Low-tech way to get rid of unneeded tags in DOCX in memoQ
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
Finnish to French
Sep 19, 2012

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/09/20/low-tech-way-to-get-rid-of-unneeded-tags-in-docx-in-memoq/
or
http://youtu.be/gukwyUOxqpw?hd=1

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried... Sep 20, 2012

The second video shows a method that can be OK for very small documents, but is far from being practical for very large documents.

These RPR tags mostly appear when the DOC file has had a very poor DTP, i.e. use of fonts and sizes on each individual paragraph instead of simply creating styles, which is the preferred practice.

If the document as a whole has one single font, you will often see that selecting the whole document and applying it the font again (without destr
... See more
The second video shows a method that can be OK for very small documents, but is far from being practical for very large documents.

These RPR tags mostly appear when the DOC file has had a very poor DTP, i.e. use of fonts and sizes on each individual paragraph instead of simply creating styles, which is the preferred practice.

If the document as a whole has one single font, you will often see that selecting the whole document and applying it the font again (without destroying any other formatting) using the font box in the toolbar already removes a fair amount of RPR tags.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
RPR tags in DOCX files Sep 20, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I agree. However, it's OK for me, because I mainly translate documents like the one used in the video.

In this particular case, the RPR tags appeared after saving from DOC to DOCX in Word 2010. Although I didn't mention it in the video, the original DOC imported without any tags in memoQ. And as I said, Studio 2011 managed to import the DOCX without any tags either, although I got 12 RPR tags with memoQ. This leads me to believe the DOCX filter in memoQ could be improved (to the standard set by Studio).
If the document as a whole has one single font, you will often see that selecting the whole document and applying it the font again (without destroying any other formatting) using the font box in the toolbar already removes a fair amount of RPR tags.

Nice idea. However, I tried it and it didn't change anything: I was still left with the same 12 RPR tags.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:19
English to Polish
+ ...
CodeZapper is low tech too... Sep 20, 2012

of course for the user, it just takes installing the template and clicking the button. For its author its quite a different story....

CodeZapper is not free, but worth having anyway.

Piotr

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Code Zapper Sep 20, 2012

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
of course for the user, it just takes installing the template and clicking the button. For its author its quite a different story....

CodeZapper is not free, but worth having anyway.

Code Zapper is a nifty piece of software and definitely worth having for translators who work in Windows. However, as I mentioned in my reply to your comment on my vlog earlier today, it didn't help in this particular case.

The version of Code Zapper nowadays built into Déjà Vu X2 did help with that same document in DVX2: without it, there would have been tons of codes in the grid, with it there were only a few codes, a few less than in memoQ.

I plan to make a follow up video mentioning Code Zapper and its effects in DVX2.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 09:19
English to Chinese
I want to echo this Sep 20, 2012

[quote]Dominique Pivard wrote:

Studio 2011 managed to import the DOCX without any tags either, although I got 12 RPR tags with memoQ. This leads me to believe the DOCX filter in memoQ could be improved (to the standard set by Studio).

[Edited at 2012-09-20 17:48 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Code Zapper video Sep 21, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
I plan to make a follow up video mentioning Code Zapper and its effects in DVX2.

It's done and published:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/09/21/use-code-zapper-to-kill-unneeded-tags-in-word-documents/
or
http://youtu.be/xj1TecgK20E?hd=1

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

. Sep 28, 2012

Dear Dominique,

Thank you for uploading the video. I do have a question though:

You state that the Déjà vu X2 verson of CodeZapper is superior to the Word version – is that the official position of the author of CodeZapper?

Kind Regards,
PTs

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Standalone vs. built-in CodeZapper Sep 28, 2012

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
You state that the Déjà vu X2 verson of CodeZapper is superior to the Word version – is that the official position of the author of CodeZapper?

I'm not the author of CodeZapper, so I can't answer your question, but I didn't say (or at least didn't mean to say or imply) that the built-in version of CodeZapper is better than the standalone one.

All I said is that the standalone CodeZapper couldn't remove more tags from my sample DOCX file that memoQ hadn't already removed itself, whereas, with the same document, Déjà Vu would have had lots of codes (153) without CodeZapper, but very few (9) with it. What I didn't try is this: run standalone CodeZapper on DOCX, then import in Déjá Vu (without built-in CodeZapper), Chances are the results would be the same.

The standalone CodeZapper gives you more flexibility, since you can choose what macro(s) to run. There are macros for specific tasks and situations. In Déjà Vu, OTOH, you can only tick a checkbox, and accept whatever has been hard-coded.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Low-tech way to get rid of unneeded tags in DOCX in memoQ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »