Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:57
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2012

Hi,

For the first time I'm trying to use memoQ (or any CAT) to translate an XML file. When trying to import the file, I get an error message saying the file needs custom import settings.

Before I try to hunt down the developers who created the file it would be good to know what, if anything, I should ask them for. As I'm one of few in the company who uses a CAT, I have a feeling they might not know anything about the issue.

This is the header of the file if
... See more
Hi,

For the first time I'm trying to use memoQ (or any CAT) to translate an XML file. When trying to import the file, I get an error message saying the file needs custom import settings.

Before I try to hunt down the developers who created the file it would be good to know what, if anything, I should ask them for. As I'm one of few in the company who uses a CAT, I have a feeling they might not know anything about the issue.

This is the header of the file if that is of any help:

Thanks,
Madeleine
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try to standardise the XML definitions Jul 17, 2012

I am terribly busy today, but just a quick couple of hints:

- When you choose to configure the settings for the XML import, you have a tab which contains a button called "Populate". This scans the XML file for the different types of items. There you can decide which are translatable and which not. Please notice that if you mark a tag as non-translatable, any tags contained within the tag are made also not-translatable. This means that tags containing any other translatable tags shou
... See more
I am terribly busy today, but just a quick couple of hints:

- When you choose to configure the settings for the XML import, you have a tab which contains a button called "Populate". This scans the XML file for the different types of items. There you can decide which are translatable and which not. Please notice that if you mark a tag as non-translatable, any tags contained within the tag are made also not-translatable. This means that tags containing any other translatable tags should be defined as translatable too.

- Try to standardise on the import of XML files. If you have different types of XML files, try to group them together and import them in one go, just to save time when choosing the import settings. Once you have defined translatable/non-translatable settings as summarised above, use the Save function and save these settings with a name that will be easy to remember and associate to the correct files. After that, you can import XML files of that type using the saved import settings, thus avoiding the work of redefining everything from scratch.

If you need help deciding what tags should be defined as translatable and which not, please do not hesitate to email me via Proz.com and send me one XML file. I could perhaps make a PDF of it and mark what looks transtable, as well as make a screen capture of how I would define the settings.

I hope this helps a bit anyway!

[Edited at 2012-07-17 08:04 GMT]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
View the source Jul 17, 2012

I don't think there are any out of the box config files for this type of XML in MemoQ, so first it will help if you view the file(s) in a text editor (preferably one that can highlight xml tags) or in a web browser to get an idea where the translatable text sits. Make a note of these tags and then proceed as Tomas said.

HTH

Piotr

[Edited at 2012-07-17 09:50 GMT]

Gail Bond
Gail Bond  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Not that brainy... Jul 17, 2012

Tomàs and Piotr's replies are way over my head, but I do know that if you do 'add document as' rather than just 'add document' you no longer get this error message. Not sure if this is too simplistic... but it might just help!

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Tomás Jul 17, 2012

I didn't have time to import and translate the file to day, but did a small test with one of the tags and that worked.

Once I'd selected a tag in the list created when I clicked on Publish, I could see three attributes in the field at the bottom. I then selected the one called "message" or similar and marked that one as translatable before importing. That worked, but it looks like I will have to select each element and do the same. (Sorry if my terminology is a bit iffy, too tired
... See more
I didn't have time to import and translate the file to day, but did a small test with one of the tags and that worked.

Once I'd selected a tag in the list created when I clicked on Publish, I could see three attributes in the field at the bottom. I then selected the one called "message" or similar and marked that one as translatable before importing. That worked, but it looks like I will have to select each element and do the same. (Sorry if my terminology is a bit iffy, too tired to log in to my in-house PC or my own Windows partition where I have memoQ.)

I'm not sure if I'll get XMLs with the same tags again, thankfully they are not too frequent in my in-house job, but will save the settings anyway.

Piotr - I did open the file in Programmers' Notepad to check the layout. For some reason I was unable to do so in Dreamweaver. It was very useful so that I could see how the tags were structured.

Gail - I did start by using "Add document as...", but still got the error message. I guess that might be because our in-house developers use non-standard tags.

Thanks all for your help.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A detailed definition is normally needed Jul 17, 2012

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
Once I'd selected a tag in the list created when I clicked on Publish, I could see three attributes in the field at the bottom. I then selected the one called "message" or similar and marked that one as translatable before importing. That worked, but it looks like I will have to select each element and do the same. (Sorry if my terminology is a bit iffy, too tired to log in to my in-house PC or my own Windows partition where I have memoQ.)

Indeed, if atribute values inside of your tags (and not only delimited by the opening/closing version of the tags) are also translatable (normally not all of them are), you have to say so in the box at the bottom.

It is always interesting to save the definition as a starting point for future similar XML files. You can recall the settings, refresh the tag list to add the new ones, and save again (or under a different name just in case...).

Good luck with it!

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More useful advice Jul 17, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

It is always interesting to save the definition as a starting point for future similar XML files. You can recall the settings, refresh the tag list to add the new ones, and save again (or under a different name just in case...).

I didn't know you could refresh the tag list, very useful to do rather than start from scratch.

It's taken a few zillion years of requests to get memoQ, or any kind of CAT, installed on my in-house PC (I've had it on my private computer for a few years, but don't do too much freelance work at the moment). Now I can hopefully learn how to use its more advanced functions.

I will stop commenting in this thread for tonight, it's "in-house work" so I'm off to read that gigantic and hilarious thread about native languages.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back in my in-house job again.... Jul 18, 2012

Having access to memoQ, I notice that the "Handled tags" that are created when clicking Populate are indeed the actually tags and I then get the attributes in the field called "Tag attributes".

For example:

Less than

account
jcr:primaryType="sling:MessageEntry"
sling:key="forms.account"
sling:message="Account number"

Greater than

Less than

address<
... See more
Having access to memoQ, I notice that the "Handled tags" that are created when clicking Populate are indeed the actually tags and I then get the attributes in the field called "Tag attributes".

For example:

Less than

account
sling:key="forms.account"
sling:message="Account number"

Greater than

Less than

address
sling:key="forms.address"
sling:message="Address"

Greater than

What I would love to have is some way of creating a rule/filter that only attributes "sling:message" are to be translated. I tried, for the first tag, ticking as "Translatable" and then "Context for tag's children and following siblings" in "Context". No luck.

I'll see if I have time to play around a bit more later today and if I find a solution I will post it here.

PS. You will have to imaging the less than/greater than at the begging and end of each tag.Edited at 2012-07-18 09:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-18 09:33 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to XML using memoQ

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »