How to send the whole file to TM
Thread poster: pjg111
pjg111
pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:54
English to French
Jul 27, 2012

Hi,

I was just wondering how to send the whole current file to the active TM. I have a small TTX I directly edited using TagEditor and I would like to update my main MemoQ TM with its contents. Of course I can validate any of the four segments manually but I was wondering whether it would be possible to update the TM at once.

Many thanks in advance for any answer.

Cheers.

PG

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple! Jul 27, 2012

Select all segments (Edit - Select All, or its corresponding keyboard shortcut), and then do a Confirm operation (Translation - Confirm, or its shortcut). This sends all segments to the TM in one go. Takes a second... or two with very large files...

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
Finnish to French
Ctrl+Shift+A Jul 27, 2012

pjg111 wrote:
I was just wondering how to send the whole current file to the active TM. I have a small TTX I directly edited using TagEditor and I would like to update my main MemoQ TM with its contents. Of course I can validate any of the four segments manually but I was wondering whether it would be possible to update the TM at once.

Simply use Ctrl+Shift+A to select all rows: you can then confirm all of them in one go with Ctrl+Enter.
Tomás was faster than me by one minute

[Edited at 2012-07-27 10:34 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yep... Jul 27, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Tomás was faster than me by one minute

Indeed!

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
All segments or Filtered segments? Jul 27, 2012

Thanks Tomás and Dominique.

By the way does Select all command apply to actually displayed segments (in case of a filter being applied, for instance) or all the segments in the file?

Many thanks in advance for your answer.

Cheers.

PG

[Edited at 2012-07-27 10:43 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The ones you see on your list Jul 27, 2012

pjg111 wrote:
By the way does Select all command apply to actually displayed segments (in case of a filter being applied, for instance) or all the segments in the file?

Any operation you do with all segments selected applies only to those segments you currently see in your list. If they are a filtered subset of segments, then only to the filtered segments.

[Edited at 2012-07-27 10:51 GMT]

Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
English to Spanish
+ ...
Updating TM Jul 27, 2012

But, let's imagine some of those segments exist already in the TM. Will the new ones replace them?
I'm particularly interested in this, because I use to revise in the exported bilingual file and then I want to implement the changes in my TM.

Thanks!!

JC

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends Jul 27, 2012

Juancar wrote:
But, let's imagine some of those segments exist already in the TM. Will the new ones replace them?
I'm particularly interested in this, because I use to revise in the exported bilingual file and then I want to implement the changes in my TM.

This is a very good question. The following only corresponds to my personal experience, and maybe Kilgray want to comment on it and correct me if I am wrong.

Basically you have to remember that memoQ takes context into account and creates context IDs (internally; you do not see them at all, but they exist) for each new file you add to memoQ. This means that your TM will end up containing one translation for each time you confirm a segment in a new file. If you translate 20 different files that contain the same source segment and you translate each segment in a different way in each file, you will have 20 different translations in the TM. In this case, memoQ will mark your segment with an asterisk to show that there are several translations in the TM, and the Translation results will show many different translations.

If you translate the same segment the same way in 20 separate files, your TM will contain 20 times the same translation, even if it is not immediately apparent because the Translation results only show one translation (the most recent one, I think). This is because, for each segment, memoQ has different context information given that it was for 20 different files.

Now, in a review situation, what you are asking depends on whether

- A) you consider the reviewed file as a new file you load into memoQ (which means that memoQ considers that file to be a NEW file with its own context information and will NOT smash the old segment from the pre-review file), or

- B) you export a memoQ bilingual file (the two-column RTF file, basically) of your translated file, review that file outside of memoQ, and then update your file in memoQ with the reviewed document (which means that you still have the same file with unchanged context information, and are NOT creating new segments, but only updating the existing ones in an existing file).

As a summary: If you go for option A above (which is not a good idea), confirming the reviewed segments will create more segments and leave the unreviewed file in the TM; if you go for option B (the one that makes more sense), then your segments are properly updated in the TM and you do not get additional copies of them.

[Edited at 2012-07-27 16:56 GMT]

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
What about TMX exports? Jul 27, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Juancar wrote:

This is a very good question. The following only corresponds to my personal experience, and maybe Kilgray want to comment on it and correct me if I am wrong.

Basically you have to remember that memoQ takes context into account and creates context IDs (internally; you do not see them at all, but they exist) for each new file you add to memoQ. This means that your TM will end up containing one translation for each time you confirm a segment in a new file. If you translate 20 different files that contain the same source segment and you translate each segment in a different way in each file, you will have 20 different translations in the TM. In this case, memoQ will mark your segment with an asterisk to show that there are several translations in the TM, and the Translation results will show many different translations.

If you translate the same segment the same way in 20 separate files, your TM will contain 20 times the same translation, even if it is not immediately apparent because the Translation results only show one translation (the most recent one, I think). This is because, for each segment, memoQ has different context information given that it was for 20 different files.

Edited at 2012-07-27 15:19 GMT] [/quote]

Very interesting info. Thanks Juancar and Tomás.

Now a basic question: If I export my MemoQ TM to a tmx file, won't I get bigger files with as much context info that updated in MemoQ and will other CAT tools be able to handle such amount of info?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't know... Jul 27, 2012

pjg111 wrote:
Now a basic question: If I export my MemoQ TM to a tmx file, won't I get bigger files with as much context info that updated in MemoQ and will other CAT tools be able to handle such amount of info?

Hm... That's a good one too. Honestly I have never tried to experiment with such information, and I do not really know how much context information is ported by a TMX file. I think this is one you will have to ask Kilgray via their support email.

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
English to Russian
TMX is a kind of standard Jul 28, 2012

and it does not support MemoQ context. So you get just an ordinary TMX file.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
context info preserved when exporting to TMX in memoQ Jul 28, 2012

Enote wrote:
and it does not support MemoQ context. So you get just an ordinary TMX file.

No: a TMX exported from memoQ keeps the context information, so when/if you import it back, you don't lose that information. See the following video:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2011/12/16/101-percent-matches-explained-with-memoq-and-olifant/

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Bigger files, context not lost Jul 28, 2012

pjg111 wrote:
If I export my MemoQ TM to a tmx file, won't I get bigger files with as much context info that updated in MemoQ and will other CAT tools be able to handle such amount of info?

Yes, a TMX created by memoQ will be bigger (but who cares, disk space is plentiful these days). And no, AFAIK other tools won't be able to take advantage of the context information stored by memoQ. In other words, the main purpose (from memoQ's point of view) of storing that extra info in the TMX is to allow for a lossless roundtrip.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to send the whole file to TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »