their support was great. They actually try their best to help. And, best of all you don't have to buy a support package like in Trados. With Trados, you have find your way from proz forum and google search.

Today, I have learned that one of my client has installed MemoQ and I will have to use it I guess. I have been trying to adapt to it for the past couple of hours. It hurts.

I will enlist what Memo does not have, could have. I don't expect it to be exactly like Trados. But, efficiency would have been to have.

- It does not correctly compare the source with TM match. For example, it missed out the one of the changes in the source. The word "or" was not highlighted in the comparison
- Concordance is not efficient. When I do search, it does not show the source and result in one row. I have to browse/hover on the results to see the target result/meaning
- Concordance is not efficient because it pops up in every query. It cannot be embedded in the layout to all at one glance.
- So far, I could not locate the equivalent of autosuggest feature.
- Not filtering feature for only fuzzies or only nomatches. I have to sort them ascending etc
- Tool bar cannot be customized.
- Small figure of 140EURO is misleading, as it is only annual fee. I had actually intended to buy after seeing this price.Lifetime package is as expensive as Trados. Around 600EURO

Unless it is a necessity and earnings offset the cost, I am not sure if it is worth it.

There will be probably more.

Hakan
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you sure you are using it correctly? Apr 7, 2011

Hakan Kiyici wrote:
- It does not correctly compare the source with TM match. For example, it missed out the one of the changes in the source. The word "or" was not highlighted in the comparison
- Concordance is not efficient. When I do search, it does not show the source and result in one row. I have to browse/hover on the results to see the target result/meaning
- Concordance is not efficient because it pops up in every query. It cannot be embedded in the layout to all at one glance.
- Not filtering feature for only fuzzies or only nomatches. I have to sort them ascending etc
- Small figure of 140EURO is misleading, as it is only annual fee. I had actually intended to buy after seeing this price.Lifetime package is as expensive as Trados. Around 600EURO

Can you tell us what exact version are you using? I think you could be wrong in some things, but first I want to check what version you have.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:53
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Price and features Apr 7, 2011

Hakan Kiyici wrote:

Most Trados users I know upgrade to a new version every four years or so. That's about $900 every four years. Four years of annual fees for memoQ come to significantly less than that.

My only complaints about memoQ as compared to Trados are:

1) Concordance searches in memoQ distinguish strictly between accented and unaccented letters. Given the recent spelling reforms in Spanish, it would be helpful to me if searches for "guion" also matched "guión" (for example) so I don't need to do each search twice if the word or phrase includes new accentuation. The fuzzy matching in Trados's concordance function is more useful to me overall.

2) The new custom fields in memoQ are wonderful, but the way the screens are laid out, you can't use that feature if you're running the program on a netbook computer (with a 1200x600 screen). Trados is far more netbook-friendly than memoQ.

But aside from these two problems, I prefer memoQ to Trados.

[Edited at 2011-04-07 06:21 GMT]

Hakan Kiyici
Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:53
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
mostly sure of it Apr 7, 2011

Thank you for the reply.

I have just downloaded the latest version and used. It should be 4.5

Apart from filtering (recently found the location), I am sure of all other points. Especially, not having the flexibility of locating Translation Results, Editor and other windows.

And, somehow, I can connect to the server, work on the file but Concordance does not work in XP, giving timeout error. But it works in Windows 7. I have checked for port settings in the
... See more
Thank you for the reply.

I have just downloaded the latest version and used. It should be 4.5

Apart from filtering (recently found the location), I am sure of all other points. Especially, not having the flexibility of locating Translation Results, Editor and other windows.

And, somehow, I can connect to the server, work on the file but Concordance does not work in XP, giving timeout error. But it works in Windows 7. I have checked for port settings in the help file to see if I can do something on the firewall. But there was none.

I am actually desperate for Autosuggest feature, if there is one.

Thank you
Hakan Kiyici

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Hakan Kiyici wrote:

Can you tell us what exact version are you using? I think you could be wrong in some things, but first I want to check what version you have.
[quote]Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two cents Apr 7, 2011

Hakan Kiyici wrote:

You however have different layouts you can try. Press F11 to cycle through them and see if any of them serves you. You can more the Preview window to another monitor.

Hakan Kiyici wrote:
And, somehow, I can connect to the server, work on the file but Concordance does not work in XP, giving timeout error. But it works in Windows 7. I have checked for port settings in the help file to see if I can do something on the firewall. But there was none.

Have you tried to temporarily disable the Firewall and your antivirus? Does that help in finding the cause?

Hakan Kiyici wrote:
I am actually desperate for Autosuggest feature, if there is one.

I think that with time you will find that the Autosuggest feature did not help you as much as adding terms to your own termbase for the project. I think that even in server-based projects you can create your own local termbase and assign it to the project temporarily. By adding the terms along the line, you will greatly improve the autoassembled segments, and you will save a lot of time by simply pressing Ctrl+term number or double-clicking on it in the translation results pane.

I never missed the Autosuggest feature to be honest...

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Perhaps a little OT Apr 7, 2011

Steven Capsuto wrote:
Most Trados users I know upgrade to a new version every four years or so. That's about $900 every four years. Four years of annual fees for memoQ come to significantly less than that.

This is not very accurate, Steven. First, service packs and updates are free.

Second, an upgrade never costs the same as new purchase. This will only be the case if you want to "upgrade" e.g. from Trados 7 to Studio 2009, but not from Trados 2007 (i.e. builds 8.xxx) to Studio 2009.

Third, you can purchase a PSMA, which makes you eligible for free upgrades to new versions.

Just to make clear...

Anyways, MemoQ is indeed an excellent product and for me it is the second right after Trados Studio.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
German to English
+ ...
Easy to learn for WF Pro users? Apr 7, 2011

Anyone else here also use WF Pro? I recently switched to Pro from Classic and am starting to get over the learning curve. However, I'm also thinking of adding another tool (at least right now, not Trados - everyone I know personally who works with it seems to be unsatisfied). However, my second tool needs to work well w/ Trados, since I do mostly deal with clients who use Trados, but don't care what I work in as long as I can deliver something compatible. Might MemoQ be a good fit? Are most of t... See more
Anyone else here also use WF Pro? I recently switched to Pro from Classic and am starting to get over the learning curve. However, I'm also thinking of adding another tool (at least right now, not Trados - everyone I know personally who works with it seems to be unsatisfied). However, my second tool needs to work well w/ Trados, since I do mostly deal with clients who use Trados, but don't care what I work in as long as I can deliver something compatible. Might MemoQ be a good fit? Are most of the concepts the same as other CAT tools, i.e., not too difficult to learn for a WF diehard? LiveDocs sounds very intriguing to me.Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:53
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pricing May 5, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Steven Capsuto wrote:

This is not very accurate, Steven. First, service packs and updates are free.

Second, an upgrade never costs the same as new purchase. This will only be the case if you want to "upgrade" e.g. from Trados 7 to Studio 2009, but not from Trados 2007 (i.e. builds 8.xxx) to Studio 2009

Most Trados users I know don't get every major release but rather every other one. That's why I said "every four years or so." So they are, indeed, paying full price or something close to it. Four years of memoQ is cheaper.

[Edited at 2011-05-05 14:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking quick opinions on MemoQ

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »