MemoQ 6.2.3 and Indesign files
Thread poster: Tapsa
Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 02:44
English to Finnish
Dec 3, 2012

Indesign preview (after preparing the files in Language terminal) seems to need some refinement. In my "tests" with true production files the layout is somewhat useable but ultimately wrong - text and other frames are often misplaced and even in wrong order, for example.

And I haven't found a way to create a snapshot with these files (so no versioning/history in a standalone system), and in the translation pane, MemoQ does not show the path to these files. Maybe there is some "switc
... See more
Indesign preview (after preparing the files in Language terminal) seems to need some refinement. In my "tests" with true production files the layout is somewhat useable but ultimately wrong - text and other frames are often misplaced and even in wrong order, for example.

And I haven't found a way to create a snapshot with these files (so no versioning/history in a standalone system), and in the translation pane, MemoQ does not show the path to these files. Maybe there is some "switch" for these that I have missed.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:44
Finnish to French
Using PDF instead of real-time preview Dec 4, 2012

For that reason, I prefer to keep a copy of the source PDF next to the memoQ window. This way I can see what the segments I'm currently translating look like in their original context. I find this much more efficient than the real-time preview. It's also more convenient on a laptop with limited real-estate. I use the same approach with PowerPoint.

memoQ's real-time preview is an HTML, which is only an approximate representation of the actual layout. When the layout is very complex,
... See more
For that reason, I prefer to keep a copy of the source PDF next to the memoQ window. This way I can see what the segments I'm currently translating look like in their original context. I find this much more efficient than the real-time preview. It's also more convenient on a laptop with limited real-estate. I use the same approach with PowerPoint.

memoQ's real-time preview is an HTML, which is only an approximate representation of the actual layout. When the layout is very complex, the HTML preview is just too approximate. And when the file is big, it can take forever to create it at import time.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:44
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Preview Dec 4, 2012

That is why I suggested once that it would be useful to select a PDF as a preview file for a given document. I perfectly realize that synchronization would be very difficult (or even impossible) to program, but even a half-manual mode, i.e. I select a source portion and the relevant part is displayed in the preview window - would be great.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 6.2.3 and Indesign files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »