Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 01:49
English to Chinese
Jan 24, 2012

Dear MemoQ users,

You may have been aware of this feature all along, but I just found out today that I can actually drag and drop text (including tags) from the source side to the target side, and I can even move the cropped text to a different target segment location! How convenient this feature is. I don't know when this feature was introduced in MemoQ. I suspect that it is fairly new, as until recently I was still using a few key combinations in several steps to achieve this.
... See more
Dear MemoQ users,

You may have been aware of this feature all along, but I just found out today that I can actually drag and drop text (including tags) from the source side to the target side, and I can even move the cropped text to a different target segment location! How convenient this feature is. I don't know when this feature was introduced in MemoQ. I suspect that it is fairly new, as until recently I was still using a few key combinations in several steps to achieve this. Now I can simply highlight any portion of the source text and move it to the target side. I am really excited about this feature, be it new or old (for me it's new:), and I would like to share it with those of you who are not aware of it yet.
MemoQ, in my opinion, is full of treasures.

Chun-yi

[Edited at 2012-01-24 07:00 GMT]
Collapse

Kelly Venz
Kelly Venz  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:49
Member (2010)
French to English
Fantastic! Jan 24, 2012

Thanks for pointing this out Chun-yi! Will keep it in mind next time I have a text full of tags!

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:49
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Alternative, keyboard-only method Jan 24, 2012

Hello Chun-yi. Here's what I do, which doesn't require to lift your hands off the keyboard to grab the mouse:

Situation

You're typing your translation into a target cell and want to copy something over from the source cell.

Steps

1. Hit the Tab key on your keyboard.

2. Move to the start of the one-/multi-word expression you want to copy over (to move faster, you can hit Ctrl+Right arrow on... See more
Hello Chun-yi. Here's what I do, which doesn't require to lift your hands off the keyboard to grab the mouse:

Situation

You're typing your translation into a target cell and want to copy something over from the source cell.

Steps

2. Move to the start of the one-/multi-word expression you want to copy over (to move faster, you can hit Ctrl+Right arrow on your keyboard, so that you move one word at a time, not one letter at a time)

3. Hit Ctrl+Shift and, with them still pressed, hit the Right arrow until you make your selection

4. Hit Ctrl+Shift+T to copy your selection over to the target cell

It may sound a little complex at first, but once you do it a few times it becomes automatic and I think you will like the fact that you won't have to reach for the mouse any more.

[Edited at 2012-01-24 10:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-01-25 10:01 GMT]
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the alternative, but I like the mouse way better:) Jan 24, 2012

Hi Epameinondas,

I tried the alternative you suggested, and after trying I think I like the mouse way better because it is more straight forward. I don't mind letting my right hand leave the cozy keyboard and get some fresh air from time to time:)
One last note: upon trying, it seems I didn't need Step 5. When I press Ctrl+Shift+T, it automatically brings me to the target side right after the copied text.
Thank you again for sharing your alternative. I am sure this wo
... See more
Hi Epameinondas,

I tried the alternative you suggested, and after trying I think I like the mouse way better because it is more straight forward. I don't mind letting my right hand leave the cozy keyboard and get some fresh air from time to time:)
One last note: upon trying, it seems I didn't need Step 5. When I press Ctrl+Shift+T, it automatically brings me to the target side right after the copied text.
Thank you again for sharing your alternative. I am sure this would work better for some other translators. And I also learned something about using Tab, which I did not know.

Chun-yi

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Situation

Steps

2. Move to the start of the one-/multi-word expression you want to copy over (to move faster, you can hit Ctrl+Right arrow on your keyboard, so that you move one word at a time, not one letter at a time)

3. Hit Ctrl+Shift and, with them still pressed, hit the Right arrow until you make your selection

4. Hit Ctrl+Shift+T to copy your selection over to the target cell

5. Hit Tab to return to the target cell and resume your job

It may sound a little complex at first, but once you do it a few times it becomes automatic and I think you will like the fact that you won't have to reach for the mouse any more.

[Edited at 2012-01-24 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Cool Jan 24, 2012

I have never tried it before, but it does sound great. Thank you for sharing!

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
I am not sure if it works for previous builds of MemoQ Jan 24, 2012

Hi Cedomir,

Like I said, I discovered this drag and drop thing yesterday, so I don't know whether this feature has already been there in MemoQ previously or it's recently added in the newer (or newest) build. In my original title, I said it's a new feature in "5.0.58", but I removed that version information later as I wasn't sure about it.
Isn't it nice to have the text move freely from the Source to the Target side?

Chun-yi

[Edited at 2012-01-24 17:09
... See more
Hi Cedomir,

Like I said, I discovered this drag and drop thing yesterday, so I don't know whether this feature has already been there in MemoQ previously or it's recently added in the newer (or newest) build. In my original title, I said it's a new feature in "5.0.58", but I removed that version information later as I wasn't sure about it.
Isn't it nice to have the text move freely from the Source to the Target side?

Chun-yi

[Edited at 2012-01-24 17:09 GMT]
Collapse

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
Thank you Epameinondas Feb 8, 2012

Your trick will save me a lot of copying and pasting. (I too like to stay on the keyboard.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Drag and Drop feature in MemoQ, what a nice surprise

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »