Thread poster: TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
Local time: 11:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 24, 2012

On the whole I like memoQ, I use it for practically all my work. However, I'm getting increasingly impatient with the developers for not getting some basic functionality right. In general, the support team is fast and helpful, but they haven't been able to help me with these issues:

- This quirk.
- After I change the selection of the box "Automatic
... See more
On the whole I like memoQ, I use it for practically all my work. However, I'm getting increasingly impatient with the developers for not getting some basic functionality right. In general, the support team is fast and helpful, but they haven't been able to help me with these issues:

- This quirk.
- After I change the selection of the box "Automatically jump after confirmation" (that is, select or unselect the option), memoQ does exactly that: it jumps to another segment, before I confirm anything. Many updates later I'm starting to wonder if this behavior is known to the developpers at all, or if I'm the only one who experiences this issue.
- The search window drives me crazy. When the search window does not have the focus and I move the mouse over the little x in the upper right corner, the x becomes red. That makes me think I can close the window by clicking the x. But I have to click twice: once to give the search window the focus and once more to close it. It's also very annoying that I can't give the search window the focus by pressing Ctrl+f, I have to click on it. Also, when clicking back and forth between the search window and my translation, for some reason every mouse click seems to select segments. It also frequently happens that random text is pasted where I click and later on I discover gibberish in my translation.
- "Automatically insert best result after confirming segments" works sometimes but usually it doesn't. I have to overwrite existing segments manually with TM matches, even if they are 101%. "Automatically proceed to process further segments" has never worked.
- If the source segment contains a tab, this shows up as a memoQ tag and you can't remove it, nor can you leave it out in the translation.
- This one I haven't brought up to the attention of Kilgray, but I think it would be nice to see if a translated segment matches the first TM match. In Trados 2007 the segment is green in these cases, if not it's yellow.

[Edited at 2012-07-24 13:02 GMT]
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:01
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Some notes... Jul 26, 2012

TvNellen wrote:
- After I change the selection of the box "Automatically jump after confirmation" (that is, select or unselect the option), memoQ does exactly that: it jumps to another segment, before I confirm anything. Many updates later I'm starting to wonder if this behavior is known to the developpers at all, or if I'm the only one who experiences this issue.

There are two buttons in the window - "OK" and "Remember". If you click OK, it jumps, if Remember, it just saves the setting. I know, it is not really standard Windows behavior, but it works.

- The search window drives me crazy. When the search window does not have the focus and I move the mouse over the little x in the upper right corner, the x becomes red. That makes me think I can close the window by clicking the x. But I have to click twice: once to give the search window the focus and once more to close it.

Strange, I can only click once... What system do you use?

It's also very annoying that I can't give the search window the focus by pressing Ctrl+f, I have to click on it. Also, when clicking back and forth between the search window and my translation, for some reason every mouse click seems to select segments. It also frequently happens that random text is pasted where I click and later on I discover gibberish in my translation.

Here it does not select segments, I can edit the text directly after one click. Focus with Ctrl-f would be nice, that's true. By the way, I rarely use the search box - filtering is much faster and efficient...

- "Automatically insert best result after confirming segments" works sometimes but usually it doesn't. I have to overwrite existing segments manually with TM matches, even if they are 101%. "Automatically proceed to process further segments" has never worked.

The first one works only on empty (grey) or propagated (but not confirmed) segments. In fact, it would be very annoying if manually edited segments (orange) were overwritten with TM hits each time they were selected... If I have a section with edited segments which I need to overwrite (e.g. copied source from a bilingual document) I either clear the segments or pretranslate them.

The second one worked for me, but I use it rather rarely. Maybe your pretranslate/goto settings prevent this.

- If the source segment contains a tab, this shows up as a memoQ tag and you can't remove it, nor can you leave it out in the translation.

This depends on the import format, as sometimes it is not possible to remove those. In docx you can remove them without problems.

- This one I haven't brought up to the attention of Kilgray, but I think it would be nice to see if a translated segment matches the first TM match. In Trados 2007 the segment is green in these cases, if not it's yellow.

You can look at the TM info at the bottom. Still, I agree that more direct visual clue would be useful.

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Jabberwock wrote:

TvNellen wrote:

There are two buttons in the window - "OK" and "Remember". If you click OK, it jumps, if Remember, it just saves the setting. I know, it is not really standard Windows behavior, but it works.

And all this time I thought it was a bug...

- The search window drives me crazy. When the search window does not have the focus and I move the mouse over the little x in the upper right corner, the x becomes red. That makes me think I can close the window by clicking the x. But I have to click twice: once to give the search window the focus and once more to close it.

Strange, I can only click once... What system do you use?

I seem to be the only person experiencing this. I use Windows 7 on a 64 bit system, but even on my old computer (XP, 32 bit) I had the same problem.

It's also very annoying that I can't give the search window the focus by pressing Ctrl+f, I have to click on it. Also, when clicking back and forth between the search window and my translation, for some reason every mouse click seems to select segments. It also frequently happens that random text is pasted where I click and later on I discover gibberish in my translation.

Here it does not select segments, I can edit the text directly after one click. Focus with Ctrl-f would be nice, that's true. By the way, I rarely use the search box - filtering is much faster and efficient...

I use the search box all the time. I'll look into filtering.

The first one works only on empty (grey) or propagated (but not confirmed) segments. In fact, it would be very annoying if manually edited segments (orange) were overwritten with TM hits each time they were selected... If I have a section with edited segments which I need to overwrite (e.g. copied source from a bilingual document) I either clear the segments or pretranslate them.

It would be nice to have the option to overwrite edited segments.

The second one worked for me, but I use it rather rarely. Maybe your pretranslate/goto settings prevent this.

I don't think so, I have no idea why it doesnt work.

This depends on the import format, as sometimes it is not possible to remove those. In docx you can remove them without problems.

Too bad I rarely translate docx.

You can look at the TM info at the bottom. Still, I agree that more direct visual clue would be useful.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if auto-insert worked...

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
My wishes Jul 26, 2012

Dear TvNellen

Let me add two points to your memoQ wish list:

1, FULL integration of MS Word spelling module.
I mean, why on earth do you need to create a another exclusion list if you have got one in MS Word and memoQ uses Words' spelling module anyway?

2, Better display for termbase entries.
It would be pretty useful to see the source of term entry at a glance. When you open a segment you see all the terms, but you need to click on the given
... See more
Dear TvNellen

Let me add two points to your memoQ wish list:

1, FULL integration of MS Word spelling module.
I mean, why on earth do you need to create a another exclusion list if you have got one in MS Word and memoQ uses Words' spelling module anyway?

It would be pretty useful to see the source of term entry at a glance. When you open a segment you see all the terms, but you need to click on the given term to see the source glossary. When you work with more than one termbases that have a specific priority (e.g. client's glossary (high priority, must be followed) + your own materials (useful stuff)), it is quite time consuming to click the terms one by one. For me, terminology windows of Trados is much more informative.

Cheers,
Gyula

[Módosítva: 2012-07-26 11:31 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disagree Jul 26, 2012

Gyula Erdész wrote:
It would be pretty useful to see the source of term entry at a glance. When you open a segment you see all the terms, but you need to click on the given term to see the source glossary. When you work with more than one termbases that have a specific priority (e.g. client's glossary (high priority, must be followed) + your own materials (useful stuff)), it is quite time consuming to click the terms one by one. For me, terminology windows of Trados is much more informative.

Although I see where you are coming from, I do not quite agree that we need such amount of information on each item. I like the amount of actual translation space I have in memoQ, whereas Studio's Multiterm window takes up a lot of space, and more if you want to add/edit terms.

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How about a "dislpay more" option for terms? Jul 26, 2012

There is no accounting for taste, Tomás. It does not need to be hardcoded into memoQ: an option like "display more" would do.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Jul 26, 2012

Gyula Erdész wrote:
There is no accounting for taste, Tomás. It does not need to be hardcoded into memoQ: an option like "display more" would do.

Makes perfect sense to me! Good idea.

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jul 26, 2012

Thanks to Gyula and Tomás as well. I like Gyula's idea, but more in particular for TM matches. I would like to be able to see immediately if a translation is mine or someone else's.

Update on auto-propagation not working: it works when I create a view. Very strange.

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update 2 Jul 26, 2012

TvNellen wrote:
Update on auto-propagation not working: it works when I create a view.

Except when I apply a text filter...

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Auto... what? Jul 26, 2012

TvNellen wrote:

TvNellen wrote:
Update on auto-propagation not working: it works when I create a view.

I am a bit confused now... Is it autoinsert that does not work for you? Or is it autopropagation? Or both?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Jul 26, 2012

Jabberwock wrote:

TvNellen wrote:

TvNellen wrote:
Update on auto-propagation not working: it works when I
create a view.

I am a bit confused now... Is it autoinsert that does not
work for you? Or is it autopropagation? Or both?

You're right, I haven't been very clear. Either would solve
the problem, I guess. I just want memoQ to automatically
insert and ideally confirm repetitions. Auto-propagation
offers the option to overwrite confirmed segments, so that
is ideal for me, when it works. When it doesn't, I would
like 100% or 101% hits to be inserted as I translate, but
this doesn't always work either.

Thanks again for suggesting filters, I have become an ardent
user.

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
plus one wish Jul 27, 2012

When you try to register a term that has already been added to the termbase, a popup window with

"The selected term already exists in the active termbase"

warning would be extremely useful and could spare you a lot of duplications.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:01
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
improved data management Jul 27, 2012

And while we're at it, how about a way to remove duplicates from the TB?

Basically, the TB and TM editor really need to be improved!

Michael

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update 3 Jul 27, 2012

Today I installed version 6.0.12 and auto-propagation still doesn't always work. This is exactly what annoys me: the developers are constantly adding new functionality, while the basics still don't work flawlessly. Although I must admit that I really like predictive typing and the preview for ttx files.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My wish list for memoQ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »